#1 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

With the upcoming Nintendo handheld being 3D what are the chances of the next home console being 3D. Iwata said that they made the 3DS 3D because it comes with its own screen so you don't need those expensive 3D TVs.

Does this mean no 3D for Wii 2?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#2 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

Probably yes. 3D TV's are still too niche a market for Nintendo to go after it. I think the Wii 2 will be powerful enough to handle 3D smoothly, but Nintendo will enable the functionality through a software update when they think it's worth advertising it.

Here's an article that even shows they officially said they won't do it (I know the article's in German; but I can read it, trust me).

On the other hand, here's some proof that says they will.

Confusing. :?

#3 Dh00mGuard

Dh00mGuard

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Pokemon

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

Suppose they do add 3d support. it will be curious if games will end up with lip service 3d like most movies or created top to bottom with 3d in mind.

#4 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

Probably yes. 3D TV's are still too niche a market for Nintendo to go after it. I think the Wii 2 will be powerful enough to handle 3D smoothly, but Nintendo will enable the functionality through a software update when they think it's worth advertising it.

Here's an article that even shows they officially said they won't do it (I know the article's in German; but I can read it, trust me).

On the other hand, here's some proof that says they will.

Confusing. :?

That is confusing, I was going to say that maybe it will be contingent on whether people start to buy 3D TVs in the next year but I forgot that they have to start planning this thing now. I also think it will depend alot on how the 3DS does. I mean if people buy the 3DS and hate the 3D effect (I doubt it) its unlikely that the Wii will be 3D.

Looking at you links, though, it seems Iwata is for 3D BUT he has to get it on a mass scale. How he will do that without supplying us with 3D TVs.

3D TV/ Wii 2 bundle, anyone?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP

#5 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

Suppose they do add 3d support. it will be curious if games will end up with lip service 3d like most movies or created top to bottom with 3d in mind.

That would be the problem with adding 3D support afterwards; games not designed specifically for it will look really cheesy. It's certainly something to think about...

Um, no. I can't see that working in the marketplace; not at the global scale, anyway. I suppose individual retailers could offer bundles themselves, but Nintendo has better things to do than go strike deals with TV manufacturers (probably including Sony, which is speeding ahead with 3D technology) to bundle their system with their sets.

#6 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:37 AM

Multi Platform games might end up having the 3d added on afterwards. I can't wait to see how those games look on the 3DS.

Um, no. I can't see that working in the marketplace; not at the global scale, anyway. I suppose individual retailers could offer bundles themselves, but Nintendo has better things to do than go strike deals with TV manufacturers (probably including Sony, which is speeding ahead with 3D technology) to bundle their system with their sets.

I just don't know how they would do it then... maybe 3D would be a safer option for Wii 3 ;) . We will just have to wait and see how things go this year, in England, the last thing people will do this year is go out and buy 3D TVs will all the cuts and economic downturn, VAT rise, making 3D TVs more expensive when they should be made cheaper.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP

#7 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:51 AM

I just don't know how they would do it then... maybe 3D would be a safer option for Wii 3 ;) . We will just have to wait and see how things go this year, in England, the last thing people will do this year is go out and buy 3D TVs will all the cuts and economic downturn, VAT rise, making 3D TVs more expensive when they should be made cheaper.

You're not alone. Up here in Canada, 3D TVs are way too expensive for most of us, too. However, you can find some freakin' amazing value on 2D ones now. But yeah, it may just be a waste of resources on Nintendo's part to develop 3D support when a large part of the consumer base will never be able to use it. Here's an article at 3DS Buzz (the site I work for) explaining it better.

#8 Revolution

Revolution

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:23 AM

That would be the problem with adding 3D support afterwards; games not designed specifically for it will look really cheesy. It's certainly something to think about...
I suppose not all games would be 3D, and the one before 3D compability certainly not. Look at PS3, it can run with 3D, but not all games can be played in 3D.

