• Please log in to reply
542 replies to this topic

#1 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

You've probably heard of or seen something about it by now. This show by Hasbro called "My Little Pony" seems to be pretty damn popular. What's more, almost every comment I've seen on it has supposedly been from a man who enjoyed it. I finally decided to find out what it was all about, so I watched the pilot episode on Youtube.

I was pleasantly surprised. Even though the ratio of female-to-male characters in the show is 99:1, I honestly found it rather enjoyable to watch. Plot's a little on the cliché side, but the production values and quality of the animation are incredible for a kid's show. Though I'm not gonna dedicate a significant portion of my life to watching it, I'm thinking of watching more of it every now and then, particularly considering how much talent is actually behind the show (they've hired a bunch of people who worked on all of Cartoon Network's classics in the past). And this is coming from someone who doesn't even subscribe to cable anymore because "there's nothing worth watching."

Here's the first episode, if you're interested (it's split into two parts):

Do you have any thoughts on this show?

#2 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:33 AM

Yea, I watch the show. It is actually pretty good, compared to other modern day tv cartoons. What's funny is that most of these fans are adult males.

Including me.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#3 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Trek, Fringe, NCIS, yoshis, fantasy

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

I love the show, and have even made two horribly-drawn pony avatar-thingies for myself and a friend (explanations below the picture).

It's amazing how much talent they put into making those episodes, as opposed to most shows aimed at kids - or at adults, for that matter. Speaking of which, you don't need to be a little child to enjoy a cartoon; in fact, I know some cartoons with cultural references most children wouldn't have gotten.
I always bring up Legos when we're talking about this; it was something aimed at small children who couldn't build something themselves... and now, with components like remote control and motors, fully-grown adults make things out of Legos.

There's now a joke that goes around about how manly ponies are, since the biggest part of the audience is composed of male adults.
I personally think it's because of the change. Not just the effort and thought put into it, but also the happiness and innocence compared to most shows for adults (mostly for...? yes, MEN).

My favorite char would be Spike. Not just because I love dragons, but also because he ends up in some of the least desirable situations. ):
And my second favorite (as well as that of 95% of the audience, I'm sure) would be Fluttershy.
Posted Image

These are my dragon persona Darren's parents. Or Darrents, if you will.
Posted Image

#4 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

Too bad the first season is over. I've heard they were making a second season though :P

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#5 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

And they say Derpy is gonna be a recurring char, woohoo! *boogies*

BTW, who else is ticked off by people calling the show (and its fandom) a "cancer"? Seriously.
Anyone can show me an example of how MLP harms its followers? Anyone can prove that watching it can destroy your life in any way?

Those who bash MLP:FiM only do it because of its fanbase's reputation, which in turn is screwed up only from its most flamboyant (namely perverted or otherwise disturbed) members. But their claims are dumbfounded, seeing such individuals -forming what is called the "fandumb"- will always exist for every single franchise/series out there.

Just wanted to get that off my system. Hopefully that'll reveal any possible haters so I can ignore them.

Edited by Ephesus, 11 May 2011 - 01:31 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

There was a show for my little pony?! :P

*Watches the first episode*

Hmm... Besides feeling awkward for a while, i enjoyed it.
Maybe I'll see another episode... or two...

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#7 SilverMudkip

SilverMudkip

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Pokemon,Sonic,

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

hmmm, this show is quite awkward, and weird

#8 Limelight788

Limelight788

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo, Gran Turismo

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

Was extremely surprise to hear that a TV show based off ponies actually existed. Probably not going to watch anytime soon.

The Official Mega Man for SSB4 Thread

megaman-2.gif

Want Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. 4? Click on the link in the text and show your support!

#9 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:46 AM

Actually, there was already a My Little Pony show, way before Friendship Is Magic. Look up "My Little Pony original cartoon" or something.

Posted Image

#10 SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Fandom:
    NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

Never taken any interest in it.
No signature here....

#11 BonBon

BonBon

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Fandom:
    Homestuck

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

My plan when I signed up was the make the Friendship is Magic general.
It excites me to see an existing fanbase already lurking around.

Posted Image

#12 SRT

SRT

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ponies

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'm hoooooome.

#13 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:07 AM

My plan when I signed up was the make the Friendship is Magic general.
It excites me to see an existing fanbase already lurking around.

As long as this place doesn't turn into the next Pony Corner. B)

I wouldn't consider myself a fan - I don't watch anywhere near enough of the show to fit that classification. But I did find it surprisingly...not bad.

#14 Storm

Storm

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:52 AM

Still waiting for an explanation on why the show's good.

Just because it has decent art and animation doesn't somehow make it a masterpiece that's also not a show catered to 8 year old girls about ponies saving the world.

Edited by Storm, 14 June 2011 - 12:52 AM.

#15 Ruthie

Ruthie

Blooper

• Writers
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Ratchet

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

Just because it has decent art and animation doesn't somehow make it a masterpiece that's also not a show catered to 8 year old girls about ponies saving the world.

I don't understand what you're trying to say? Are you saying that because it's a show catered to 8 year old girls it can't be a masterpiece?
Assistant Writer of Wii U Go and Vita/3DS enthusiast.

#16 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

Feld0 gave a couple of reasons at the beginning.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#17 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

To be honest, it's better than I thought it would be. It's not of the same quality as Rastamouse though, if you ask me.

#18 Storm

Storm

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

I don't understand what you're trying to say? Are you saying that because it's a show catered to 8 year old girls it can't be a masterpiece?

If that's all it is, yes. Masterpieces require depth and complexity that simply isn't there when marketing for young children.

#19 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

If that's all it is, yes. Masterpieces require depth and complexity that simply isn't there when marketing for young children.

You'd be surprised how much good children's shows there are these days, here in the UK at least. I wouldn't say there are many masterpieces, but there's quite a lot of parents who enjoy watching these shows with their children.

#20 Droenix

Droenix

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

I loved the kid shows when I was a kid, the kid shows today aren't bad either. But My Little Pony has such a huge following on 4chan. I don't know if mentioning 4chan here is taboo, so if it is, I apologize.

Edited by Droenix, 14 June 2011 - 12:44 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!