Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Thursday might be a tough one for fans of the Big Mac, as the "Fight for $15" movement is set to stage a massive, nationwide protest in the pursuit of higher minimum wage and the right to form a union. In more than 150 cities throughout the United States, fast food workers employed at McDonald's, Wendy's, KFC, Domino's and the like will walk off the job in an effort to spur management into increasing their base salary to $15 an hour.

During a speech in Milwaukee on Labor Day, President Obama was quoted saying, "You know what, if I were looking for a job that lets me build some security for my family, I’d join a union. If I were busting my butt in the service industry and wanted an honest day’s pay for an honest day’s work, I’d join a union. …I’d want a union looking out for me." These words have quickly become a rallying cry for organizations like Fast Food Forward and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the two groups who are spearheading the "Fight for $15" campaign.

Buoyed by these words, and having already seen success in Seattle (where $15 an hour is on its way to becoming the city-wide standard), Fast Food Forward and the SEIU are poised to make their biggest statement to date. Using the ongoing issue of growing income inequality as a springboard, the movement claims that the only way to get everyone on an even keel is to raise the wages paid to our lowest income employees. Understandably, this goal has set some segments of society on edge.

Now, it would be foolish to side with that small contingent who claim that the minimum wage should be abolished. Those folks have stated that a federally enforced minimum wage has the negative effect of killing jobs and raising prices (which in turn acts to discourage consumers from buying stuff). Without such a weighty anchor around a corporation's neck, they would be free to pay people the amount they actually deserve, which would in turn lower prices (because companies wouldn't have as many expenses) and increase the number of available jobs. These experiments, however, are always run in the context of a perfect capitalistic society.

Guess what, folks, America isn't a perfect capitalist society (though it'd be super if we were). Corporations don't care about their employees as much they'd like their customers to believe. Corporations are in the business of making money. In spite of recent court decisions that claim companies do have religious preferences, they still don't have loyalty (just Google "corporate inversion" if you want to know what I'm talking about) and they're under no sense of obligation to make their employees' lives any better than they absolutely need to be. If left to their own devices, companies would be totally fine with moving us back to the partial fiefdoms of the Industrial Revolution.

It's due to that lack of compassion that forces the need for minimum wage in this country, and it's due to ongoing lobbying on behalf of corporations that the minimum wage is so criminally low in this country. As long as the conversation's been going on, you've no doubt seen some chart or graph (like this one from the Pew Research Center) that explains that as the cost of living has increased, the value of minimum wage has plummeted. People making the federally mandated $7.25 an hour are currently living in a more complete state of relative poverty than any generation that's come before. Most of this has to do with Congress' seeming unwillingness to consider its poorest citizens by legislating regular increases in the minimum wage.

While we're there, here's another factoid that's being bandied about: if Congress had regularly raised the minimum wage to coincide with cost of living, the federal minimum wage today would be $10.90 an hour according to raisetheminimumwage.com. That would theoretically guarantee that fast food and service employees would be making a minimum wage designed to allow them to live with moderate comfort. It wouldn't be an easy life, of course, but it would still allow a low income individual to, say, afford rent in a two-bedroom apartment (which is impossible for any fast food worker at the moment). That's not all "woe to the poor" sentiment, either, because according to the Department of Labor, "more than 600 economists, seven of them Nobel Prize winners in economics, have signed onto a letter in support of raising the minimum wage to $10.10 by 2016." In other words, tons of people who should know, are advocating for an increase in the minimum wage.

http://www.examiner....mum-wage-unions

These people are asking for too much money. No way they deserve 15 dollars to reheat frozen food.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

http://www.examiner....mum-wage-unions

These people are asking for too much money. No way they deserve 15 dollars to reheat frozen food.

You guys need a higher minimum wage. But yeah $15 is a bit much.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:04 AM

You guys need a higher minimum wage. 

Elaborate

#4 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:51 AM

I hope they know if they start making more, prices will go up, and everything will be back to the way it was before. Idiots.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#5 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

They do realize that if the employers raise the minimum wage to $15, they will need to lay off 2/5ths of the workers to offset the huge loss, right?

...Right?

Edited by Tom, 07 September 2014 - 06:53 AM.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#6 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Eating at McDonald's for all meals on Thursday

Ok so I'm in Guatemala but there is an awesome McDonald's in this town. I bet the locals are glad for the jobs so they don't have to be in the square selling chiclets and cheesy tourist items

Edited by Kokirii, 07 September 2014 - 10:19 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#7 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

The question is how the revenues are divided between wages and profit. And I would be really interested in what kind of people you think "deserve" 15 dollars and more, and why these people don't.

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

The tasks entitled in the jobs are not very hard usually but the jobs themselves as a whole is pretty tough. Many people working in retail and fast food is working 2-3 jobs to support themselves and/or a family. When I used to work retail Min wage was $5 that was 2001.  I can't say $15 is too much or enough as I been out of the game for 4 years. I would not cancel out the idea either it's needed.

It's easy for jerkwads to look down on people for working retail and fast food. A good many look down on you as peasant slave scum.

It's not just the customers but 2 kinds of people work retail and fast food. Lifers and temps. Lifers as a rule are asshats who get into management. Temps are people taking these jobs to make ends meet and hope to get out at some point. Tho some lifers work the same cashiers job to also just make ends meet.  Some temps end up with a career in it. You get some good managers of course. Just most are power crazed morons.

In fact this comic is 100% dead on

gCMHG1P.jpg

#9 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Elaborate

America needs a higher minimum wage, but $15 dollars is too high. Lol I don't really know how to elaborate beyond that point.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!