#9 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

Didn't Sony release an update that made almost every single PS3 game 3D, including all the older ones not designed for the format?

As I don't have a PS3 myself, I can't really comment much on its 3D abilities, but I've been told it runs like crap in 3D mode. Nintendo have a lot of work in front of them if they want to create a smooth 3D experience, if the PS3 isn't quite powerful enough for it; that might jack the price up uncomfortably high. Actually, I just wrote an article about this; it explains this a bit better.

#10 Revolution

Revolution

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Nope, only the games with a 3D-logo on the boxart are playable in 3D.

#11 Gamer

Gamer

Blooper

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Mario, Wii, DS

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

I'm not sure if I'll even like the idea of the Wii 2 being 3D. The 3DS is cool cause it's on a portable console, but with Sony, they're having 3D TVs, and 3D games for the PS3.

Imagine Mario thowing Kuribo's shoe at you and say: "THIS is why I never used it again after Mario 3! It's-a smelly!"

#12 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Trek, Fringe, NCIS, yoshis, fantasy

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:35 AM

I'm tempted to make a Star Trek reference by talking holoprojectors.
Well... technically, such devices already do exist - I think they use lasers. But they're big, and reeeeaally pricey.

All jokes aside, I'm not sure the 3D feature would grant a good start for the Wii 2, considering 3D televisions themselves are still in their debut. Maybe they'll have the feature on the console, but then the 3D games would have to wait a little longer.

And Gamer, as long as they don't push the realism so far as adding smell, it's fine. XD

These are my dragon persona Darren's parents. Or Darrents, if you will.
Posted Image

#13 Gamer

Gamer

Blooper

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Mario, Wii, DS

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:02 AM

And Gamer, as long as they don't push the realism so far as adding smell, it's fine. XD

I know, I just wanted to make a funny scentence.

#14 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

Hmm... Didn't Nintendo make Luigi's Mansion 3D by adding something on top of their TV? Could they perhaps make an adjustable version of that and ship it with the console?

I mean, it has been almost 10 years... It could very well be possible. Especially because it would be a punch in the face to Sony, something that I'm sure Nintendo would love to do ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#15 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

They did say that in an old interview, which I think is still lying around on 3DS Buzz somewhere. It does sound neat, to attach something to your TV that would make it 3D, but then we run into the issue of fitting it to different-sized screens - I don't think technology has come quite that far yet, to allow a one-fits-all design for something like that.

#16 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

That's why I suggested the adjustable part ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#17 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Trek, Fringe, NCIS, yoshis, fantasy

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

I know, I just wanted to make a funny scentence.

I know that you know, I just wanted to make a funny reply. :ugeek: *phaser'd*
Also, i c wut u did thar. With "scentence".

And, erm. I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "adjustable" something to make your screens 3D.
All I can think of is some sort of polarizing mask, which'd allow two superimposed images to be seen separately (by polarizing two adjacent pixels in a different direction, with the help of 3D glasses with polarizing lenses as well). But that won't work on plasma and LCD screens, since the light is already polarized (something I learned when I was watching TV while wearing shades and tried tilting my head).

These are my dragon persona Darren's parents. Or Darrents, if you will.
Posted Image

#18 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

Well... Umm... I've got nothing ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#19 Mark

Mark

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

I think the Wii 2 will support 3D, but I highly doubt Nintendo will make a big deal about it. Maybe say, a sticker on the box art saying " Stereoscopic 3D supported". Other than that I can't see Nintendo putting all their resources into 3D.
Posted Image

#20 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

Something to consider is that you don't need a 3D Tv in order to have a 3D experience on Wii's successor. VR displays aren't anything new and with Nintendo's interest in 3D I'd be surprised if they stopped considering the idea simply because the Virtual Boy system was a total failure. Nintendo's already experimented with the necessary technology during the development of the Wii to create desktop VR displays. All that's needed is a camera that tracks the position of your head. The problem with VR desktop displays though is I'm not sure it can be utilized effectively outside games like FPS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!