Photo

So for those who finished Skyward Sword what were you disappointed with? (May contain Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Garolymar

Garolymar

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • NNID:Garolymar
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin/ Anything else Nintendo.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

For me it's the music, now I'm not talking all of it just a few songs that I have a huge problem with I'll put them in the spoiler box.

Spoiler

So yeah really that is my biggest problem with the game entirely, the rest is awesome but it's that music that is holding it back from being my Number 1 so Majora's mask it remains.
Posted Image

#2 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

My defense of the music in SS is that MM had literally the worst music in any zelda game. the Temple songs were used once, the Deku temple literally had one word as it's boss music, etc.
I haven't beaten skyward Sword but I really have no complaints. The only issue I had was that they didn't tell you how to flap in game, but that's minor.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#3 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

The only issue I had was that they didn't tell you how to flap in game, but that's minor.

I'm pretty sure that Zelda told you to shake the Wii Remote up and down to flap your wings in the bird riding practice section.

The only thing I'm really disappointed in is the third part of the Lumpy Pumpkin's sidequest.
Spoiler

But overall, it doesn't bother me enough for me to think any less of the game. It's annoying, but I still think Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game (and possibly even the best game) I've played yet.

Edited by Andy, 04 December 2011 - 08:20 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Garolymar

Garolymar

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

My defense of the music in SS is that MM had literally the worst music in any zelda game. the Temple songs were used once, the Deku temple literally had one word as it's boss music, etc.
I haven't beaten skyward Sword but I really have no complaints. The only issue I had was that they didn't tell you how to flap in game, but that's minor.

I'll give you that MM had some pretty bad temple music, excluding Stone Tower's which i thought was awesome. But I was really more upset that The three Harp songs just weren't as memorable as those that were played on the Ocarina by Link In OOT/MM.
25 more years down the line I'll still remember the Song of Healing, Oath to Order and Elegy of Emptiness, The Goddess harp songs I'm not so sure.
Posted Image

#5 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:09 AM

My only disappointment with Skyward Sword is that I haven't played it yet. :(

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#6 8Void8

8Void8

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

I was disappointed with the game in general, but what really bothers me is the direction of the new Zelda games, because this felt like another ds game of Zelda to me, and i didn't hate the ds games of Zelda, i liked them, but they weren't suitable to be successors of Link to the past, Ocarina of time, or even Twilight Princess.
So to me Skyward Sword isn't a worthy successor of those great games, mainly because, the game is small, and i don't mean that the areas were small, for a Zelda game Skyward Sword was small, didn't have much going on, you can tell the attempts they did to make it look like a longer game, and that's one of the things, i felt specially around the end, that they were just trying to delay me from beating the game, from beating a small game, where you mostly just notice Link, Zelda, Fi, Impa, and Groose. I remember specially one part of the game where Zelda talks to you for two hours and all you see its Link's face and her face, it would helped a little cinematic showing you pictures of what shes talking about, i don't know, details like those disapointed me.
The controls are good, they are fun, the puzzles are simplier and don't make you want to kill yourself or something, but like i said, this isn't the epic successor i was hoping for.
You already start with 6 hearts, that's never done before, you have 6 main temples, all in the same 3 areas, with mini temples in between. I was disappointed that there wasn't more temples to beat in the past, i was hoping link would travel to the golden land or something alike to a link to the past, and have more temples there, but no, they make you stay in your little world of 3 main areas. They make you seal the same boss 3 times senselessly, just another attempt to delay you from your main goal. Those who were expecting an epic game like myself might been disappointed, or brain washed by the good reviews this game got, i think it's fun, it's good, but they took a step back in the series, and i'm worried they keep it like that, i hope we get that epic successor in the wii-u.

