Photo

Would you like Nintendo's next system to have achievements?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TibetanMonk

TibetanMonk

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:39 AM

On the PS3 I was heavily into collecting them for games I really liked. But only after finishing the first playthrough. They add a bit of replay value, which is a good thing. Ofcourse great games generally don't need them though. It would be fun if Nintendo did this, but I don't mind at all if they don't. What do you guys think?

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

No. Stickers for playing games is stupid. Stamps are dumb but at least let you use them. 3Dude will probably go on why game design is compromised by achievements now. Which he is correct on.

The only way I'd accept them is if they were done like in Metroid Prime 3. Use them as in game currency. Not as a forum signature HEY LOOK AT ME AND LOOK AT THE DORITOS CRASH COURSE I PLAYED! Seems people play games less for doing something on their own and more for the compulsion of chime in the corner of the screen. 

#3 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

Yes and no, I quite like the stamp idea as they are usable but I hate the idiotic points that MS and such have.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#4 TibetanMonk

TibetanMonk

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Well, yea there are a lot of people that play for achievements only. Even going so far to buy games for easy achievements. I don't get that either. But the way I see it, they add even more replay value for games you like to play if you are a completionist like me. Yes, they are really useless besides that though.

#5 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

But you don't need achievments to be a completionist. People played The Legend of Zelda over and over again to get everything, early games were great for completionists and those didn't have achievments. I'm not totally against achievments just against useless once like you defeated this boss or reached this chapter, if they are added in they should be real achievments.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

But you don't need achievments to be a completionist. People played The Legend of Zelda over and over again to get everything, early games were great for completionists and those didn't have achievments. I'm not totally against achievments just against useless once like you defeated this boss or reached this chapter, if they are added in they should be real achievments.

Thats the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic design. The ps360 acheivement system is a layer that runs over the top of the games, so is inherently extrinsic, which is why most acheivements are inherently worthless to people who came from games with deep intrinsic design.

They are typically shallow parodies of intrinsic systems.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 MarvelofMan

MarvelofMan

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • NNID:MarvelofMan

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Personally I love just having the unlockables and collectables. I dislike Ubisofts Uplay achievement scheme, find it cringe worthy lol

#8 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

The only reason why I want them in there is to stop people from complaining.

No sig.

#9 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

Might as well have them in there for the people that want them. 

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#10 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

Stamps are kinda like achievements, besides that you can't really brag about it and it's not obvious on how you collect them all. 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#11 Teddy

Teddy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • NNID:latios
  • Fandom:
    mlp

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

depends on what they are

cant have signature cuz of internet explorer :/

#12 TibetanMonk

TibetanMonk

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

I guess it's obvious. Wii U owners don't really care about achievements. The contrast compared to the other console's crowd is kind of funny. :P

#13 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

I guess it's obvious. Wii U owners don't really care about achievements. The contrast compared to the other console's crowd is kind of funny. :P

I own a 360 and a PS3 and I really don't care about the achievements/trophies. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#14 TibetanMonk

TibetanMonk

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

I own a 360 and a PS3 and I really don't care about the achievements/trophies. 

I know it's not everyone, but a lot do.

#15 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

I wouldn't mind achievements on Nintendo's next system, but it really wouldn't bother me if they didn't have them. For some games, achievements can be a great way to extend game time by challenging yourself or doing silly stuff (Octodad and LBP are good examples). I wouldn't want achievements to just be for completing levels or doing things you'd do anyway.

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I know it's not everyone, but a lot do.

My friend as a joke as he hates them as well for the game he is making for Vita  wanted to give the player a platinum for turning the game on and you get a "There you happy now" but his partner didn't want to do that lol

#17 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Don't mind either way.

Might as well, it's a selling point even if it is shallow. I mean, Nintendo could do something that makes the other systems achievments look prehistoric.

#18 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

Achievements are meaningless and I rather not have them. But if they are there I wouldn't mind and will probably be compelled to get them just because it would still be something I hadn't finished yet for that game. I'd rather there be a way to turn them on or off. That way I won't have to bother with seeing the You Got Whatever Achievement on my screen.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#19 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Achievements are meaningless and I rather not have them. But if they are there I wouldn't mind and will probably be compelled to get them just because it would still be something I hadn't finished yet for that game. I'd rather there be a way to turn them on or off. That way I won't have to bother with seeing the You Got Whatever Achievement on my screen.

Actually, I believe both the PS3/4 have a setting to turn off the trophy notifications. Not sure about the Xbox 360/XBO.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

360 you can't turn them off but can hide them from being see by friends or public. PS3 the same way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!