Photo

Steve Jobs more Influential then Miyamoto, What!?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Garolymar

Garolymar

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • NNID:Garolymar
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin/ Anything else Nintendo.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

http://www.modojo.co...imply_baffling/

According to some people yeah... That sounds completely bonkers to me.
Nintendo, the purveyor of games and happiness since the days of the arcade, the savior of the whole damn industry is less influential then a company who made a phone that can play flash games... (Yes I know there are exceptions, but angry birds... that is all) These people are nuts, I know people are entitled to their opinions but this certain opinion is just wrong.Either they were all born yesterday and missed the last couple of decades or they've been smoking some real fine stuff.

Edited by Garolymar, 02 November 2011 - 10:14 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

POPULAR

Only 1,000 people in the sample seems a little small. I'd also be curious to know a little more data on the participants - it really sounds ridiculous to think that Steve Jobs's overnight hit in the iPhone has had a greater effect on the industry than the Wii, DS, or hell, even the NES (besides saving the industry, save data was also invented on the NES - where would we be today without that?).

The data is not, however, invalid - it is completely true for the people that were surveyed. And I share my concerns with the author of the article...

Obviously, this group doesn't necessarily speak for the population at large, but the results are a bit unsettling nonetheless.

Most importantly, it makes us feel like old men, waving our canes in the air and complaining that the younger generation doesn't know a thing about gaming history. We'd be quick to remind them that when Apple was pushing personal computers upon the masses, Nintendo was busy salvaging the damaged video game industry. It was Mario, not Angry Birds, that pulled gaming from the fire.

What we don't like is the suggestion that such results are a sign of the times, and that over the next several years, a new generation of gamers will associate their favorite hobby with Apple, and not old stalwarts like Nintendo, Sega and Capcom.

Please, give us a moment to wipe away some tears.

It somewhat disturbs me when I go to school every day and the iPod Touch or iPhone is the "standard" gaming device. And it downright sickens me that while all my classmates waste their time away with Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, and Jelly Car, they give me a queer look every time I pull my 3DS out and are quick to label anything I open up on it as "childish". Pokemon? It's for little kids. Mario? It's for little kids. Zelda? It's for little kids. Radiant Historia, some game I've never heard of? It's for little kids, because it's on your DS (they cannot even differentiate the 3DS from the DS, but that's another rant for another post). [x TV show I'm watching through Netflix]? Looks legit, but it must be childish 'cause that's all Nintendo has on there.

All right. And then, they go back to launching red birds into green pigs. Enjoy your super mature, highly developed, and high budget $0.99 games.

I'm not saying mobile games don't have their rightful place in the universe, because they always have and always will. But my generation's complete and utter disregard for the products and companies that saved and shaped the industry is deeply disturbing. Seeing as I want to grow up and become a video game developer myself, I sincerely hope this trend turns around by the time I get my degree.

Because, y'know, I don't want to spend $150,000 and four years in DigiPen learning absolutely everything about programming to then go work in a world where serious talent is no longer profitable.

#3 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lucky Star, Animal Crossing, Darkwave.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

POPULAR

Oh my god... what crap. The iPhone probably wouldn't even exist if it hadn't been for the touchscreen DS. The games on it probably wouldn't exist if Nintendo hadn't saved the industry. This is ridiculous, even that site says it is if you read it all. The guy who made facebook helped gaming? Fat. Chance. One of my friends spent £500 on an iPad (ironically now complaining about having no money). He bought angry birds on it, one of my friends showed him Ocarina Of Time on his N64. Do you know what my friend said?
"Lol, that's crap compared to Angry Birds."
Once again, you learn why I only have a few male friends in real life -w-.

Edited by HaHa-No, 03 November 2011 - 12:37 AM.

http://www.20b.org/

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

You know you want to! 'Tis leaked Nintendo information!

#4 Jonke

Jonke

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • NNID:Jonke5
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Pony, Anime

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

Only 1,000 people in the sample seems a little small. I'd also be curious to know a little more data on the participants - it really sounds ridiculous to think that Steve Jobs's overnight hit in the iPhone has had a greater effect on the industry than the Wii, DS, or hell, even the NES (besides saving the industry, save data was also invented on the NES - where would we be today without that?).

The data is not, however, invalid - it is completely true for the people that were surveyed. And I share my concerns with the author of the article...

It somewhat disturbs me when I go to school every day and the iPod Touch or iPhone is the "standard" gaming device. And it downright sickens me that while all my classmates waste their time away with Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, and Jelly Car, they give me a queer look every time I pull my 3DS out and are quick to label anything I open up on it as "childish". Pokemon? It's for little kids. Mario? It's for little kids. Zelda? It's for little kids. Radiant Historia, some game I've never heard of? It's for little kids, because it's on your DS (they cannot even differentiate the 3DS from the DS, but that's another rant for another post). [x TV show I'm watching through Netflix]? Looks legit, but it must be childish 'cause that's all Nintendo has on there.

