TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm talking about game updates. 

I had this idea about stickers and Nintendo's lack of achievements. While I almost never care about achievements, I think stickers would be a good substitute. I loved trying to get them in SM3DW, and now their in Mario Kart to an extent. Not sure if a simple update / dlc could do this, but. I propose we put them through out the games of other Nintendo Wii U titles like DKC:TF, Pikmin 3, WWHD.

It'll be a fun little hunt, and you have to find them, not do something stupid like throw a pig in the ocean. Then you can also use them afterwards. Or we can even make stickers unlock-able like achievements like my pig in the ocean example.

What do you think?

/also putting a bottom screen in DKC:TF but irrelevant. 

Stupid Snowmads!

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Trophies and Achievements are stickers. Like for 5 year olds who get a gold star for good job. ADD mentality OOOH look how many I gotz.

So useless to begin with glad Nintendo didn't go with it and yet N is called childish.

Only time I like them is when you you can use them for currency in game. Uplay I like the idea of or best example to me is Metroid Prime 3.

Edited by DreamCat, 01 May 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#3 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Trophies and Achievements are stickers. Like for 5 year olds who get a gold star for good job. ADD mentality OOOH look how many I gotz.

So useless to begin with glad Nintendo didn't go with it and yet N is called childish.

Only time I like them is when you you can use them for currency in game. Uplay I like the idea of or best example to me is Metroid Prime 3.

2x

I turn on the ps3 and load a new game.

"you got a trophy for loading the game"

wtf? am i 4 or something?

People go crazy over getting them all but i dont see the point.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#4 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

I agree that most are pretty stupid and are useless. I'm not proposing that kind of idea, just collectables persay, stuff you find in the game. Like puzzle peices in DKCTF, the stickers in SM3DW obv, even puzzle peices on the 3ds street pass thing.

Stupid Snowmads!

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

they are nintendo's version of achievements.
It would surprise me if Nintendo didn't share an easy api for those kind of things in their latest devkits.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

I love trophy hunting, it would be a welcomed addition but not necessary.

#7 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

I like how angry and opposed people are to Nintendo adding an optional system that a lot of people enjoy...even going so far as to insult the people who do enjoy it, even.

I do like how Nintendo has implemented achievements in their games so far, though. Unlocking new stuff in Smash Bros Brawl or unlocking new concept art in Prime 3.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#8 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

I like the idea.  But it would be better if it was mainly for secret stuff or for beating the game on Hard mode or something like that.

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:54 AM

Tony the Talking Clock, on 01 May 2014 - 6:42 PM, said:
I like how angry and opposed people are to Nintendo adding an optional system that a lot of people enjoy...even going so far as to insult the people who do enjoy it, even.

I do like how Nintendo has implemented achievements in their games so far, though. Unlocking new stuff in Smash Bros Brawl or unlocking new concept art in Prime 3.

Because those 'optional things' just happen to directly coincide with the mass atrophy of game design and the removal of REAL acheivments, in place of bs that does nothing, adds nothing, but takes away from competent game design, as if ALL of us were too stupid to notice the difference between say, finding the magic cape in zelda despite it not being part of the path to beat the game, and getting an 'acheivment' for crapping your pants in the forest 20 times.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

Because those 'optional things' just happen to directly coincide with the mass atrophy of game design and the removal of REAL acheivments, in place of bs that does nothing, adds nothing, but takes away from competent game design, as if ALL of us were too stupid to notice the difference between say, finding the magic cape in zelda despite it not being part of the path to beat the game, and getting an 'acheivment' for crapping your pants in the forest 20 times.

Whatever you've deluded yourself into thinking, friend. 

I wasn't aware that adding "points" to doing certain things in games removed any and all hope of ever achieving something again in video games for all eternity, slowly making us all brainwashed ignorants slowly marching towards our gaming doom. 

GameZombie44.png

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

But why show off trophies in sigs esp twice?

#12 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

tumblr_inline_mx36i2KYM81s13jp0.gif

You guys are just being selfish at this point.

794144.png?13383682

#13 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

TBH achievements are really dumb.

