• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#21 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

Can someone answer this for me. Wii U uses custom discs as they always have but it has the same capacity of blu ray at 25GB per layer. It's disc drive is a 5x cav 22MB per second. PS4 uses Blu Ray 6X cav 28 MB per second. PS3 was 2X. Can Wii U not do dual layer for some reason? Why the second disc?

My guess would be the seamless world.

The extra layer would increase the rom size capacity of the disc, but with that extra 25GB of data on that disc, well, now you have an extra 25GB of data adresses to search through when looking for, say, that texture the game wants to stream in, thats not currently in ram.... With the same search/read speed you had back with half the data to search through.

When you are watching a movie and everything is sequential, it doesnt really matter, when you are playing a game that stops to load the next area, it also does'nt really matter. When you are playing a 400 km squared seamless open world game, and you are doing tons of random access calls to your disc I bet having to deal with an extra 25GB adds up pretty fast.

Texture this game is FULL of a crazy variety of textures.

One of the first thinks I noticed. That's a TON of paint.

Even Destiny reuses a lot of textures and in Some areas takes the color palette really low.

But it till uses a ton of textures.

X however seems like and endless deluge of very large and variable graphics assets.

One of the more impressive things is looking down at the map from a high distance and not being able to notice texture tiles. That's huge. Try that with Skyrim and the like. Big difference.
Taking massive textures like that, the geometry, ai, scripting, collision detection,blighting, audio, etc... And fitting into aRam a with no loading... Whoa. That's dome serious load and memory management going on.

These guys deserve big sales just for being geniuses. Not to mention what's dhaping up to be a stellar game.

Oh, you mean like this?

360_013.bmp.jpg

I still can not believe how many people still swear up and down XcX is 'just on par with 360 open world games, its not doing anything ps360 hasnt done better in games like skyrim'

Its like they literally can not see the texture repeating every damn foot.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#22 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Ugh every ES past ESII is awful. In fact only Daggerfall was worth a damn. Horrendous awkward combat. unforgiveable amount of glitches and bugs. Ugly brown textures and aesthetcs as inspired as a pig vomit covered turd.

Edited by Ryudo, 29 January 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#23 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Ugh every ES past ESII is awful. In fact only Daggerfall was worth a damn. Horrendous awkward combat. unforgiveable amount of glitches and bugs. Ugly brown textures and aesthetcs as inspired as a pig vomit covered turd.

They were all exactly the same as daggerfall in that regaurd. The only thing that changed was they got smaller and smaller as the graphics improved. The combat remained exactly the same as the 90's sprite based game. It was acceptable... you know, back in the 90's.....

Skyrim tried to buck this with its gimmicky magic and shout system improvements, but all they did was staple a gimmick to the 90's elderscrolls horribad combat.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#24 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

My guess would be the seamless world.

The extra layer would increase the rom size capacity of the disc, but with that extra 25GB of data on that disc, well, now you have an extra 25GB of data adresses to search through when looking for, say, that texture the game wants to stream in, thats not currently in ram.... With the same search/read speed you had back with half the data to search through.

When you are watching a movie and everything is sequential, it doesnt really matter, when you are playing a game that stops to load the next area, it also does'nt really matter. When you are playing a 400 km squared seamless open world game, and you are doing tons of random access calls to your disc I bet having to deal with an extra 25GB adds up pretty fast.

Oh, you mean like this?

360_013.bmp.jpg

I still can not believe how many people still swear up and down XcX is 'just on par with 360 open world games, its not doing anything ps360 hasnt done better in games like skyrim'

Its like they literally can not see the texture repeating every damn foot.

Lol. Exactly.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
This game just keeps looking more and more like pure psychotic awesomeness.

I may actually be anticipating this more than Zelda.

http://images.ninten...59089/large.jpg

http://images.ninten...59082/large.jpg

http://www.siliconer...cr_03_thumb.jpg

http://images.ninten...59088/large.jpg

http://images.ninten...59090/large.jpg

http://images.ninten...59085/large.jpg

http://www.capsuleco...x-5-600x337.jpg

https://sickr.files....les_x_world.jpg

And... A pretty dang cool 1080p wallpaper.

http://ihdwallpapers...e-1920x1080.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Socalmuscle, 29 January 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#25 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

I hope this game does well, I seriously do.

