Photo

Microsoft considered making the Xbox One without a disc drive.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

One of the big questions in the run-up to the Xbox One's announcement was whether Microsoft would drop the disc drive. Back in March 2012, for instance, Epic's Tim Sweeney suggested that a disc-less Xbox One that runs all games on solid state media would have "a dramatic advantage", though he qualified that this is "a completely separate question" from how games are distributed.

Speaking to OXM in our latest issue, Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer has revealed that the idea of a "purely disc-less console" was considered as late as mid 2013, following a strong E3 showing for the manufacturer.

"Obviously, after the announcement and E3, there was some feedback about what people wanted to change," he explained. "There was a real discussion about whether we should have an optical disc drive in Xbox One or if we could get away with a purely disc-less console, but when you start looking at bandwidth and game size, it does create issues.

http://www.oxm.co.uk...nes-disc-drive/

Would of been suicide. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 White Trite Chronicles

White Trite Chronicles

Freelance Police

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

POPULAR

41166.jpg?1349477393

ecmB6v9.gif

PSN ID: TranceKujo. 

#3 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

I remember when that was a rumor.

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

POPULAR

Because the last console that went digital-only sold like gangbusters.

pspgo-bundle-three-games.jpg  

lelowait

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

There's a reason why Nintendo had both eShop and disk versions of games.

That being said, this is coming. The Steamboxes won't need disk drives.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Thank god for that

#7 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

The day Xbox goes full digital is the day I go Playstation.

The day Xbox goes full digital is the day I go Playstation.

#8 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

TBH I only care to the extent that if I'm paying $60 per game I want to either be able to sell it for at least a partial refund or hold onto it forever. I don't have my crystal ball handy, but Microsoft has never had backwards compatibility in their consoles so I highly doubt their next console would let me play all of my XBOne games.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#9 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

Yeah, how about no. I want to buy the Xbax, but not if they do this. That's a shame, I wanted to continue the Halo series too. :/

#10 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

people are not ready yet for digital only consoles , as for me i prefer digital more than disks

#11 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

I'm a fan of digital, the problem I have is the tiny HD's that the consoles currently offer.

32GB and 500GB just isn't enough.

#12 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

I hate digital, it's a con. I only buy digital if the physical doesn't exist.

What's happens if you got Xbone and after one year you wanted to sell if with 10 games you bought? You would rage because you would need to format the hard drive before selling and lose all that money for the games.

I love the physical copy of the games inside their little box with beautiful box art and colour manuals if possible. You don't get any of that with digital, just a big chunk of space taken from your hard drive.

#13 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Never mind the disk drive,should of not bothered with Kinect or the daft price they are trying to charge.
Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#14 Ramon3MR

Ramon3MR

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

That would have been terrible. I seriously would've skipped it.

#15 Mahmoodinho98

Mahmoodinho98

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Fandom:
    Halo,Nintendo,Arsenal and Merrikh

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Well am not sure , should i get ps4 or xbox one

am an xbox fan but ps4 is cheaper so what do you think guys

#16 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

I was a 360 fan and loved Forza and on Xbone would like to play Ryse but ask yourself this,do you want a system that costs a lot more than the PS4 and for the outlay is now where near as powerful. If it's going to be your only system then every single multiplat game is going to be better on PS4.

Also, adverts will appear on the front page of the dash given time & Kinect is $100 and your forced to buy it and let it gather all the info M$ want. 

360-yes

Xbone-no chance in hell

Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#17 Dr Wario

Dr Wario

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Optical discs (including Blu-ray) are only going to exist for a couple more years.  So yeah, Microsoft is thinking the right thing.

undOZ4c.png

#18 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

if you have the money, xbox one. 

bb0.gif

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Optical discs (including Blu-ray) are only going to exist for a couple more years.  So yeah, Microsoft is thinking the right thing.

Same thing was said about records when CD's came out and CD's when MP3's came out and when Blu Ray came out was the death of the DVD. Formats stick around a long time after they been so called replaced. You can find records at Target still. CD's still here. Physical will be around for a good while because there is still a large enough demand.

#20 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Same thing was said about records when CD's came out and CD's when MP3's came out and when Blu Ray came out was the death of the DVD. Formats stick around a long time after they been so called replaced. You can find records at Target still. CD's still here. Physical will be around for a good while because there is still a large enough demand.

And because Many internet providers are monopolistic and slow for what you pay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!