*Le Abcdude and Tony the Talking Clock chasing me Gw6zf.gif

EDIT: Well, I guess it depends on your definition of achievement... If it's just a little notification that pops up and gives you "gamerscore" for doing something completely mandatory or for going out of your way to lose, that's just stupid. It's "rewarding" you for doing what you're supposed to anyway, and for doing completely the wrong thing.

If it's "rewarding" you for doing something extraordinarily well or the like, I can see people liking that. But even then, what's the point? To show that you're nerd enough to work to get every achievement (no offense :P)? If it's completely necessary to include "achievements" in your game, I'd say you should do it in the style of, you guessed it, Nintendo, where you actually get tangible rewards (like art, music, stamps, what have you) by either finding them, or unlocking them by actually doing something cool.

Sure, if what is essentially getting a "special" ribbon at the fair just for trying is what makes or breaks a game for you, so be it. People have different opinions, and mine just happens to be right. :P (I kid.)

Edited by MatrixChicken, 03 May 2014 - 09:19 AM.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#14 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

I know 3d World has some kind of achievements using stamps and see people either want this feature on every game or would rather have something more worthwhile added, I get that too.

Having the ping when you get a rare trophy is like "huh, ok i got that" and when you see the new rarity system it gives a sense of accomplishment. Some games use them to cover up a crap game though.

It doesn't make or break a games quality overall IMO but when people buy a terrible game just for the easy platinum or gamerscore, that's just sad.

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 03 May 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Tony the Talking Clock, on 03 May 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:
Whatever you've deluded yourself into thinking, friend.

I wasn't aware that adding "points" to doing certain things in games removed any and all hope of ever achieving something again in video games for all eternity, slowly making us all brainwashed ignorants slowly marching towards our gaming doom.

If stupid people buy your diarrea crap as soon as it splatters on their plate, because theyve been convinced by media and marketing that its 'AAA', why would you bother actually making a gourmet meal for anyone?

You should hear some some lectures about game design, like say Jonathon Blows 'Fundamental conflicts in contemporary game design' particularly the part on 'dramatic presentations of non challenge'.

Maybe youll find you deserve better than people defecating all over your face and laughing at you behind your back for being what their marketing department calls 'a whale that will keep buying our product no matter what as long as we tell them its good'.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#16 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

I like having achievements that you need to work for, like stupidly hard things such as 100% the game or get platinum on this mini game and such,

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#17 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

If stupid people buy your diarrea crap as soon as it splatters on their plate, because theyve been convinced by media and marketing that its 'AAA', why would you bother actually making a gourmet meal for anyone?

You should hear some some lectures about game design, like say Jonathon Blows 'Fundamental conflicts in contemporary game design' particularly the part on 'dramatic presentations of non challenge'.

Maybe youll find you deserve better than people defecating all over your face and laughing at you behind your back for being what their marketing department calls 'a whale that will keep buying our product no matter what as long as we tell them its good'.

So achievements keep me buying crappy games? Uh...no. No, they really don't. They don't keep me playing crappy games either.

Please tell me more of how non-mandatory-to-get achievements are the sole reason for destroying games, their difficulty, and any personal achievement therein without actually telling me why.

Also, please use more diarrhea analogies next time, I feel there weren't enough in that post.

TBH achievements are really dumb.

*Le Abcdude and Tony the Talking Clock chasing me Gw6zf.gif

EDIT: Well, I guess it depends on your definition of achievement... If it's just a little notification that pops up and gives you "gamerscore" for doing something completely mandatory or for going out of your way to lose, that's just stupid. It's "rewarding" you for doing what you're supposed to anyway, and for doing completely the wrong thing.

If it's "rewarding" you for doing something extraordinarily well or the like, I can see people liking that. But even then, what's the point? To show that you're nerd enough to work to get every achievement (no offense :P)? If it's completely necessary to include "achievements" in your game, I'd say you should do it in the style of, you guessed it, Nintendo, where you actually get tangible rewards (like art, music, stamps, what have you) by either finding them, or unlocking them by actually doing something cool.

