NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:50 AM

Ace Chemicals Infiltration (Part 1)

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#2 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

I wish this was coming to Wii U. Looks great, but it isn't worth buying an X1/PS4 over

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

I wish this was coming to Wii U. Looks great, but it isn't worth buying an X1/PS4 over

I wish. I enjoyed the games on Wii U and the gamepad use worked well.

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

Edit: Nevermind, wrong forum, hahaha omfg  :blush:

Edited by ZyroXZ2, 24 November 2014 - 05:35 PM.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

Enjoy!  :laugh:

#5 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

Saw this earlier today and it still looks awesome. This is one of my most anticipated titles of 2015, I'll be getting it for PC.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

Meh like ACU the series has become generic within itself. Just more of the same.

#7 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:38 AM

Take away the production values and you realize this game has no substance. It's all style.

Edited by Waller, 25 November 2014 - 01:39 AM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#8 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:08 AM

Meh like ACU the series has become generic within itself. Just more of the same.

Take away the production values and you realize this game has no substance. It's all style.

Have you both played the series?

I've only just finished AA and AC this year and I'm currently in the middle of AO. I've just had a great time with the series and I'm really glad they aren't focusing on the Joker again because that's been done one too many times already.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#9 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

Uh...

I can only imagine you've never played these.

Arkham asylum was a revolution. It INTRODUCED some mechanics and gameplay that stunned the industry. In fact, many new games incorporate methods from this Arkham series. And it actually works out in those games' favor.

Superhero games had always been lame. Then this comes along and is game first, superhero second... All the while fully respecting it's source material.

And it was lots of fun. High production values? Heck yes! But a good game and high production values aren't mutually exclusive. This game was fun.

Then came City. Took s different approach and was also a great and fun game with a larger scope than the original.

Now, you'd be excused if the only game you played was Origins. It wasn't developed by the same team Snd was just not quite the stellar masterpiece the first two were (though Origibs was a pretty good game on its own).

Arkham knight has got to be one of the absolute biggest, most anticipated games ever. And the introduction of the Batmobile is only going to add depth and options. The game already looks the best out of any new gane visually and it was supposed to be out this year. The fact that it was pushed back only means good things.

Personally, I cannot wait.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 25 November 2014 - 02:54 PM.

• CUD likes this

#10 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

Oh yeah such a revolution when if your crouch they can't do anything to you and such shallow button mashy combat. Like saying God of War was a revolution because it was easy. Mash one button til you get a QTE. Shallow and easy is why people like the combat and they don't get it. Plus Gow ripped off Castlevania. Easy doesn't mean good. Hard doesn't mean good. Depth and good combos. Like Bayonetta. Waller is correct. The game aims purely on style with easy shallow combat.

Lol Batman on NES is great. Good ones on SNES and Genesis. Fair amoutn of Super Hero games before these games that were good. ALso most anticipated ever?! LULZ!!! It's just another hype machine game of the week like 90% of everything else these days.

For the record I played the first 2

Edited by Ryudo, 25 November 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#11 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

Uh...

I can only imagine you've never played these.

Arkham asylum was a revolution. It INTRODUCED some mechanics and gameplay that stunned the industry. In fact, many new games incorporate methods from this Arkham series. And it actually works out in those games' favor.

Superhero games had always been lame. Then this comes along and is game first, superhero second... All the while fully respecting it's source material.

And it was lots of fun. High production values? Heck yes! But a good game and high production values aren't mutually exclusive. This game was fun.

Then came City. Took s different approach and was also a great and fun game with a larger scope than the original.

Now, you'd be excused if the only game you played was Origins. It wasn't developed by the same team Snd was just not quite the stellar masterpiece the first two were (though Origibs was a pretty good game on its own).

Arkham knight has got to be one of the absolute biggest, most anticipated games ever. And the introduction of the Batmobile is only going to add depth and options. The game already looks the best out of any new gane visually and it was supposed to be out this year. The fact that it was pushed back only means good things.

Personally, I cannot wait.

I really don't have the time for this right now, so I'll just link to this video:

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#12 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

I really don't have the time for this right now, so I'll just link to this video:

Big dunkey fan but I don't really think he was even serious with this. The part about the combat is stupid because I don't even think you can beat enemies by constantly countering without actually attacking and even if you can beat them that way it will take a whole lot longer and isn't any fun. The point of combat is the combos. If you've played the game you would know that it's more than just countering but connecting combos together with counters and using gadgets for more points. Combos are where a lot of the points to upgrade your abilities come from so not only will it be boring to play if you choose to only counter attacks and not attack but it will just extend the game because it will take longer to upgrade since you're not even playing it properly.

