• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:52 AM

This line of AMD GPU's code named Artic Islands (efficient and superior cooling, hence the name?) could be a great choice for NX based on the fact they will be 20nm or lower.

http://wccftech.com/...arctic-islands/

Edited by Scumbag, 01 April 2015 - 02:53 AM.

#22 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

Here is the quote i was talking about:
"we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems." - http://www.nintendo....40130qa/02.html

He wants to use the type of Wii U architecture and use it on both Handheld and Home Console.

He doesn't give away all that he has planeed but the sheds some light on A5.
You can find it here: http://www.nintendo....40130qa/02.html

That doesn't mean it will be the same architecture. It just means that he wants Wii U games to be playable. Apple did this when they switched to Intel and Nintedo could do the same.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#23 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

That doesn't mean it will be the same architecture. It just means that he wants Wii U games to be playable. Apple did this when they switched to Intel and Nintedo could do the same.

I just provided a part of what he talked about. He goes on to say the same as you just did: it doesn't mean it will be the same tech.

Of course, he doesn't specify what it is, but given this rumor, all things point to Nintendo changing architecture. To what extent, is what remains to be seen.

Personally, i highly doubt the next console will have backwards compatibility.
If i'm not mistaked, only Wii had that and it was because it was basically a GC 2.0. It was easy and cheap to offer that.
Assuming that Nintendo wants to save money in parts to improve others, you can bet they won't offer that option. Most likely they will offer Wii U games via eShop - like they are doing with Wii games.

#24 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:44 AM

After much thought, my guess on the NX is that it will be a hybrid console that is the real successor to 3ds but can play Wii U games at home. Think smaller clamshell gamepad with removable analogs and with more features to take advantage of new handheld games.

It would drive sales (new Nintendo handhelds usually do) and with the extra device included, being basically a smaller Wii U customers will have everything needed to play the delayed Zelda.

#25 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

After much thought, my guess on the NX is that it will be a hybrid console that is the real successor to 3ds but can play Wii U games at home. Think smaller clamshell gamepad with removable analogs and with more features to take advantage of new handheld games.

It would drive sales (new Nintendo handhelds usually do) and with the extra device included, being basically a smaller Wii U customers will have everything needed to play the delayed Zelda.

I doubt it will be a hybrid.

If you're going to do that, you compromise.

The portable part is less portable and the powerhouse part is less powerful.

In these days of 3ds, iPhone, iPad, etc, portable really needs to be portable. And the console should be very very powerful. Otherwise, who needs one? What's the point? Might as well AirPlay your iPad to the TV....

I doubt it's a hybrid. But it will be powerful. And the handheld(s) will be powerful too, but very portable.

Microsoft tried the hybrid route with the Surface. Tried to make it both a laptop and a tablet. The end result was a compromise that was neither excellent as a powerful laptop, nor as a Thin, power saving, portable tablet. It failed.

I like to think Nintendo pays attention to where these concepts overlap.

The Wii u is someone of a hybrid compromise itself, taking the tablet idea and trying to fit in into the controller. It failed.

So let's see a console do what consoles are supposed to do, provide a lot of power which in turn provides the basis for lots of fun.

Then let's see a powerful handheld provide lots of fun in a thin, smallish form factor with the battery life that allows that fun to be had for a long time. Both of these can be run with various implementations of the same architecture (but with different clock, chipset, ram amount, type, etc.,) to enable various versions of the same titles to launch quickly. Maybe simultaneously.

#26 fencefont

fencefont

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:55 PM

You are right. I agree with you.

coque galaxy s6 edge etui galaxy s6 edge

Edited by fencefont, 23 June 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#27 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

It would be cool to go back to the "Nintendo Entertainment System" for the main console and the "GameBoy" portable monikers.

And if (hopefully) the system can back it up, bring back the "Now You're Playing with Power" ad campaign.

A Zelda upgrade along with a new Metroid, and Mario game along with third party titles at launch would be awesome.

These titles can also be ported to the GameBoy since there will be architectural similarities.

#28 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:43 PM

^ Maybe the New NES!?

#29 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

Me no like AMD D: they suck lol

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#30 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

Me no like AMD D: they suck lol

not really...but each their own I guess

wa3Nq7j.png

#31 megafenix

megafenix

Blooper

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

I am not sure that NX(if its a home console of course) will keep backward compatibility via hardware since it could be said that IBM is out of the semiconductor market after selling its fabs to GlobalFoundaries;although IBM has a contract with GlobalFoundaries so that they will keep making chips for IBM(contract seems to be for 10 years since 2014), it seems that will only cover the new power pc designs like watson or chips for super computers and not desktops; IBM seems to be interested only in high end supercomputers and in cloud, mobile, analytics and other technologies, so it could be said that desktop chips are no longer in their plans

http://www.pcworld.c...end-design.html

It seems nintendo has two reasons for moving into the x86 design, developers need and no one to make powerpc chips for them or at least in the line for desktop pruposes

As for the GPU, i feel it will be just a little above ps4 in terms of raw power, but there is one thing i am almost certain, NX will use HBM/HBM2 technology(i feel it will be HBM2 since HBM has a limit of 4 gigabytes), with this the power consumption will be lower and edram will not be any longer necessary for GPU bandwidth needs, with this the development process will be easier, specially for third parties

Edited by megafenix, 01 September 2015 - 11:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!