GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:45 AM

check it out from IGN. also question is wii remote supported in this game?

LINK: http://www.ign.com/a...ers-in-splatoon

#2 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

Hard to imagine how it would be. You surely need twin sticks for a shooter. Ok you don't NEED twin sticks but it's definitely the optimum method.

#3 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:18 AM

I'm terrible at shooters but still pretty excited to see one saturated with Nintendo charm. :) Also sooooo excited for the single player. When was Nintendo's last 3d platformer with a new IP?? 

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#4 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

Well they tend to just stick their new ideas into existing IPs, so it's not that meaningful a question.

Mario Galaxy could've easily been done with a new IP and the main mario series could've remained more 'Cartesian', if you will. It had hardly anything to do with Mario after all.

Edited by MarcusT, 08 March 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

Damn that 1st video from PaxEast was shot off tv and has horrible color balance. Either way, the things we've been seeing of the game regarding gameplay look good. I think this was still the e3 build, so you can be the final build of the game is going to look even better.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Hard to imagine how it would be. You surely need twin sticks for a shooter. Ok you don't NEED twin sticks but it's definitely the optimum method.

??? Wiimote IR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dual analog for shooters. Dual analog is garbage for shooters, its slow, imprecise, and clumsy, which is why console shooters have such awful overbearing auto aim. Wiimote and nunchunk and kbm is far superior to DA.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

I know this title was not meant to be by Nintendo standard of spending a AAA title. But what are your thoughts on the graphics? The ink physics look really good to me. Overall its ok just so damn colorful.

#8 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

only thing duel analog (twin sticks) offers to shooters is comfort/ease of use.  It is inferior to wiimote and mouse/keyboard in accuracy and precision, to make up for this they add enough aim-assist that the game literately aims for you at times. 

wiimote offers near identical precision to PC, but suffers from less options for button layout, and a much harder to use/learn aiming settings, though its worth it once you adjust to it. 

PC works for button mapping and easiest to get the precision out of with the least effort, and you don't have the ease of use problems like hand stability and sensitivity settings. Its also less immersive and lacks good movement options in comparision. 

#9 Chronos21

Chronos21

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

We will see how Twinstick+Gyro aiming turns out in Splatoon. I hope its good and customysable. I'm a big supporter of Wiimote aiming though, so i hope its an option too^^

#10 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

We will see how Twinstick+Gyro aiming turns out in Splatoon. I hope its good and customysable. I'm a big supporter of Wiimote aiming though, so i hope its an option too^^

it separates vertical and horizontal aiming onto 2 separate axis's, which should be an improvement, but i doubt it will reach ir or kbm quality.

#11 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

only thing duel analog (twin sticks) offers to shooters is comfort/ease of use.  It is inferior to wiimote and mouse/keyboard in accuracy and precision, to make up for this they add enough aim-assist that the game literately aims for you at times. 

wiimote offers near identical precision to PC, but suffers from less options for button layout, and a much harder to use/learn aiming settings, though its worth it once you adjust to it. 

Ok well I agree on PC. I haven't played a game that does shooting with the wiimote very well in a situation where you have to run and gun. I thought the wiimote was excellent in RE4 but that was largely because you stop when you shoot. What games have done it well for running and gunning? And how did they deal with problem of turning the screen to aim? Cos that's the part where the wiimote seems inherently inferior to a control stick or mouse.

Edited by MarcusT, 09 March 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#12 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

Ok well I agree on PC. I haven't played a game that does shooting with the wiimote very well in a situation where you have to run and gun. I thought the wiimote was excellent in RE4 but that was largely because you stop when you shoot. What games have done it well for running and gunning? And how did they deal with problem of turning the screen to aim?

the screen turns in the direction you aim, which is perfectly viable, and often times preferable to run'n'gun play styles simply because it lets you aim, and react much quicker than the other 2 control scheme, but sacrifices ease of use, as the player needs to track their courser in relation to the player and the camera. 