#7 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

I was disappointed with the game in general, but what really bothers me is the direction of the new Zelda games, because this felt like another ds game of Zelda to me, and i didn't hate the ds games of Zelda, i liked them, but they weren't suitable to be successors of Link to the past, Ocarina of time, or even Twilight Princess.
So to me Skyward Sword isn't a worthy successor of those great games, mainly because, the game is small, and i don't mean that the areas were small, for a Zelda game Skyward Sword was small, didn't have much going on, you can tell the attempts they did to make it look like a longer game, and that's one of the things, i felt specially around the end, that they were just trying to delay me from beating the game, from beating a small game, where you mostly just notice Link, Zelda, Fi, Impa, and Groose. I remember specially one part of the game where Zelda talks to you for two hours and all you see its Link's face and her face, it would helped a little cinematic showing you pictures of what shes talking about, i don't know, details like those disapointed me.
The controls are good, they are fun, the puzzles are simplier and don't make you want to kill yourself or something, but like i said, this isn't the epic successor i was hoping for.
You already start with 6 hearts, that's never done before, you have 6 main temples, all in the same 3 areas, with mini temples in between. I was disappointed that there wasn't more temples to beat in the past, i was hoping link would travel to the golden land or something alike to a link to the past, and have more temples there, but no, they make you stay in your little world of 3 main areas. They make you seal the same boss 3 times senselessly, just another attempt to delay you from your main goal. Those who were expecting an epic game like myself might been disappointed, or brain washed by the good reviews this game got, i think it's fun, it's good, but they took a step back in the series, and i'm worried they keep it like that, i hope we get that epic successor in the wii-u.

I seriously think you played the wrong game.
Skyward Sword is several steps forwards. Less characters means a tighter narrative, which is what Zelda needed. I much rather prefer the revisting of the area's as it makes the game be tighter. At what point in any of the other Zelda games did you ever go back to an area to not look for Heart pieces? Plus, the area's we got was not just a retread like you think, it was an entirely new area inside an area we though we knew. The delaying from the main goal never has occured as far as I am, and I'm roughly 60%. In fact, I was rathered pleased that most of what we had seen and heard of was from the first half of the game, the scene that I thought had occured at the end was actually much closer to the middle. It's also a step forward in how we don't have items like the Spinner( used only in their respective dungeon). The mogma mitts, gust bellows, beetle, etc, are all far better in overall use. I'm still using the beetle, where as in other zelda games, it would have become irrevelent.
All this and more makes SS be a far superior game to TP, OoT, MM, and WW( My former favorite zelda title)

Edited by Natural Harmonia Gropius, 04 December 2011 - 07:37 PM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#8 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with you, my friend. While it is true that you revisit the same areas multiple times; the areas are highly dynamic, and are different each time you have to go there. You would either be given a new section of the area to explore, or be forced to explore the areas you've already been in a new way.
Spoiler

This, in my opinion, makes the areas far more memorable.

This is comparable to Ocarina of Time in several ways. In Ocarina, you often revisited areas from earlier in the game in-order to progress through the story. Each time these area's would be different, having changed in some way. Considering that the areas in Ocarina are considered some of the most memorable areas in the series (Kakarico Village, Kokiri Forest, Death Mountain/Goron City, Zora's Domain, Lon Lon Ranch, etc), I'd say this strategy works rather well.

Now, let's take a look at Twilight Princess. In Twilight Princess, most of the time, once you finished what you had to do in that area there was very little reason to go back and revisit them to do some serious exploring. Think about it. After Beating Snowpeak Ruins, was there really anything to do there other than the sledding mini-game? Was there really much reason to explore Gerudo Desert other than the Cave of Ordeals? Twilight Princess had a huge overworld, but for the most part it was empty and dull.

Spoiler

As for the characters. The Zelda franchise has never been known for amazing character development, with the only game truly excelling in that area being Majora's Mask. Skyward Sword does an excellent job here when compared to most other Zelda games.
Spoiler

Edited by Andy, 05 December 2011 - 11:12 AM.

Posted Image

#9 8Void8

8Void8

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

Natural Harmonia Gropius i did play Skyward Sword lol :P, i played all the Zelda games and i think i know which games i play :3, and i can give you a simple example of where you can revisit an area to do something other than look for heart pieces, and that would be a link to the past, you travel from the light world to the dark world, where the whole world changes and you have to revisit areas to find dungeons, etc. What i said was my personal opinion of the game, maybe i should mentioned i do think skyward sword is a step forward with the items, etc, but this was about pointing disappointments :P, in my very personal opinion the game is a step back, like you say it's tight, and i don't prefer my Zelda games like that, that's the reason why i compared it with the DS games of Zelda, but i can understand people can like this style of game more, my opinion is more like a veteran one, my first Zelda game wasn't even on a console was on a brick game boy, and even then i remember going through 8 different temples, and starting with 3 hearts.