I had played Arkham City when I saw dunkey's video and I really just think it's his kind of humour of exaggerating things to make a joke. Funny video but not an accurate representation of the game.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#13 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:42 AM

Big dunkey fan but I don't really think he was even serious with this. The part about the combat is stupid because I don't even think you can beat enemies by constantly countering without actually attacking and even if you can beat them that way it will take a whole lot longer and isn't any fun. The point of combat is the combos. If you've played the game you would know that it's more than just countering but connecting combos together with counters and using gadgets for more points. Combos are where a lot of the points to upgrade your abilities come from so not only will it be boring to play if you choose to only counter attacks and not attack but it will just extend the game because it will take longer to upgrade since you're not even playing it properly.

I had played Arkham City when I saw dunkey's video and I really just think it's his kind of humour of exaggerating things to make a joke. Funny video but not an accurate representation of the game.

Yeah if that video was serious then he is just being a blind hater. 

These games are fun and have interesting storylines. What more do you want from a game?

#14 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

I think the batmobile segment looks pretty rad. Just my wheat penny input.

#15 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

Batman's combat is very much like a gigantic QTE: Mash the punch button until the game tells you (yeah, the game tells you when to counter. It doesn't even trust you to be capable of doing that yourself) to counter. It's almost like playing a turn-based RPG, you just press a button and Batman does everything for you. How can you play that and think "this is engaging me"? Because you're appreciating the aesthetic design of the game, even if from a mechanical perspective it's far too simple to be interesting.

That's why I'm saying the game is all style and no substance.

Yeah if that video was serious then he is just being a blind hater. 

These games are fun and have interesting storylines. What more do you want from a game?

How is he a blind hater? He presented his opinion then he proceeded to explain how he came to develop that opinion basing himself on objective facts about the design of the game.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#16 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

Batman's combat is very much like a gigantic QTE: Mash the punch button until the game tells you (yeah, the game tells you when to counter. It doesn't even trust you to be capable of doing that yourself) to counter. It's almost like playing a turn-based RPG, you just press a button and Batman does everything for you. How can you play that and think "this is engaging me"? Because you're appreciating the aesthetic design of the game, even if from a mechanical perspective it's far too simple to be interesting.

How is he a blind hater? He presented his opinion then he proceeded to explain how he came to develop that opinion basing himself on objective facts about the design of the game.

He does things deliberately to make the game look bad e.g. pressing one button during combat when no one actually plays the game like that

#17 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

Batman's combat is very much like a gigantic QTE: Mash the punch button until the game tells you (yeah, the game tells you when to counter. It doesn't even trust you to be capable of doing that yourself) to counter. It's almost like playing a turn-based RPG, you just press a button and Batman does everything for you.

I'm still not sure if you've played any of the games in the series. You can stop the game from showing you when to counter in the options and that's what I have done in my current playthrough of Arkham Origins, I didn't bother in the previous games because it can get hard enough when you're fighting a lot of enemies and have to fit counters into the mix but I'm used to being able to counter without seeing the icon above their head now.

"Just press a button and Batman does everything for you."

Can't the same be said for any game? 'Press a button and Mario jumps for you'. It's the same thing, Batman doesn't just defeat a bunch of enemies by mashing the attack button and you would know that if you had played the games. To prevent that there's enemies with shields, armour and other weapons that need to be taken down in different ways as well as the incentive of obtaining more points to upgrade your abilities from trying to get bigger combos. In dunkey's video he counters and by constantly mashing the counter button he loses his combo and the enemies lay stunned on the floor but because he's not actually attacking or finishing them off they'll just get back up again so it's pointless playing like that.

How can you play that and think "this is engaging me"? Because you're appreciating the aesthetic design of the game, even if from a mechanical perspective it's far too simple to be interesting.

We've only just talking about the combat when stealth and solving some puzzles are important aspects of the game too. This is more than just liking the look of the game, but you're right about it looking good it's just that is far from the only good thing about the series.

I'm just not sure how anyone that has actually played the series would say these things unless they were refusing to play it properly.

I wouldn't say 'blind hater' but he was just making a joke like he always does. It wasn't a serious review so saying his video was based on 'objective facts' is a bit far fetched. While most of it was just exaggerated for the sake of humour I have to agree regarding the stealth part because I find myself not using all the gadgets although me not properly using the gadgets just makes things harder for myself in the end because I end up having to attempt some stealth sections multiple times. Overall it's just classic dunkey humour and not a valid review.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#18 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

I'm still not sure if you've played any of the games in the series. You can stop the game from showing you when to counter in the options and that's what I have done in my current playthrough of Arkham Origins, I didn't bother in the previous games because it can get hard enough when you're fighting a lot of enemies and have to fit counters into the mix but I'm used to being able to counter without seeing the icon above their head now.

Didn't know that, thanks for the clarification. I played Asylum and the demo of City (because, despite talking so bad of it, I think it has the potential to be a really good game if they expanded on some of the concepts in the game, and I was curious to see if they did. Sadly they only expanded in scope), so I'm mostly basing myself on my experience with Asylum.