If it doesn't then 

tumblr_m1ijbkzmUa1qa41seo1_500.gif

I'm moving to Mira.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#26 Miseryguts

Miseryguts

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:00 AM

http://www.kotaku.co...utterly-massive

300+ hrs of gameplay & a fully seamless field! whoa.. that's some serious programming voodoo going on.

Edited by Miseryguts, 30 January 2015 - 03:53 AM.

#27 Chronos21

Chronos21

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:04 AM

And i have to add that Skyrim seems to had a much bigger budget than X! Imagine if Nintendo would give to Monolith say 100 millions to create this thing :o

#28 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

And i have to add that Skyrim seems to had a much bigger budget than X! Imagine if Nintendo would give to Monolith say 100 millions to create this thing :o

dFaP7LF.jpg

Yeah nothing tops this beauty of polished excrement. Give Monolith 100 million pesos to make XCX be a total crapheap! WAHOO!

#29 Chronos21

Chronos21

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

Lol xD Sometimes i would like to know, where some publishers throw the money out..

#30 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

Lol xD Sometimes i would like to know, where some publishers throw the money out..

I was thinking that too. I'm sure a lot of money is railroaded from production/development and bumped into marketing.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#31 Chronos21

Chronos21

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

Yes, i think you 're right, allthough i think to much money goes to things that nobody needs in games, like hollywood storywriters, artists and more of that :/

#32 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

I was thinking that too. I'm sure a lot of money is railroaded from production/development and bumped into marketing.

Marketing for AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA games now often cost several times the development of the games. The A denominator, after all, has always been a bracket designator for how big of an advertising budget a game was going to get. I am sure marketing departments the world over are laughing their arses off at the fact they've managed to hoodwink an entire generation into thinking it has to do with a games quality as if it were a meat ranking in the window of a restauraunt.

An entire generation so brainwashed, they will consistantly and parrot over and over again, instantly, without any thought, how much better graphically this looks:

Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Screenshots-3.jpg

than this:

150128xenobladex.jpg

(Why is it so hard to find a picture of Xenoblades latest build thats above like a 640 res?)

And then when confronted with the irrefutable truth like good quality pictures, do they stop to think that maybe the narrative they were fed could be wrong? the BS starts coming out of their backsides to twist what they see in impossible ways to fit the narrative.

It doesnt REALLY look better,

its not REALLY doing what ps3360 could do

Its just Nintendos ART STYLE, its really not doing what skyrim does

It wont REALLY be open world, the wii u is too weak to do open world games like skyrim!

There wont be any wildlife!

Its just a pretty skybox, you cant actually GO there!!!

The wii u's ram bandwidth is too LOW to do what skyrim does!!

But look at this crappy port!!! Thats what wii u is REALLY capable of! This is just 'tricks'

And now that we find out Xenoblade is 400 square kilometers to Skyrims 16? Nothing. They simply move on to the next narrative. Nothing, will EVER stop to make them think, gee, maybe this Nintendo non AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA studio DID make something bigger, and more graphically impressive than AAAAAAAAA western devs did on last gen consoles. No, I am pretty sure that would kill them.

Yes, i think you 're right, allthough i think to much money goes to things that nobody needs in games, like hollywood storywriters, artists and more of that :/

Yes, that is a HUGE waste of money that could be spent making a better game.

To add on just how different Monolith studios with Nintendo is than AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Western studios

http://www.siliconer...-place-to-work/

Work starts at 9 AM and Ends at 6. THATS IT.

There IS NO CRUNCH TIME at Monolith soft studios

“One of the big opportunities that put the appointed weekly hours into action came from the 2006 occupational safety and  health act revision, which demanded a more thorough employee time management,” says director Yasuyuki Honne. He further shares his beliefs that development styles which anticipate overtime work have already reached their limit. With that in mind, Monolift Soft’s company motto, “Zero overtime and creative work allowed” is what they now go by.

“Playing and having fun is the most important part. It’s the key to bringing out the fun in graphics,” says Genbe, as he explains that those are the deep feelings they share at Nintendo, which he has learned since joining. According to the designer, he has also learned to put his time to better use, thanks to the results of the appointed weekly hours.

