Photo

Playtonic working on Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor (mentions Wii U)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:45 AM

Can't believe nobody has posted this yet so here goes.

Playtonic is an new team entirely comprised from those formerly at Rare. Working on code name "project Ukelele"

Interesting quote from the team in an interview with Edge magazine.

“There’s a history of working with Nintendo so we’d naturally love to see our game on a Nintendo platform. If people tell us to make Wii U our target console platform then we’ve got the flexibility to do that.”

http://nintendoevery...ested-in-wii-u/

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

#3 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

I hope it works out and that Seavor and Kirkhope join the party. As a Dutch forummer said, if Nintendo would step in and provide them the dog-and-duck-duo, it could work out just as Banjo and Kazooie. Looking at the art it seems that one animal is very close to the one in the back....could it be a backpack?

I hope it does better than Tengami, Fusion Genisis and Parashoot Stan.

Edited by Lupaie, 11 February 2015 - 09:58 AM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#4 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:23 AM

I feel like Ryundo's just turned into a Bot which posts Gamexplain videos of the topic in a reply.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#5 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

I feel like Ryundo's just turned into a Bot which posts Gamexplain videos of the topic in a reply.

You have me confused with Sorce as he usually posts them. I rarely do. I only posted maybe 2 of them.

#6 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

Yep, don't confuse us. I post a lot of their videos. They always have great discussion and worth a listen. I am their bot.. get paid under the table.

I think it would be great to see the successor grace the Wii U console. The term "flexibility" is nice positive tone to hear.

I'm willing to bet he knows something... http://thewiiu.com/u...-banjokazooie/  :P

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#7 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

Bull and he knows it. It wont be on Wii U stop getting people hopes up

Edited by GAMER1984, 14 February 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#8 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

This does come as music to my ears, however I have to control myself, because more often than not these spiritual indie games burn out quickly, or in the rare cases (see what I did there) that they are finished, they often get panned.  I have been following this project however for a little over a year, I think the group's  twitter was originally MingyJongo, managed by the environment director, Steven Hurst, who I had the pleasure of exchanging tweets with shortly before the account went dead.  After the account died, with over 20,000 followers, I assumed the game they were planning died as well.  If this is indeed the same group of people who are making this game, then I do have some faith it will be done, and considering Grant Kirkhope was originally supporting the Mingy Jongo revival project, I have hope that he will compose music for this game as well.  As for the characters, I think the top one is some sort of tropical bird, and the bottom one is either a bipedal Alligator, or a dinosaur of some sort.  I will definitely have to follow this project closely to see whether it lives up to its hype, and if the developers are serious about taking fan consideration, than I may fire them a few emails.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

project-u-art-656x542.jpg

Project Ukulele – the Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor from Playtonic – is featured in this month’s EDGE. The magazine shares concept art, which you can find above.

In the magazine, Playtonic lead and Gavin Price said: “There’s been so much pent-up passion for doing something like this, because we’ve all been sat on a lot of these ideas since Banjo-Tooie came out.”

The next step for Playtonic is to make a proof-of-concept. The company will then upscale to an “N64-size” team of between 10 to 15 staff, and several former Rare employees are in waiting on these positions.

#10 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

I hope it's not Wii U exclusive. Personally I want a PC release.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#11 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:00 PM

I hope it's not Wii U exclusive. Personally I want a PC release.

So far it's PC only. They just want to also make it for Wii U if they are allowed.

#12 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

The concept art does look intriguing.. I really hope Nintendo catches wind of this and helps publish, because then all my silly dreams of Rare coming back to Nintendo with the original staff would finally be sorta true!!

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#13 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

So far it's PC only. They just want to also make it for Wii U if they are allowed.

not getting my hopes up for a Wii U release at all.

#14 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

Wii U has actually quite a bit of indie games, so it would not be surprising to see this on it eventually

#15 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Wii U is one of the most indie friendly platforms there is.

#16 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

Oh, excellent!

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#17 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

Wii U is one of the most indie friendly platforms there is.

I am aware of that which makes it more sad. we will see.

#18 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:29 PM

Former Rare developers are creating a spiritual successor to "those fondly remembered platforming adventures we built in the past," and they've brought on Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, and Steve Burke to contribute music to the project.

The soundtracks to Donkey Kong Country (Wise) and Banjo-Kazooie (Kirkhope) rank among my favorites in all of gaming. Magical. And while I have painful memories of my launch-day Xbox 360 struggling to run Kameo: Elements of Power without red-ringing, Burke's score was pleasant.

I'm trying not to expect too much from Project Ukulele, but that's not going so well.

They are the music men [Playtonic Games]

http://www.destructo...le-287747.phtml

#19 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Damn it now I have to go change my pants.  This just added itself to my list of most hyped about games for the next few years.  I reallllllyyyyyyyy hope this group can stick together through the production of this and release it with Ninty's aid, then Playtonic will be the new Rare. I've always hated the "Retro is the new Rare" garbage anyways.

#20 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

If you’ve been following the news lately, you know that PlayTonic Games is a studio made up of former Rare developers that worked on some of the biggest franchises in the game industry, including Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie. For a few weeks now the team has been teasing the rebirth of the 3D platformer and a successor to the Banjo-Kazooie franchise. Now the team will finally unveil what they’ve been working on at EGX Rezzed on March 12.

Creative director Gavin Prince had this to say about the upcoming reveal:

“It was the fans of our past work who inspired the creation of Playtonic, so we’re delighted to be able to showcase our vision to them in person at EGX Rezzed – as well as a few cheeky details of our game!”

http://wiiudaily.com...ew-game-at-egx/

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!