Photo

Disturbing Thought- Are We Even Gamers Anymore?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Edited by BrandedSwordsman, 19 May 2018 - 02:08 AM.

#2 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

I play games therefor I am a gamer.
Someone who watches a lot of movies is a film buff.
Someone who reads a lot is a book worm.

This isn't rocket science, stop overcomplicating it people.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

If I am not I am not sure why I have 27 systems 400 games multiple books and merch and soundtracks.

Maybe I'm a space man and didn't know it.

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Well my funny post was taken down but only in an attempt to make a mockery out of such a silly question. The guy in the video shouldn't waste 12 minutes pondering the silly idea and use the time playing a damn game.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Even tho I play about 1-3 hours per day (depending on the system)- I've turned into a hoarder/collector of games.  I only play about 5-10 of the 60 overall titles that I own.

#6 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

I actually think he makes a good point, and I'm curious as to if anyone else even watched the video. If you haven't here's the gist. Basically he's saying we're too caught up in sales figures, marketing, console wars/troll wars, and just all the internet BS that has grown around gaming. Personally I think he's right. We need to get back to just playing and loving the games and not caring about this dumb stuff nor getting involved in these dumb troll wars on the internet. We're gamers, not businessmen (well at least not in the industry, well not most of us). Point being we need to just disconnect and get back to just playing and loving our games.

Now I think I'm going to shut off my computer and spend the rest of the day playing Xenoblade. I'm still at the beginning even though I've logged over ten hours in to the game thanks to this damned addictive and gigantic quest system. Back in the day, I'd be playing this game non-stop. Laterz!

pNgecl.gif

#7 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

a revelation that the gaming community is a joke. 

#8 Ledo Jaeger

Ledo Jaeger

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • NNID:Aarony

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

On gaming as a serious subject:

I have a type of mind that likes to think things through.

As a result, I'm held up from saying 'let's let our games be games, and our lives be our lives'. Truth is that video games, their aesthetics/characters/music/sense of adventure has had a HUGE impact on my life and the way I see the world, and how I find motivation in some things that others view as absolutely charmless. Likewise, some 'valuable' real world interests (the study of Japanese language) stemmed from my childhood gaming addiction.

Some would scorn people investing in the virtual worlds as wasting their time, yet laud Shakespeare and novels and other such things as educational and valuable.

The truth is this, and I believe it is to some extent true for every 'gamer': The world sucks, so we all seek some sort of escapism and that can take the form of Shakespeare, or novels, or movies, or video games - all worlds of our invention. That escapism is more or less severe depending on the person. For me, games stoke the fire of my imagination and help me to see the real world with more hope and happiness.

In other words, I love you

#9 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

At the moment i like to play a game, finish it, then move on. I'll admit I am a bit of a collector (and have a few games that I have never finished)

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

a mad geek? :o

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

I actually think he makes a good point, and I'm curious as to if anyone else even watched the video. If you haven't here's the gist. Basically he's saying we're too caught up in sales figures, marketing, console wars/troll wars, and just all the internet BS that has grown around gaming. Personally I think he's right. We need to get back to just playing and loving the games and not caring about this dumb stuff nor getting involved in these dumb troll wars on the internet. We're gamers, not businessmen (well at least not in the industry, well not most of us). Point being we need to just disconnect and get back to just playing and loving our games.

Now I think I'm going to shut off my computer and spend the rest of the day playing Xenoblade. I'm still at the beginning even though I've logged over ten hours in to the game thanks to this damned addictive and gigantic quest system. Back in the day, I'd be playing this game non-stop. Laterz!

Right?

I seriously wonder if anyone on this forums actually looks at the content people post anymore? I remember something extremely similar to this literally twelve days ago with the "Why 2013 has been the worst year in gaming." thread?

Seriously guys don't come into a thread with a vdeio, just read the title and then go on ranting and raving bout it's title. I'm assuming this is what all of you are doing because the only other feasible thing you could be doing is playing the video, and then spending all eleven minutes with it on mute just staring at the title.

So i'll say now what I said in the "Why 2013 has been the worst year in gaming." thread.

None of you

EVER

EVER

EVER

Play golf.

Mario gold.

Mini golf.

Driving ranges.

I don't give a ballsack.

You will be terrible at it.

You will make people cry.

You might even hit a plane and cause it to crash.

Judging by these threads, you would be THAT far off point.

NEVER. PLAY. GOLF.

No imma go eat dinner, finish this homework, and I'm gonna play video games too. Because I'm in the same position as him where I feel like I don't enjoy games any more, and heck do I want to. AndI actually watched the video, and I'll be danged if that video wasn't inspirational and made me want to game again.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!