All right. And then, they go back to launching red birds into green pigs. Enjoy your super mature, highly developed, and high budget $0.99 games.

I'm not saying mobile games don't have their rightful place in the universe, because they always have and always will. But my generation's complete and utter disregard for the products and companies that saved and shaped the industry is deeply disturbing. Seeing as I want to grow up and become a video game developer myself, I sincerely hope this trend turns around by the time I get my degree.

Because, y'know, I don't want to spend $150,000 and four years in DigiPen learning absolutely everything about programming to then go work in a world where serious talent is no longer profitable.

Cannot not agree more. That's why i don't take my 3DS with me anymore. People need to learn to love and tolerate Nintendo! and stop believing that Nintendo is just for kids.

#5 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:09 AM

At first I was like "well, duh" then I read "to gaming" and I said "WTF?!"
Sigh... I grow tired of the foolish foolery of the foolish fools of this foolish country in which I don't even live.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#6 Katana

Katana

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Kart 7.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

We'll I have nothing against Apple but at the same time do not own any of their products (and probably never will)
Apple stuff seems very expensive and I really don't care about mobile phones,my current mobile sends SMS's,can ring people,surf the net and thats all I require from it.Steve Jobs was a clever man no doubts,but Apple is a fashionable brand as much as making tech devices.
But its fair to say without Nintendo and Miyamoto gaming would be dead.And so many things that are industry standard now Nintendo developed.
Plus game design for me is as meritable as making music,painting or sculpting and anything else thats considered art or culture.
The I-Phone might be popular but Mario is the most recognised characeter on the planet,thats a fact...most children in Africa know who Mario is but not Mickey Mouse.
And I hate to say it but its true but when someone dies their achievments are elevated higher etc than when they were alive...so true of many artists and musicians...
Posted Image
Want to race me...??? Just ask for an add...

#7 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:18 AM

Cannot not agree more. That's why i don't take my 3DS with me anymore. People need to learn to love and tolerate Nintendo! and stop believing that Nintendo is just for kids.

Don't let those idiots stop you from taking your 3DS with you! If I listened to my friend Noah on matters like that, I would have throw my 3DS away a long time ago. In the end, it's just their (stupid) opinion, and you shouldn't let it influence your decisions. Trust me when I say that you will eventually find someone who shares yours.

OT:...What...The...Funk... HOW THE HECK IS STEVE JOBS MORE INFLUENTIAL TO THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY THAN SHIGERU MIYAMOTO! I mean.. Miyamoto and Nintendo practically brought gaming back from the dead for the love of Peat! All Apple has done is made a phone, that has allowed stuck up snobs like Rovio to make cheep little flash games! Apple themselves have made no games at all! They didn't even intend for the Iphone to play games! And if you honestly think that Angry Birds is superior in ANY way to Zelda, please, smother yourself in your sleep tonight. You'll be doing the world a favor.

We are surrounded by idiots... -_-
Posted Image

#8 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

One of my friends spent £500 on an iPad (ironically now complaining about having no money). He bought angry birds on it, one of my friends showed him Ocarina Of Time on his N64. Do you know what my friend said?

We also learn that your friend there is an idiot. o_o...

On Topic: This is the single biggest piece of crap I've heard in a looooong time...at least in the past 24 hours. They chose Apple over Nintendo, Microsoft (dare I say it) and Sony? Biased poll is biased.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#9 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

but the problem is people don't know that Shigeru Miyamoto saved the video game industry and aren't aware how important that is. Also, when you go to someone "Whats your favourite game?" They don't go "its Angry Birds"
You just wouldn't.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#10 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

The only logical explanation to this is that 26% of those taking the survey thought it was about the technology industry, rather than the gaming industry. Steve Jobs and Apple are responsible for several great products and have redefined products like MP3 players and Tablet computers with the iPod and iPad respectively. The App Store has also had a huge impact on mobile gaming and the quality of games available for phones has improved dramatically over the last few years. However, Steve Jobs has not influenced the gaming industry nearly as much as the likes of Nintendo and Microsoft.

Oh my god... what crap. The iPhone probably wouldn't even exist if it hadn't been for the touchscreen DS. The games on it probably wouldn't exist if Nintendo hadn't saved the industry. This is ridiculous, even that site says it is if you read it all. The guy who made facebook helped gaming? Fat. Chance. One of my friends spent £500 on an iPad (ironically now complaining about having no money). He bought angry birds on it, one of my friends showed him Ocarina Of Time on his N64. Do you know what my friend said?

Why would one of your friends even want an iPad (assuming that he's about your age)? At that age I would have been much more interested in a DS or PSP than a device like that which is predominantly used for browsing the web.

