Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi all,

It's my dream to work for Nintendo. I'm currently a web developer (living in and working abroad at the moment) and I know little about Nintendo as a company besides that Nintendo of America's headquarters are in Washington. Does anyone have any advice for how I might go about getting a foot in the door besides just browsing their job postings? I'm not particularly interested in developing games but also have no idea how my current skill-set would translate or how I could begin to find out. Working on their web development team would be good enough in itself!

I am good with languages and am planning to start taking Japanese lessons from a Japanese ex-pat who lives down here in hopes that it can help, maybe even enable Japan as my next work-from-abroad location so I can get really good for applying. 

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions. 

Edited by Kokirii, 03 October 2014 - 11:21 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

Hi all,

It's my dream to work for Nintendo. I'm currently a web developer (living in and working abroad at the moment) and I know little about Nintendo as a company besides that Nintendo of America's headquarters are in Washington. Does anyone have any advice for how I might go about getting a foot in the door besides just browsing their job postings? I'm not particularly interested in developing games but also have no idea how my current skill-set would translate or how I could begin to find out. Working on their web development team would be good enough in itself!

I am good with languages and am planning to start taking Japanese lessons from a Japanese ex-pat who lives down here in hopes that it can help, maybe even enable Japan as my next work-from-abroad location so I can get really good for applying. 

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions. 

• Have a good resume/portfolio
  • Find Contacts / Communicate / Ask questions 
  • Network / Make Friends
  • Internship?
  • Keep checking job postings
  • Get lucky

Good luck. 

All of these are in US but I am sure similar positions may open up or be open in Japan at some point. 

https://nintendo.tal...000/joblist.ftl

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

With a bigger company like that, luck. 

Also, even though Nintendo needs proper Web Developers, with a bigger company like that you need to have a proper portfolio. So try making some web pages for local business's, maybe work your way up some to a regional business or branch of a business. 

Then also listen to Sorcerer about finding contacts and networking, this is especially important to help get your foot in. You may also have to start a smaller position if you can't get in, and then go to web developer, if thats possible, I don't know. Also look at the Job Requirements for Sr. Web Developer on their postings, slim it down, because you probably won't be  applying for senior, and the requirements are there for jobs to weed out the completely inexperienced, most companies are willing to fit the requirements around the person.

Also if you did get your foot in, learn about the company, helps to impress them.

Stupid Snowmads!

#4 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

You might be able to get a job on their web team... With a lot of luck and perserverance.

If you change your mind and want to do games, I would start small and try to work for a company that isn't Nintendo but makes Nintendo games.

Just my thoughts.

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

http://www.fullsail....about/our-story

Full sail University has a relationship with Nintendo.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

http://www.fullsail....about/our-story

Full sail University has a relationship with Nintendo.

That's awesome! But expect to pay a lot in tuition there.

#7 Indyrams

Indyrams

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

Kidnap Princess Peach! Mwuaha!
Such a devious plan, surely to work!
But I agree, build up your resume and make contacts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!