• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 -SRS-45-

-SRS-45-

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

Good morning all, was hoping someone could help.  Currently own a Wii which I love (seriously worth every penny for the amount of time spent on MarioKart and Wii Tennis alone).  Thinking about going to Wii U. 

On the Wii the tracking speed of the Wiimote was relatively slow... i.e. you scan across the screen with the wiimote and the cursor would drag behind it until you stopped and it caught up.  Is this the same on the Wii U? or is the tracking faster/does it keep up with the wiimote?

Have looked around for an answer but none came up.

Cheers, James

#2 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

I have a pair of WiiMotes with motion plus and they seem pretty responsive to me. But then again I don't really use the Wii Mode very much. But on Wii U games that do use the Wiimote+nunchuck (like Tropical Freeze) it's nice and responsive.

#3 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:06 AM

Always seemed pretty responsive to me, most Wii U games and apps use the motion+ as well, so that probably makes it a bit more responsive. Have you got Zelda Skyward Sword? It uses the motion+ as well. If you still think that's too slow, then the Wii U won't be much faster.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#4 -SRS-45-

-SRS-45-

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Cheers guys, Zelda Skyward Sword looks great and is on my list... I only really noticed the tracking speed from playing gun games on the wii, I was finding that the target wasn't sweeping across fast enough

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Do you mean to say that the wiimote tracking has been laggy? I've never seen that...

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

That is a software induced feature of the wii, and doesnt actually have anything to do with the wii remote. The actual wii remote IR updates ridiculously fast far faster than your television refreshes, or any normal optical device like a camera, kinect, or the playstation eye.

To put it in perspective, playstation eye and kinect refresh at 60-120 hz. Standard to quite good for a high resolution camera. (although this is just the camera, a lag time of interpereting what is going on in the image is still applied on top of this) The wii u ir camera runs at 24 Mhz, which is 2,400 hz. (a computational lag time is also placed on top of this, but its so much faster than rendering a 480-720+ image that its completely inconsequential in the big picture, simple, elegent, effecient and fast. The wii remote was a fantastic design, something the wii u tablet shares)

It updates so fast that early wii games had problems with it being WAAAAYYYY to sensitive, to the point of responding to the pulse of the user holding it, and in general being a shaky mess.

So a software algorythm was used to average out and slow down the on screen output of the wii remotes ir tracking, to weed out those unconcious muscle movements, twitches, pulse, and other factore us squishy meatbags dont intend to actually have the system pick up, which, has many variations, but often results in the 'dragging the cursor' effect you were describing.

The wii u uses the same exact wii remotes as the wii, so sadly, they feature no improvements, which is a real shame, because as is, the broadcom inside the wii remote is unable to allow the wii remote to report at its full capacity, and in fact, the wii remote is forced to cripple itself, to cut down the amount of data it can record, to the amount it can effectively transmit to the system in a timely manner.

A true shame, by simply replacing that old broadcom with one that has just a little more bandwidth, the motion tracking of the wii remote would improve by orders of magnitude.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 -SRS-45-

-SRS-45-

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thanks 3dude, that's great info.  I still think its a great console, just not for gun games maybe.

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Thanks 3dude, that's great info.  I still think its a great console, just not for gun games maybe.

Definately not a substitute for a light gun, (until nintendo allows the wiimote to transmit all it can record), in fact, the light gun style games, like dead space, or house of the dead, while very enjoyable, are easily the greatest offenders of reticule drag.... The ir is just a superior version of an analog stick, or an alternative to a mouse.

That being said, its fantastic for fps, the only ones worth owning on the system also had highly in depth customization options allowing the player to reduce the 'reticule smoothing' that resulted in drag lag, among many other in depth options.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

You also have to bear in mind that the TV in use will make a BIG difference.

When I upgraded to a TV with horrific input lag it was particularly obvious on the Wii.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

You also have to bear in mind that the TV in use will make a BIG difference.

When I upgraded to a TV with horrific input lag it was particularly obvious on the Wii.

Thats a really good point. I have a plasma, so I tend to forget about that with others.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!