Sure, if what is essentially getting a "special" ribbon at the fair just for trying is what makes or breaks a game for you, so be it. People have different opinions, and mine just happens to be right. :P (I kid.)

I wouldn't chase you over that. I agree, a vast multitude of achievements are silly/stupid. But I find it very, very hard to believe that putting achievements on a game somehow completely destroy any sense of personal/in-game achievement forever and always. I thought 100%ing Shadow of the Colossus was a great personal achievement. Same goes for completing all of the Time Trials on Mirror's Edge. Those past two things were actually quite hard, and, surprise, there were achievements for doing them. Whoops. Guess there's no challenge or even personal achievement made there cause I was rewarded for it with a digital score.

I'ma cri crying-waterfalls.gif

GameZombie44.png

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

I wouldn't chase you over that. I agree, a vast multitude of achievements are silly/stupid. But I find it very, very hard to believe that putting achievements on a game somehow completely destroy any sense of personal/in-game achievement forever and always. I thought 100%ing Shadow of the Colossus was a great personal achievement. Same goes for completing all of the Time Trials on Mirror's Edge. Those past two things were actually quite hard, and, surprise, there were achievements for doing them. Whoops. Guess there's no challenge or even personal achievement made there cause I was rewarded for it with a digital score.

I'ma cri crying-waterfalls.gif

Thats probably because you arent listening to what people are saying and instead making up flimsy strawmen to dismiss instead of considering what other people are actually saying, or bothering to listen to the examples they provide. Content instead to remain completely ignorant and reply with out of context nonsensical 'answers' that you dont understand have nothing to do with what you attempted to reply to. Instead, you continually fall victim to the same thinking traps over and over.

For example this response

'So achievements keep me buying crappy games? Uh...no. No, they really don't. They don't keep me playing crappy games either.'

is completely nonsensical and unrelated to what you were responding too..... You have no clue what you are trying to argue against, or even who or what the subject of the argument is. (You assume its you... Its not.)

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

Thats probably because you arent listening to what people are saying and instead making up flimsy strawmen to dismiss instead of considering what other people are actually saying, or bothering to listen to the examples they provide. Last I checked, I did say that a great deal of achievements are silly/stupid.

Content instead to remain completely ignorant and reply with out of context nonsensical 'answers' that you dont understand have nothing to do with what you attempted to reply to. And yet I haven't heard a single competent, concise answer as to why achievements are singlehandedly killing gaming.

And before you go "lelineversaidthat" direct quote from your first post: "Because those 'optional things' just happen to directly coincide with the mass atrophy of game design and the removal of REAL acheivments, in place of bs that does nothing, adds nothing, but takes away from competent game design" 

Last I checked, achievements/trophies are optional. From what you're saying here, it seems like you're very angry/disgusted at the fact that you get some sort of digital trinket for doing something in a game, even secret-y stuff. While, yes, I do wish more games had in-game achievements, it's not like the overall achievement system is just completely ruining game design forever and always.

Instead, you continually fall victim to the same thinking traps over and over. Sound familiar?

For example this response

'So achievements keep me buying crappy games? Uh...no. No, they really don't. They don't keep me playing crappy games either.'

is completely nonsensical and unrelated to what you were responding too..... You have no clue what you are trying to argue against, or even who or what the subject of the argument is. (You assume its you... Its not.) 

You're right, actually. What I said WAS unrelated. Just as unrelated as your response to what I said was. Not only did you not actually explain anything that I asked, you insinuated that I'm mindlessly following certain brands while being "defecated on" by companies just for playing the games I enjoy playing. And again, direct quote: Maybe youll find you deserve better than people defecating all over your face and laughing at you behind your back for being what their marketing department calls 'a whale that will keep buying our product no matter what as long as we tell them its good'."

Spoiler alert: I actually do research on the games I play. If a game series is good, I try/buy it and play it, simple as that. I don't care about marketing or hype. I do research on how good a game actually is, check reviews, ask friends that've played the series and make my decision from there.

Responses in bold.

Stop beating a dead horse and further dragging the thread off-topic.

GameZombie44.png

#20 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

I am actually interested in an example, as well.

I don't even...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!