Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

Macklemore has apologized to anyone offended by the costume, which many perceived as anti-Semitic, that he wore to a recent concert. In a statement on his website, he wrote that he never intended to come across as a Jewish caricature. "Unfortunately at the time I did not foresee the costume to be viewed in such regard," he wrote. "I'm saddened that this story, or any of my choices, would lead to any form of negativity."

Where Does Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' 'Can't Hold Us' Rank on Our 10 Best Music Videos of 2013 List?

The Seattle rapper had surprised fans with a short set at the Experience Music Project Museum last Friday night, as well as with his get-up: a large nose, bowl-cut wig and Hasidic-looking beard. In the note, Macklemore said that he decided to go to the gig in disguise so that he could walk around incognito and truly surprise fans when he took the stage. He had assembled the outfit from a witch nose he'd bought at a costume shop and some faux hair he picked because it was the furthest from his natural hair color.

"Disguise was the intention," Macklemore wrote. "I personally thought I looked very ambiguous in terms of any 'type' of person. Some people there thought I looked like Ringo, some Abe Lincoln. If anything, I thought I looked like Humpty Hump with a bowl cut." Later in the missive, he added, "The character I dressed up as on Friday had no intended cultural identity or background. I wasn’t attempting to mimic any culture, nor resemble one. A 'Jewish stereotype' never crossed my mind."

While the rapper was surprised and disappointed that people were so quick to assert that his costume was anti-Semitic, Macklemore acknowledged how, "within the context of stereotyping," the costume could be seen as a Jewish caricature, and apologized to those who were offended.

"I hope that anyone who may question my intent take a few moments to discover the human and artist that I strive to be," he wrote. "I respect all cultures and all people. I would never intentionally put down anybody for the fabric that makes them who they are. I love human beings, love originality, and. . . happen to love a weird outfit from time to time."

The goof is a blemish on an otherwise monstrous year for Macklemore. Back in January, he and producer Ryan Lewis picked up two Grammys, including Best Rap Album (though as he later told Kendrick Lamar, and the world, he felt the Compton rapper was "robbed"). The rapper delivered a truly unique Grammy performance as well, delivering his pro-gay, pro-unity track "Same Love" as 34 gay and straight couples were married on stage.

Read more: http://www.rollingst...0#ixzz32EHCOyiu 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

i think people are overacting to this. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Free the gays

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Never heard of him. Sounds like a fish by the name.

#4 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

I definitely think that costume looks... questionable.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

I have no idea who this guy is, but his costume would have to be pretty... outrageous to express open hatred/voilence towards the jewish community.

What did he dress as a nazi or gas house or something? Was the song about the holocaust or genocide?

Im going to need to look into this.

Oh. He wore a custume that made him look ethnically Jewish. Well, now context is key.

I cant find out what the songs he was singing were about in any of the articles. But did the songs touch on any of the anti semetic themes?

Were they about religiously attacking judaism? (Christ killers etc)
Were they about harmful jewish stereotypes known to be used in anti semetic propaganda to encite voilence or other actions?
Were they about describing the jewish as being socially inferior, vulgar/dirty, shunned from personal contact?
Was it about racism? Did it describe the jewish as being an inferior race and thus not really people but more like animals?
Was it about ideological hatred of the Jewish race? Did he describe the jewish as 'cosmically evil'?
Was it cultural hatred? Did the songs express the belief the jewish culture was undermining and eroding the cultural fiber of the world and would be the eventual end of civilization?

If none of the above, then I dont think we have anything actually anti semetic.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have no idea who this guy is, but his costume would have to be pretty... outrageous to express open hatred/voilence towards the jewish community.

What did he dress as a nazi or gas house or something? Was the song about the holocaust or genocide?

Oh. He wore a custume that made him look ethnically Jewish. Well, now context is key.

I cant find out what the songs he was singing were about in any of the articles. But did the songs touch on any of the anti semetic themes?

Were they about harmful jewish stereotypes known to be used in anti semetic propaganda to encite voilence or other actions?
Were they about describing the jewish as being socially inferior, vulgar/dirty, shunned from personal contact?
Was it about racism? Did it describe the jewish as being an inferior race and thus not really people but more like animals?
Was it about ideological hatred of the Jewish race? Did he describe the jewish as 'cosmically evil'?
Was it cultural hatred? Did the songs express the belief the jewish culture was undermining and eroding the cultural fiber of the world and would be the eventual end of civilization?

Not anti semetic perhaps, but definitely questionable when dressing up as another culture and also enforcing stereotypes.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Not anti semetic perhaps, but definitely questionable when dressing up as another culture and also enforcing stereotypes.

Questionable is definately an apt description.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

I'm not Jewish, but that's as offensive as a white person dressing up with fake light colored lips and charcoal paint end skin would be to black people.

Dude was making fun of an ethnicity. No way around it.

Don't think it was meant to incite hate. But it was meant to make fun.

And not in a good way.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 20 May 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

I'm not Jewish, but that's as offensive as a white person dressing up with fake light colored lips and charcoal paint end skin would be to black people.

Dude was making fun of an ethnicity. No way around it.

Don't think it was meant to incite hate. But it was meant to make fun.

And not in a good way.

Could have been. But that scenario doesnt seem to fit in with the information I have read on him to gain perspective on this. Doesnt seem the type to make fun that way.

Could have also been a failed attempt at jewish humor (woody allen/mel brooks), with mackeral not knowing actually being jewish is kind of a prerequisite for it to work right....

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

Could have been. But that scenario doesnt seem to fit in with the information I have read on him to gain perspective on this. Doesnt seem the type to make fun that way.Could have also been a failed attempt at jewish humor (woody allen/mel brooks), with mackeral not knowing actually being jewish is kind of a prerequisite for it to work right....

Hope that's accurate.

Would be a shame.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

Hope that's accurate.

Would be a shame.

Well, I guess the only person who knows for sure is mackeralintosh.

He was pretty quick to apologize. So if he didnt see how the costume was a problem at first, he certainly must have recognized it as a whoopsie after the fact.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

He's the greatest music artist of the year. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!