#1 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

POPULAR

Yup, my video review of Mario Kart 8!  :laugh:

Edited by ZyroXZ2, 17 June 2014 - 11:11 AM.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

Enjoy!  :laugh:

#2 Kardibask

Kardibask

Ninj

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • NNID:Kardibask
  • Fandom:
    Marvel, DC Comics

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'm curious about what you thought of Battle Mode, that seems to be a common complaint, and you didn't touch upon it in the review.

e674231265.jpg

#3 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

I'm curious about what you thought of Battle Mode, that seems to be a common complaint, and you didn't touch upon it in the review.

I quote directly from my review:

"Lastly, I found the new jousting nature of Battle Mode to be refreshing from the all out chaos of an arena."

So yes, I did touch upon it, lol  ^_^

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

#4 the gamz girnalizt

the gamz girnalizt

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    criticising nintendo

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

I love your review. It's really professional and informative.

gamz girnalizm all da way

#5 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

The game is so fun and looks so sharp that I have no problem with the rating of a ten.... But I do have some gripes.  I hate the baby characters.  I also wish we could put together our own combination of courses. Rainbow Road wasn't as cool as the 3ds version, but it's still a good track. I hope they have DLC- they would almost be foolish not to.  I'd love to have a few more cars, characters and bonus tracks, even if they are just remastered old ones (but could it hurt for them to add a new one or two?)

#6 Kardibask

Kardibask

Ninj

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • NNID:Kardibask
  • Fandom:
    Marvel, DC Comics

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

I quote directly from my review:

"Lastly, I found the new jousting nature of Battle Mode to be refreshing from the all out chaos of an arena."

So yes, I did touch upon it, lol  ^_^

Ah, sorry. I missed that  :blush:

e674231265.jpg

#7 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Rockodoodle, on 05 Jun 2014 - 6:25 PM, said:

The game is so fun and looks so sharp that I have no problem with the rating of a ten.... But I do have some gripes. I hate the baby characters. I also wish we could put together our own combination of courses. Rainbow Road wasn't as cool as the 3ds version, but it's still a good track. I hope they have DLC- they would almost be foolish not to. I'd love to have a few more cars, characters and bonus tracks, even if they are just remastered old ones (but could it hurt for them to add a new one or two?)

I think a lot of people have a problem with the roster new battle mode, but you have to keep in mind that people only want those things because they're comparing this game with the previous installments. If you were take the game as a standalone (as you really should), I see no problem in rating it ten out of ten.

Edited by WydrA, 05 June 2014 - 05:00 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#8 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

The game is so fun and looks so sharp that I have no problem with the rating of a ten.... But I do have some gripes.  I hate the baby characters.  I also wish we could put together our own combination of courses. Rainbow Road wasn't as cool as the 3ds version, but it's still a good track. I hope they have DLC- they would almost be foolish not to.  I'd love to have a few more cars, characters and bonus tracks, even if they are just remastered old ones (but could it hurt for them to add a new one or two?)

You CAN put together your own combination of courses: VS Mode lets you pick how many races, and if you want to manually pick each course...

Ah, sorry. I missed that  :blush:

No worries, gotta listen to the werds dat r comeeng off of my mouf!

I think a lot of people have a problem with the roster new battle mode, but you have to keep in mind that people only want those things because they're comparing this game with the previous installments. If you were take the game as a standalone (as you really should), I see no problem in rating it ten out of ten.

I think people don't want change in the Battle Mode, but I find it refreshing, the same way I actually found CoD:Ghosts' multiplayer changes refreshing.  Suddenly, running and gunning was the way to die in Ghosts, and I worked with it and found that the concept of slowing down and being careful worked well.  Battle Mode in MK8 is now basically a joust: you have to race as much as prepare to face another racer head on, and between the bits of track are open areas that can be used as battlefields.  It's quite a bit better than people make it sound; people just love complaining when something they were once good at or liked changes!

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

#9 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, my homeboy Zyro at it again. I agreed with everything you just said. Love the replay feature. The new battle format is refreshing, 11/10 for me

#10 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

never liked battle mode anyway so that dosnt bother me at all,could of done without the baby characters but apart from that its the best mk ever imo

#11 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, my homeboy Zyro at it again. I agreed with everything you just said. Love the replay feature. The new battle format is refreshing, 11/10 for me

Thanks!

never liked battle mode anyway so that dosnt bother me at all,could of done without the baby characters but apart from that its the best mk ever imo

The baby characters don't bother me, they're mostly for the kids to play as when they play with their parents.  Let bygones be bygones I always say!

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

#12 alex15810

alex15810

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

Nice review. I disagree with a few points however. I do find the battle mode to be a serious letdown, not refreshing, as the tracks are too large and you end up just driving aimlessly. To me it makes battle mode unplayable. I also have a few other complaints such as no online in game voicechat, too many alts of the same character (mario, baby mario, metal mario, ect) instead of more variety of characters, and no special unlockables to give you incentives to gold cup higher difficulties.

However, I still love the game. I personally gave it a solid 4/5 stars.

Edited by alex15810, 13 June 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#13 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Great review.

#14 alex15810

alex15810

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thanks!

The baby characters don't bother me, they're mostly for the kids to play as when they play with their parents.  Let bygones be bygones I always say!