Andy, what you say is also true, the areas are highly dynamic, and some people might like it best that way, like you, and naturally, after stating that this is the best Zelda game you had to come forward and defend it :).
The problem i have with the 3 main areas is not so easy to explain, to me they are not as memorable, compared with the Goron city or the Zora's domain. The areas in SS felt a little like ghost towns, it's hard to understand, but the combination of having 3 options of areas, even if they had other areas inside them, didn't work for me, i did like when the volcano erupted though, i loved the song in the first temple of Lanayru desert ( the only song i will remember ), i liked how the game had fun parts, but the game was missing points that are very important for me, what i liked of Zelda from the beginning, i couldn't find it in this game, and that was my disappointment, i do respect other people opinions and i can understand how they prefer it this way, and that's my main concern lol, but just pointing my disappointments , which a few people will be able to understand.

#10 wschamps05

wschamps05

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

8Void8, i think i completely agree with you on most points. i dont think this game is nearly as good as twilight princess, which puts it extremely far below OOT and my personal favorite, MM. What made those three games great in my eyes was the fact that each area had its own specific race (hylian, deku, goron, zora; although TP didn't really have deku much, if i recall correctly) that you could connect with personally while keeping the main goal in mind, saving zelda. SS's three main areas excluding skyloft had "races" if you can call them that, that i almost didn't care at all about. Unfortunately, i would have cared a lot more about a race of dekus than a race of kikwis. something was lacking involving SS's races that didn't make them as interesting as previous titles. personally i would have enjoyed another storyline about the three main races, it would have felt more like a legit Zelda game to me (although i certainly understand why people would get extremely bored with the same old thing). maybe it was the fact that none of the three SS areas had central "towns" that made me not connect with any of them. like you said, void, goron city and zora's domain are a heck of a lot more memorable than any of SS's areas. As for a tighter story, i sort of like a wide spread story line involving many characters and lots of land to cover. when you interact with a bunch of characters, you get a better understanding of what saving the entire world from evil would truly mean. i think what would have been cool for Nintendo to have expanded upon was not only the creation of the master sword, but the creation of hyrule itself...and i dont mean the well-told story of how the goddesses crafted the land...i mean of how some of the future races became established in each region, that sort of thing. As Andy said, the few changes that a couple of SS's areas went through were very interesting, but i thought i would have enjoyed it a lot more had there been more (and better) side characters to enjoy and get to know.

#11 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

I haven't beat it yet but, the only thing I'm not liking about Skyward Sword is the controls. I'm not to fond of the motion controls. I wish they gave you the option to use the motion controls. Like they could give you the option to use the classic controller or the Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#12 SassyGhirahim

SassyGhirahim

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

I agree with some of the posters here that the music really disappointed me. For the harp music, there wasn't a clear, defined melody on the harp (except the Goddess's song). They made the harp secondary to Fi's singing, plus, there were so many notes on the harp that were being played that all I could distinguish were arpeggios and scales. If they were going to feature that instrument, it should have been in the spotlight, but I guess plucking individual notes is impossible when the Wii makes you simply wave your arm back and forth. Maybe they could have enlarged the harp on the screen and you have to select each note in order with the wiimote? That would have been more memorable than running up to a designated area (ex: goddess wall, stone, silent realm entrance) and flail your arm about. Also, TP had about 9 notes for you to howl for that last song, so, again, it might have worked out this way if we were to learn the Goddess song's individual notes. ^_^ Oh, but there are some areas (not the main harp songs) that have a good harp part (again, only playing arpeggios) like the deepest part of the Forest Temple where all the little waterfalls are at after you beat Ghirahim.