#11 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lucky Star, Animal Crossing, Darkwave.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

The only logical explanation to this is that 26% of those taking the survey thought it was about the technology industry, rather than the gaming industry. Steve Jobs and Apple are responsible for several great products and have redefined products like MP3 players and Tablet computers with the iPod and iPad respectively. The App Store has also had a huge impact on mobile gaming and the quality of games available for phones has improved dramatically over the last few years. However, Steve Jobs has not influenced the gaming industry nearly as much as the likes of Nintendo and Microsoft.

Why would one of your friends even want an iPad (assuming that he's about your age)? At that age I would have been much more interested in a DS or PSP than a device like that which is predominantly used for browsing the web.

I don't know, my school is odd. Half the girls in my class have rainbow coloured hair now :b. Whenever you say it's a bit homosexual they always say something like "I'm perfectly in-titled to rainbows thank-you-very-much. If they want to be teased for being lesbians in highschool I can't stop them ;).

Anywho, I really don't understand why he wants an iPad. I have an iPod, but purely because I couldn't survive without listening to 3 Inches Of Blood's new album every day :b.

http://www.20b.org/

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

You know you want to! 'Tis leaked Nintendo information!

#12 Nico

Nico

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pikmin, etc.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

POPULAR

Apple is indeed a very influential company, and Steve Jobs was certainly an extraordinary man, but to say that Apple has done anything influential for gaming is, quite simply, a lie. The only thing Apple has accomplished is creating a smart phone which can play Touch Based Games (a genre of game which Nintendo pioneered) the quality of a Flash Game usually. There are rare exceptions, such as the exceptional Infinity Blade, which do make the Smart Phone Market (read: Not just Apple) a bit more hardcore, but overall you simply cannot get a true gaming experience without physical buttons.

Shigeru Miyamoto is absolutely and unequivocally the most influential player in the history of video games, with Nolan Bushnell right behind for pioneering (though not perfecting) Electronic Gaming. Microsoft is almost single-handedly responsible for the rise of Online Gaming for consoles, marking it high on the list of influence as a company, and Sony is home to the (once creative, now lackluster) geniuses who invented the Dual-Analog as well as first used Memory Cards (which, though not as awesome as Hard Drives, are exceptional for being portable) rather than saving data to the game copy.

Apple, on the other hand, has contributed absolutely nothing to gaming (Mac is still trailing behind PC by years in gaming). Smart Phones aren't the rise of a new generation of gaming, rather, they are simply a fad which only the simplest of minds could possibly conceive as more comprehensive and visceral than any true gaming device.

So, what's my point with all of this? The point is that I, along with many other people, know better than to say Steve Jobs was more influential to gaming than, well, pretty much anyone else (Even Zynga was more influential than him). A survey of 1,000 people proves absolutely nothing, as that is an extraordinarily small percentage of even a single state's population, much less a country or the world.

Let people be entertained by their smart phone games, what with their bird flinging, finger-flick slashing good times. Meanwhile, I'll be off playing real games created by true professionals with actual talent.
Posted Image
I like my ponies to be a little mixed up. And with Muffins.

#13 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

*Now has time to read the article* *Reads that the survey was taken in London* Thank goodness that the idiocy isn't coming from my country for once! *Reads that the survey was taken by people who work in the gaming industry* Are these guys exclusive iOS developers?! They would have to be to think that Steve Jobs is more influential than Miyamoto! It says that the survey was for a questionnaire for a London Game Conference. What's the London Game Conference? Just what kind of developers attend this event? Did they survey everyone or just a select few of the attendants?
Posted Image

#14 Randomite

Randomite

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

No love for SEGA :( they did produce the first online console and even introduced trigger buttons and this one here is a bit controversial where the first games console to sucessfully use motion controls with the Samba Di Amigo Maraccas (I am aware that the Nintendo had the power glove, but that hardly worked).

#15 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Thankfully, we're not the only ones who are outraged by this.

Apple has such an influence on society that it has pretty much led most of the media and the public into taking the smartphone gaming market more seriously than consoles, even though it doesn't have any titles that has as much quality and immersion as consoles and handhelds. Remember that SlashGear article that claimed the iPhone 5 is going to kill the 3DS even though Apple has yet to announce it (the iPhone 4S was announced instead)?

I am not doubting Steve Job's legacy on the smartphone market, but if he is qualified to be an influential figure in the gaming industry, shouldn't the Android designers, Andy Rubin, Rich Miner, and Chris White be on there too? Android is gobbling up almost half the smartphone market share, and if Walter Isaacson's biography on Jobs is to be believed, it was the late Apple co-founder's Moby Dick.

#16 Schroedus

Schroedus

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

To those who think that iOS games of Angry Bird's caliber even come close to REAL video games: keep that app for at least 2 years and see if it still has its replay value. Oh wait...it won't, because you would have already upgraded to the newest device. Example: [2 years after Infinity Blade is released] You: Hey guys! Wanna play Infinity Blade in multiplayer mode? Your friends: Huh? Who plays that anymore? What the heck is Infinity Blade? *laughing*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!