“When the work starts to overflow, the leader immediately reviews the schedule accordingly. I spend my weekends on hobbies and polishing my skills using ZBrush at home,” Genbe explains, addressing how the lenient schedule has been a great benefit, by providing him with free time to relax and brush up on his abilities as a designer.

“Not only have my skills grown as an artist, but I feel as if I’ve matured more as a person, as well. The appointed weekly hours allow me to work with a mental sense of stability,”

COmpare that too the current cancerous state of the Western AAAAAAAAAA game cycle:

http://www.gamasutra...e_vicious_cycle

viciousdevcycle.jpg

"This is an age-old software development issue: reasonable scope on a reasonable schedule," says Keith Fuller, an experienced developer and production consultant who spent over a decade working on Activision projects like Jedi AcademyQuake 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops before going independent. "Our ongoing inability to properly address it is rooted in leadership issues."

"Developers rarely get to tell Marketing 'We can ship it now, we fixed all the bugs,'" notes Fuller. "Rather, the marketing department will tell you when you're launching regardless of fixing bugs. If you want that arrangement to change, figure out how to sell millions of units without telling anyone your game exists."

"The last game I worked on as a studio dev was Call of Duty: Black Ops, and Activision's legal team would go into cardiac arrest if I shared with you how few months before launch that game was almost entirely unplayable," says Fuller. "That's due to the pressure of annual franchise installments and the competitive landscape."

"Addressing this cycle is beyond the realm of development and it's sad that we think this is a development issue," says Keith. "Developers get the short end of both sticks: death marches and the blame for low quality. The solution is to address this culture."

Maybe its not Nintendo and Monolith soft who are backwards.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#33 Chronos21

Chronos21

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

It doesnt REALLY look better,
its not REALLY doing what ps3360 could do
Its just Nintendos ART STYLE, its really not doing what skyrim does
[/background][/size][/font][/color]

OMG everytime i visit a neogaf thread about the beauty of MK8 or Smash Bros ability to run in 1080p/60 with 8 players on screen, or other examples how good WiiU games can look, its the same conclusion from almost every user: Its because of the Nintendo art style.... Yeah sure!

#34 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

Found a direct translation of the article, Most of it was mentioned in overviews but still has plenty of info most of the overviews skipped, such as life points.  The article setup is crude though, you have been warned.

//docs.google.com/document/d/1WDBYfaVE4R1r5D0YSUKCyx3StF1PQy-b2tqv7gfBYyA/pub

Edited by tboss, 30 January 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#35 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Holy crap. Working at Monolith Soft sounds awesome. -adds to list of dream jobs-

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#36 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

Gosh. I know he doesn't want the online elements to be too invasive, but I think the ONLY way I will have the motivation to spend 300 hours on this game is if I can co-op with my friends. 

#37 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

Gosh. I know he doesn't want the online elements to be too invasive, but I think the ONLY way I will have the motivation to spend 300 hours on this game is if I can co-op with my friends. 

That was a play test. Play tests are where you go through the game, making sure every single sequence and scripted thing in the game works the way its supposed too,

so unless you spend your time in the game riding up and down elevators, then riding up and down elevators while jumping, then trying to jump off the elevator, then ride the elevator while equipping and unequipping items.....

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#38 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

xenoblade-chronicles-x-blue-shadow.jpgWhen I was a kid, I used to purposely stop playing games just as I reached a new town or area. That night, I’d lie awake in bed, my thoughts consumed by the adventures that awaited me. I imagined getting lost in a strange and mysterious forest, or spending hours exploring a dusty castle basement. Eventually, I’d succumb to sleep, dreaming of the games I’d play the next day.

Reality never lived up to my over-detailed fantasies, but that didn’t really bother me. Deep down, I understood that the things I daydreamed about weren’t actually possible. I could accept the limitations of gaming; I just wanted to pretend they didn’t exist for one night.

Over the years, those limitations have started to fade away. The 16-bit landscapes I grew up exploring have turned into impressive 3D worlds. Characters have actual faces and bear some resemblance to living, breathing people. Sometimes, I watch trailer for a new game and feel like I’ve fallen into the uncanny valley.