The traveling/flying music wasn't at all memorable to me. It sort of felt like they were copying a rather Super Mario Galaxy-esque feel to the game, but it didn't sound as epic like the first stage of SMG. Also, I remember finally riding through Hyrule field on Epona in TP and the melody changed drastically to make you feel the urgency and scope of what you were trying to achieve. Wind Waker had grasped the musicality of being free, yet, you were also on an important quest you couldn't forget about. Skyward Sword just makes me feel the freedom of flight, but the few beats on the snare drum didn't get me motivated.

However, there is some good innovation with the music as I have noticed in the Forest stage (something I didn't notice in the later stages or I wasn't paying attention), where the closer you get to the Boss door, the more parts/instruments start adding to the music like when you climbed the tower on TP (and OOT, I think...).

But again, music...so...disappointing... :(

Another thing I found to be disappointment: the robots at the Lanaryu Desert. To me, they felt really out of place and so led to my disappointment about the whole area. Or maybe I'm missing something here... :huh:

#13 Garolymar

Garolymar

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

I agree with some of the posters here that the music really disappointed me. For the harp music, there wasn't a clear, defined melody on the harp (except the Goddess's song). They made the harp secondary to Fi's singing, plus, there were so many notes on the harp that were being played that all I could distinguish were arpeggios and scales. If they were going to feature that instrument, it should have been in the spotlight, but I guess plucking individual notes is impossible when the Wii makes you simply wave your arm back and forth. Maybe they could have enlarged the harp on the screen and you have to select each note in order with the wiimote? That would have been more memorable than running up to a designated area (ex: goddess wall, stone, silent realm entrance) and flail your arm about. Also, TP had about 9 notes for you to howl for that last song, so, again, it might have worked out this way if we were to learn the Goddess song's individual notes. ^_^ Oh, but there are some areas (not the main harp songs) that have a good harp part (again, only playing arpeggios) like the deepest part of the Forest Temple where all the little waterfalls are at after you beat Ghirahim.

The traveling/flying music wasn't at all memorable to me. It sort of felt like they were copying a rather Super Mario Galaxy-esque feel to the game, but it didn't sound as epic like the first stage of SMG. Also, I remember finally riding through Hyrule field on Epona in TP and the melody changed drastically to make you feel the urgency and scope of what you were trying to achieve. Wind Waker had grasped the musicality of being free, yet, you were also on an important quest you couldn't forget about. Skyward Sword just makes me feel the freedom of flight, but the few beats on the snare drum didn't get me motivated.

However, there is some good innovation with the music as I have noticed in the Forest stage (something I didn't notice in the later stages or I wasn't paying attention), where the closer you get to the Boss door, the more parts/instruments start adding to the music like when you climbed the tower on TP (and OOT, I think...).

But again, music...so...disappointing... :(

Another thing I found to be disappointment: the robots at the Lanaryu Desert. To me, they felt really out of place and so led to my disappointment about the whole area. Or maybe I'm missing something here... :huh:

I wouldn't say robots are completely out of place. We've had the beamos enemy for years now and it's pretty high tech. For me they fit right in as Zelda tends to be more fantasy and less medievally. There are hints of technology but it's not all that present. Termina had quite a bit of tech going on like the clock tower and the water plant dungeon and goht seemed to be robotic in nature. At least to me he did, so the robots never really bothered me. but to each his own.
Posted Image

#14 SassyGhirahim

SassyGhirahim

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

I wouldn't say robots are completely out of place. We've had the beamos enemy for years now and it's pretty high tech. For me they fit right in as Zelda tends to be more fantasy and less medievally. There are hints of technology but it's not all that present. Termina had quite a bit of tech going on like the clock tower and the water plant dungeon and goht seemed to be robotic in nature. At least to me he did, so the robots never really bothered me. but to each his own.

Well, since I've had time to think about it since I last posted, I had forgotten the possibility that the Thunder Dragon had made these (due to the conversation where he wanted to rename Link using his own robotic system). I guess I'm just used to more organic lifeforms which was why I wasn't so readily accepting of the robots.

#15 Turboblaze

Turboblaze

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, MLP: FiM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

Other than not having very many dungeons and being a bit shorter than I would`ve hoped as a result, I was pretty satisfied with Skyward Sword overall- I think the dungeon-like overworld makes up for the lack of them for the most part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!