NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

http://www.polygon.c...d-kill-consoles

Now, faced with the possibility of another off-cycle, not-quite-enough-next-gen console, Nintendo's brilliant minds must realize that it's becoming time to shed the console as we know it and the contentious business model it created, to once more reshape the game industry.

For Nintendo to succeed and to help free the video game industry from the shackles of console segregation, the NX should be a service, not an expensive box.

What that solution is — streaming to televisions, cable boxes or other devices; platform-centric operating systems on a computer; etc. — remains to be seen.

But it was Nintendo that helped create today's concept of game publishing, forced platform exclusivity and royalties, and it would be fitting for Nintendo to be the one that kills it and the console, too.

Same folks who brought us 

klkVWrW.png

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#2 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:22 PM

I'm not clicking that link. Shame on you for showing us this, we already have lots of examples of people that think Nintendo would do better without consoles.

Edited by grahamf, 11 May 2015 - 03:22 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

I'm not clicking that link. Shame on you for showing us this, we already have lots of examples of people that think Nintendo would do better without consoles.

They are saying all companies should kill the console, just that Nintendo do it first haha

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

I won't click but if this is from Ben the guy who has been fired a few times from other websites for harassing women at conventions and in general being an ass I won't be surprised.

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

I won't click but if this is from Ben the guy who has been fired a few times from other websites for harassing women at conventions and in general being an ass I won't be surprised.

Brian Crecente wrote it. You don't have to really click the link, I quoted the meat of the article anyways.

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

Seeing Sonic fanart is better than going to Polygon for anything and both I rather gouge out my eyes with a dull spork.

#7 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

The console needs to die?...

If anything the Wii U does, but consoles in general? No...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#8 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:05 PM

Seeing Sonic fanart is better than going to Polygon for anything and both I rather gouge out my eyes with a dull spork.

Don't do that, then you couldn't see the Sonic fanart

#9 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

If anything Nintendo might be the last one making consoles at a profit. Xbox will be rolled into Windows and be a specialized PC, while Playstation will take forever to make a profit.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#10 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

The console needs to die?...

If anything the Wii U does, but consoles in general? No...

Why kill something that makes profit? Why kill something early and lose customer trust. That would be a deadly mistake for Nintendo. It's not selling 20 million sure but it makes profit and in the end that's what it's supposed to do.

#11 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

Why kill something that makes profit? Why kill something early and lose customer trust. That would be a deadly mistake for Nintendo. It's not selling 20 million sure but it makes profit and in the end that's what it's supposed to do.

It took 3 years to make a profit...

sfOI1m6.jpg

#12 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

To be fair, the console hasn't been on the market for 3 years yet

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

For one ^ What he seid.

Two Microsoft has lost billions on the Xbox business. Consoles always were never much on making profit why software made up for it. Always been the model. Nintendo is the one always made profit on consoles even Gamecube which really brought the hardware. Sony and MS didn't make profit for years on each system (well OXB never did)

#14 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

To be fair, the console hasn't been on the market for 3 years yet

True, but compared to the sales of the PS4 and Xbox one... not doing too great.

For one ^ What he seid.

Two Microsoft has lost billions on the Xbox business. Consoles always were never much on making profit why software made up for it. Always been the model. Nintendo is the one always made profit on consoles even Gamecube which really brought the hardware. Sony and MS didn't make profit for years on each system (well OXB never did)

I think it's Nintendo's fault for what happened with the Wii U...

Lack of third party support, bad sales, name confusions, no games besides your usual Nintendo exclusives, lack of power making it not as powerful as Xbox one and PS4.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#15 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

True, but compared to the sales of the PS4 and Xbox one... not doing too great.

Sony is still making up for PS3 losses even with the nice sales of the PS4. MS never made money off it's hardware. Much of which Ryudo stated above. It's not like Nintendo should just kill off the Wii U now, or a while ago...their next system isn't ready and would even put a larger void in their financials.

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

Kill a console early and the next one does worse. See Atari and SEGA.

Sony nearly dropped out in 2008 as they were going to sell thier first party developers and drop PS3. That's how bad it was. Nintendo is nowhere near that problem. Wii U's failures are both Nintendo's and 3rd parties faults but also the consumers. Everything should have done well but didn't. A bad name does not really kill a console. Wii,Xbox 360,One,PlayStation,DS. ESP Xbox bnames as every one of them just means Xbox. Xbox,Xbox 360 (when you do a 360 degree turn it's just Xbox) and Xbox One so all have the exact same name in a  dumb way.

#17 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

Isn't Sony trying this with the PSTV kinda?

Stupid Snowmads!

#18 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

this funny!

#19 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

Yeah games should become a service, and consumer rights are a joke. We have not the right to own anything we buy. At this point and at that point we aren't even buying anymore just renting or borrowing for a price.

Yes you pay for a license but I'd like to see them come to my home and pry the game from my hands. I'd sooner burn all my collection than let them take it from me. 

Spoiler

#20 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

Sony is still making up for PS3 losses even with the nice sales of the PS4. MS never made money off it's hardware. Much of which Ryudo stated above. It's not like Nintendo should just kill off the Wii U now, or a while ago...their next system isn't ready and would even put a larger void in their financials.

I suppose.. but what games do we really have left to look forward to besides the ones coming out this year and Zelda U?

sfOI1m6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!