The screen turning from your aim does make the wii-mote as a whole harder to use effectively, and one of the reason's the sensitivity options are much more complex then a bar, with dead-zones, turn speed, acceleration based-on distance from the dead-zone/box/center of the screen, ect.  It does make the control scheme a little harder to use competently, but it doesn't sacrifice from the precision or effectiveness of the controller as a whole. 

other note, the lack of the camera responding to where i was aiming on the scheme through me off and it made it a little harder to respond to things like getting flanked, though it does make the control scheme easier to use for people new to wiimote aiming, i would have added the option for more traditional ir aiming where it controls the camera, and had floating scope for the snipers, as having them fixed on screen made snipers only useful as pre-magnum magnums. 

Here is a example, this is of COD and there is much room for improvement to the IR in this game, but it is a example, atleast until (if one is even made) there is a well made shooter with IR controls on wiiU.  This player can also benefit by resting his arm/wrist on something to help stabilize his aim. People who are used to the control scheme also tend to crank the sensitivity.  If turning with the mote throws you off, just make big dead-zones so you rarely do it while you are aiming.

Also some PC games control the same way simply because fixing the pc in the center doesn't always work for the game.

This is of star citizen which uses the same kind of controls, though its a bit harder in this game because it uses actual physics, and thus the ship/camera can't respond perfectly to the motion and thus instead needs to accelerate in the direction you aim. It does still work in the same way basic way wiimote ir works.

#13 Chronos21

Chronos21

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

it separates vertical and horizontal aiming onto 2 separate axis's, which should be an improvement, but i doubt it will reach ir or kbm quality.

What do you mean with the separate axis? I' ve played the demo on Gamescom and you can controll the camera either with stick and gyro in all directions.

And with the Wiimote you can play fast shooters really good, you only need good setting adjustments Marcus T.

Edited by Chronos21, 10 March 2015 - 12:31 AM.

#14 Foster

Foster

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • NNID:DekuJack
  • Fandom:
    The Zelder

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:27 AM

Splatoon is what happens when pure joy is encapsulated inside of a single game disc.

...s'pretty cool.

#15 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

What do you mean with the separate axis? I' ve played the demo on Gamescom and you can controll the camera either with stick and gyro in all directions.

And with the Wiimote you can play fast shooters really good, you only need good setting adjustments Marcus T.

as in you can use 2 different input methods for aiming in different directions. This can, and probably will, help with aiming and increase accuracy as it allows you to use each individual control method a little more accurately than you would normally.  That said i would still take wiimote aiming over stick+gyro atm.

#16 Chronos21

Chronos21

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

Ah, ok and thanks ;) Yes Wiimote aiming is great. The best way would be to have a Wiimote 2.0 with 2 sticks. While the pointer is purely for aiming, the right stick is for the camera movement.

#17 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Paint roller!

#18 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

Splatoon PAX East recap

75 new screens and art

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#19 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:51 AM

my hype level as risen so much for thisgame... as always Nintendo knows how to deliver the FUN. I do hope though that the Wii U online community embraces this game.

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

Ok well I agree on PC. I haven't played a game that does shooting with the wiimote very well in a situation where you have to run and gun. I thought the wiimote was excellent in RE4 but that was largely because you stop when you shoot. What games have done it well for running and gunning? And how did they deal with problem of turning the screen to aim? Cos that's the part where the wiimote seems inherently inferior to a control stick or mouse.

Red steel 2 was the one that figured it out.

They did it by having multiple user customizable turn boxes.

The inner box, was where you could free aim without the screen moving, the second box, would be a slow turn (The speed of which was customizable) the outer box was the line past which high speed turning would activate (Speed of high speed turning was also adjustable). All three box sizes, their length, and height, were customizable by the user, as well as the speeds each activated.

Allowing for stuff like this:

Tooeasy.gif

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!