Can't the same be said for any game? 'Press a button and Mario jumps for you'. It's the same thing, Batman doesn't just defeat a bunch of enemies by mashing the attack button and you would know that if you had played the games. To prevent that there's enemies with shields, armour and other weapons that need to be taken down in different ways as well as the incentive of obtaining more points to upgrade your abilities from trying to get bigger combos. In dunkey's video he counters and by constantly mashing the counter button he loses his combo and the enemies lay stunned on the floor but because he's not actually attacking or finishing them off they'll just get back up again so it's pointless playing like that.

The thing with Mario is that he only performs a simple action that you have to manipulate skillfully in order to win the game. The character is only a conduit for the player to showcase his own capacity.

With Batman, on the other hand, you press the button and Batman automatically targets an enemy based on the general direction you're pointing at, automatically travels the distance needed for the hit to connect, and automatically picks the attack most suitable (from an aesthetics POV, since all of his attacks are functionally the same) for the situation. The only room you have to fail is when Batman picks the wrong target (shielded enemies and such), and even then, there's no punishment for that because of how limited enemies are in terms of how much of a threat they can pose to the player.

Either way, even though I did a terrible job of conveying that in my previous post (sorry...), my criticism of the combat is its lack of depth, so there being enemies that invalidate button mashing (by requiring you to press another button before button mashing) doesn't invalidate the criticism at all.

We've only just talking about the combat when stealth and solving some puzzles are important aspects of the game too. This is more than just liking the look of the game, but you're right about it looking good it's just that is far from the only good thing about the series.

Ah, the thing is that all the other aspects of what make Batman are explored in largely superficial manners. You get some power-up and you use it to access something in the typical lock-and-key environment interaction. The reason I'm focusing so much on the combat is because there's not really any satisfying adventure elements in the game to talk about, and while the environments are pretty to look at, they need to have more interaction besides lock-and-key barriers and forgettable puzzles.

As for stealth, well, I think that was the strongest aspect of the game, but there just simply weren't enough stealth segments to make up for going through all the other not-so-good stuff. :/

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

I have to say turnbased RPG's isn't just pressing a button to play. It's usually strategy with the diverse party of characters and various enemy types. It's also a lot of micro managing. Why they are so time intensive. Esp the ones that are grind heavy. Some hate it some love it. I love it. Also there is a payoff. mashing buttons in Batman there is no payoff. It just ends at some point until the next one. An RPG has a long term goal. There is none with battle in Batman. It's a time buffer.

#20 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Didn't know that, thanks for the clarification. I played Asylum and the demo of City (because, despite talking so bad of it, I think it has the potential to be a really good game if they expanded on some of the concepts in the game, and I was curious to see if they did. Sadly they only expanded in scope), so I'm mostly basing myself on my experience with Asylum.

The thing with Mario is that he only performs a simple action that you have to manipulate skillfully in order to win the game. The character is only a conduit for the player to showcase his own capacity.

With Batman, on the other hand, you press the button and Batman automatically targets an enemy based on the general direction you're pointing at, automatically travels the distance needed for the hit to connect, and automatically picks the attack most suitable (from an aesthetics POV, since all of his attacks are functionally the same) for the situation. The only room you have to fail is when Batman picks the wrong target (shielded enemies and such), and even then, there's no punishment for that because of how limited enemies are in terms of how much of a threat they can pose to the player.

Either way, even though I did a terrible job of conveying that in my previous post (sorry...), my criticism of the combat is its lack of depth, so there being enemies that invalidate button mashing (by requiring you to press another button before button mashing) doesn't invalidate the criticism at all.

Ah, the thing is that all the other aspects of what make Batman are explored in largely superficial manners. You get some power-up and you use it to access something in the typical lock-and-key environment interaction. The reason I'm focusing so much on the combat is because there's not really any satisfying adventure elements in the game to talk about, and while the environments are pretty to look at, they need to have more interaction besides lock-and-key barriers and forgettable puzzles.

As for stealth, well, I think that was the strongest aspect of the game, but there just simply weren't enough stealth segments to make up for going through all the other not-so-good stuff. :/

Did you finish Arkham Asylum? I found it to be a great game overall. I suppose combat didn't change much in Arkham City but I never really had an issue with the combat.

That's true, there is less control of Batman than that of Mario but that in itself isn't a bad thing. There not being a manual lock-on system doesn't make it feel like I'm not in control, if anything it helps make combat flow much better. It can be very punishing when I mess up a combo by hitting a shielded or armoured enemy or don't counter a knife wielding enemy and also those big Bane-like enemies too, if you mess up the combos you can die in a fight quite easily. I've always found the combat smooth, challenging and enjoyable.

Eh, I guess there's not a heck of a lot of depth but I can't think of another game like the Arkham series which does better. For what depth is there I find it enjoyable and challenging.

I agree that some of the gadgets and abilities could have been used better than they were but I can't say I'm really disappointed with what we got. The stealth and combat are enjoyable to me and just simply gliding around the city feels satisfying.  

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!