Photo

Aonuma wants to include less tutorials in Zelda U, ethink/reconstruct the idea o

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

f puzzles.

http://kotaku.com/th...pect-1590544423

Schreier: I just have to slip in one question that a lot of people are wondering—Mr. Aonuma, you've talked a lot about changing traditions and shifting away from the series formulas. Can you give me one example of a tradition that people are familiar with in Zelda that you've changed in a big way for the new Zelda that you're working on for next year?

Aonuma: So you know we've talked a little bit today about the puzzle-solving element in Zelda, and how that's kinda taken a different shape in Hyrule Warriors. But I think people have come to just assume that puzzle-solving will exist in a Zelda game, and I kinda wanna change that, maybe turn it on its ear.

As a player progresses through any game, they're making choices. They're making hopefully logical choices to progress them in the game. And when I hear 'puzzle solving' I think of like moving blocks so that a door opens or something like that. But I feel like making those logical choices and taking information that you received previously and making decisions based on that can also be a sort of puzzle-solving. So I wanna kinda rethink or maybe reconstruct the idea of puzzle-solving within the Zelda universe.

http://kotaku.com/ze...dium=Socialflow

See, the Wii's second Zelda game is packed with introductions and tutorials, to the point where it takes four to five hours before you can actually startplaying. That slow start was the biggest fan complaint about Skyward Sword, and for some critics, it became symbolic of Zelda's decline over the years.

Fortunately, Eiji Aonuma—the guy who runs Zelda for Nintendo—is aware of that problem. And when I spoke to him about it during an interview at E3 last week, he acknowledged that in hindsight, maybe it wasn't such a great idea to overload players with that many instructions. Speaking through translator Reiko Ninomiya, Aonuma promised that future Zelda games will take a step back.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

i can see that going many different ways.

#3 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

Seems like Aonuma is trying to fix the franchise after it was bastardized by Ocarina of Time. A Link Between Worlds was a step in the right direction, and even though it fell a little flat in the end, it was at least better than those DS abominations.

Hope this one doesn't turn out as terrible as Skyward Sword.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#4 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

Sounds good, was it aonuma who stated "getting lost is good" a while back? Because this goes along with that statement very well, hopefully exploration, adventure and discovery are the philosophies behind the new zelda cause if they are it can only end wonderfully. So hyped for this game!

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#5 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

They could, you know, just get rid of tutorials all together. Just have the tutorial on a DVD apart like they did with mario galaxy 2 or simply have a training option to learn stuff and then when you start the game you get right into the action!

#6 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

Seems like Aonuma is trying to fix the franchise after it was bastardized by Ocarina of Time. A Link Between Worlds was a step in the right direction, and even though it fell a little flat in the end, it was at least better than those DS abominations.

Hope this one doesn't turn out as terrible as Skyward Sword.

So after 20-something years we're just now realizing OoT turned Zelda to crap? What game are Zelda fans supposed to worship now?

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

So after 20-something years we're just now realizing OoT turned Zelda to crap? What game are Zelda fans supposed to worship now?

The same one they should have been truly worshipping the whole time.

Links_Awakening_box.jpg

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Get a calculator and subtract 1998 from 2014.

#9 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

But aren't we all going to miss this?

It was the best part of the game. ;)

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#10 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

They dont need to stop worshiping OoT, they just need to start cursing the publishers response to OoT: see Cod4+, Re4+, any mario after galaxie, streamlining of the current game market ect. all The BS came from coping one or a few great games. legand of zelda did hole up much better than most other franchises, though not trying to spam releases certainly would have helped with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!