But when I watch the new Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer, I feel like I’m curled up in my old childhood bed, daydreaming myself to sleep.

I’d like to say that the game replicates my childhood reveries, but my imagination was never this good. This blows my old fantasies out of the water, replacing them with wonders you could never find on earth. The environments are gorgeous, the monsters are marvelous, and the lovely little details make my jaw drop.

I know I shouldn’t be all that surprised by the beauty of Xenoblade Chronicles X. I’ve played Xenoblade Chronicles, and that was full of amazing environments. But even when I take that into consideration, I can’t believe that this is a world I’m going to explore. I still feel like I’m going to wake up, turn on my console, and discover it was all just a wonderful dream.

xenoblade-chronicles-x-running.jpgBut Xenoblade Chronicles X is completely and utterly real. I’ve played this trailer several times, pinching myself the whole way through, and I haven’t woken up once. I’m going to get the chance to run through those dandelions, to jump off those massive cliffs. Unless the world suddenly ends or Nintendo gets eaten by a dinosaur, this is a game I will hold in my ends.

The last Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer was a little underwhelming, but I’ve been blown away all over again. This is the kind of game my dreams would dream about. Someday — hopefully soon — I’m going to be able to immerse myself in this magical, mech-filled world.

And I still can’t really believe that.

http://geekparty.com...esnt-feel-real/

#39 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Found pre-order cards at target.

I'm mobile so sorry about photo orientation.

20150131_104102.jpg
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#40 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

xenoblade-chronicles-x1-656x401.jpg

Famitsu has a major feature on Xenoblade Chronicles X in this week’s issue. In addition to a new preview, the magazine shared an interview with director Tetsuya Takahashi.

One of the things Famitsu brings up is how Takahashi called the original Xenoblade “an orthodox RPG”, even though the field was huge and there were a number of different challenges. Takahashi says in response that the story of the original Xenoblade Chronicles “was one big thread so I think it was a linear game.” But in Xenoblade Chronicles X, “the story progresses in various directions as you finish quests which you get from different places.”

Famitsu next brings up the topic of loading. Takahashi confirms that players will be able to cross the huge world from one end to another without having to load data… for the most part anyway.

He said:

Moving on the field is completely seamless. However, loading occurs in cases like event scenarios. I recommend playing the downloadable version so you don’t have to worry about loading from the disk. Of course, the disk version is also tuned as much as possible to reduce the loading time. We are consulting Nintendo as to whether or not the main data can be read from the console.

Another topic discussed in Famitsu’s interview is the size of the game’s party, which is four. Takahashi explains why this number was chosen:

Considering combinations of classes and builds, the party of four was well balanced. In battle, you control one character from those four and the other three are left for AI. Similar to the previous game, you can also select which character to control. In a pinch, AI characters also shout encouragements according to their personality. Voice actors were asked to record unreasonably many lines, so the battles turned out to be lively like in the previous game.

Something Xenoblade fans have been interested in is the prospect of online functionality. However, Takahashi is quick to point out that Xenoblade Chronicles X “isn’t an online game where you are firmly connected to other players.” Monolith Soft took the concept of a “loosely connected online game”. Takahashi says: “After all, the game brings out collectively without players noticing other people, so the playstyle of an online RPG wasn’t used as a base.”

Finally, let’s talk a bit about Xenoblade Chronicles X’s music. Famitsu points out that Hiroyuki Sawano hasn’t worked much on game music, to which Takahashi states:

That’s right. He has strong image from working on anime titles like Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Guilty Crown, and Attack on Titan, but for me he is a drama person. He is responsible for the music of Team Medical Dragon and such. I thought that drama-like music would surely shine in this game so I asked him as I had nothing to lose.

When Famitsu asks about how Sawano is flexible with his work, Takahashi replies:

Usually people who haven’t written game music react like “Why so many compositions for a game (RPG)?”, but Mr. Sawano was the opposite: “Understood. Please let me do them all.” (laughs) This time there are 90 compositions and I thought he could write only a part of them, so I’m really happy.

Xenoblade Chronicles X launches in Japan on April 29. The RPG is on track for later this year in North America and Europe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!