I wouldn't mind one or two, but 4 seems excessive. There's so many other characters from the Mario universe I would have rather seen instead - goomba, magikoopa, hammer brothers, King Boo, Diddy Kong, ect.

Edited by alex15810, 13 June 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#15 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Agreed..... hopefully they will have DLC to remedy this.

@ ZyroXZ2, thanks for pointing out customization in vs. mode.  It has the option to play 3, 4, 8, 12, all the way up to all 32 tracks- that's pretty cool.  I might do the whole thing tonight.

I wouldn't mind one or two, but 4 seems excessive. There's so many other characters from the Mario universe I would have rather seen instead - goomba, magikoopa, hammer brothers, King Boo, Diddy Kong, ect.

#16 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Nice review. I disagree with a few points however. I do find the battle mode to be a serious letdown, not refreshing, as the tracks are too large and you end up just driving aimlessly. To me it makes battle mode unplayable. I also have a few other complaints such as no online in game voicechat, too many alts of the same character (mario, baby mario, metal mario, ect) instead of more variety of characters, and no special unlockables to give you incentives to gold cup higher difficulties.

However, I still love the game. I personally gave it a solid 4/5 stars.

I answered more in-depth about the battle mode above.  While I'm not saying that you cannot disagree, I am mentioning that if you're driving around aimlessly, you might need to consider how you're handling the "new" Battle Mode.  Chances are, people are bunched up in an area duking it out like I've seen, while a few others will use the roads to either joust or get away from the action and do a U-turn to come back once they have an item.  It's actually quite a serviceable mode once you change your approach!

As for in-game voicechat, I was originally going to include that as a sarcastic thing on my "why, why, why" stuff, but truth be told, I can tell you that it's only going to be a "F--- THIS" and "You B----" and "Son of a B----", or what boils down to a varied yet rather limited stream of obscenities.  Any long-time Mario Kart player knows how frustrating it is, and with the online in Wii and MK7, it only became more frustrating because there were humans on the other end.  Voicechat will not be filled with conversation of any worth, lmao  :laugh:

FYI, getting gold cups on higher difficulties (150cc, mirror) gives you the gold kart...

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

#17 alex15810

alex15810

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

I answered more in-depth about the battle mode above.  While I'm not saying that you cannot disagree, I am mentioning that if you're driving around aimlessly, you might need to consider how you're handling the "new" Battle Mode.  Chances are, people are bunched up in an area duking it out like I've seen, while a few others will use the roads to either joust or get away from the action and do a U-turn to come back once they have an item.  It's actually quite a serviceable mode once you change your approach!

As for in-game voicechat, I was originally going to include that as a sarcastic thing on my "why, why, why" stuff, but truth be told, I can tell you that it's only going to be a "F--- THIS" and "You B----" and "Son of a B----", or what boils down to a varied yet rather limited stream of obscenities.  Any long-time Mario Kart player knows how frustrating it is, and with the online in Wii and MK7, it only became more frustrating because there were humans on the other end.  Voicechat will not be filled with conversation of any worth, lmao  :laugh:

FYI, getting gold cups on higher difficulties (150cc, mirror) gives you the gold kart...

I had no idea there was a gold kart. Good to know I was wrong about that.

And I understand where Nintendo is coming from on voicechat, wanting to protect kids but we should be able to chat in game with players on your friends list at least. I have real life friends who play this game and I hate that I can't talk to them online while playing. Some people may curse every other second but there are also a lot of decent people who play the game.

As for battle mode...that's a good point but still part of battle mode strategy to me has always been to keep moving. If you stay in one location you are more or less defenseless and if you keep moving you will have a lot of trouble finding enemies. They just aren't built for battles. Not enough wide open spaces, the tracks are just too thin.

What I really don't like though is it smells to me like developer laziness. I don't see a good reason for using regular tracks as the battle arenas. They either #1 wanted to save developer time by not building battle arenas, or #2 they plan to monitize battle arenas by releasing them in DLC later. Part of me wants to see battle arenas in DLC but part of me is going to be upset if it does happen because arenas should have been included with the $60 I paid for the original game.

OK that's enough griping. Like I said though I love the game and these are all minor complaints. I love love love the game and can't stop playing it. Nintendo overall did a fantastic job.

Edited by alex15810, 17 June 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#18 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yeah I have to agree on the voice chat thing. Game is more than fine without it, and with it the online could have ended up sounding like Call of Duty or something. No one wants sane wants that.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#19 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yeah I have to agree on the voice chat thing. Game is more than fine without it, and with it the online could have ended up sounding like Call of Duty or something. No one wants sane wants that.

I was just playing with the German girl I interviewed, and she was telling me how many times she kept saying "sh !t" in German when I asked what she must be saying on the other end, lol...

I don't think any meaningful conversation can come from voicechat in-game, but I do get why the guy above wants it so that he can at least cuss it out with his friends.  Either way, I haven't found myself "missing" it, but I get the perspective some have on it!

Edited by ZyroXZ2, 17 June 2014 - 07:35 PM.

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

#20 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

im a decent guy but swear ALOT in games especially when frustrated and can understand why theres no in game chat on mk and it dosnt bother me at all :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mario Kart 8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!