29 replies to this topic

#1 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz1mIotyy00

"High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cm...l#ixzz1mIpHoJhY

On Thursday Sony warned that it would suffer a net loss of Y220bn in the financial year ending in March, far worse than the Y90bn loss it had previously projected, though it expects the benefits of its latest restructuring to revive fortunes next year.
Mr Hirai promised to make “unavoidable, painful choices” to fix or dispose of lossmaking operations and turn the company round after what will be its fourth consecutive year in the red – tough talk that helped push Sony’s share price up 8 per cent on Friday."

Just went on the PS3 board and saw this, it's scary.

Due to Sony losing tons of money they are going to make “unavoidable, painful choices”, see I'm hoping this means like they will stop making TV's or something , and I hope it does not mean that the PS3 will be there last console, what do you guys think?.

#2 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz1mIotyy00

"High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cm...l#ixzz1mIpHoJhY

On Thursday Sony warned that it would suffer a net loss of Y220bn in the financial year ending in March, far worse than the Y90bn loss it had previously projected, though it expects the benefits of its latest restructuring to revive fortunes next year.
Mr Hirai promised to make “unavoidable, painful choices” to fix or dispose of lossmaking operations and turn the company round after what will be its fourth consecutive year in the red – tough talk that helped push Sony’s share price up 8 per cent on Friday."

Just went on the PS3 board and saw this, it's scary.

Due to Sony losing tons of money they are going to make “unavoidable, painful choices”, see I'm hoping this means like they will stop making TV's or something , and I hope it does not mean that the PS3 will be there last console, what do you guys think?.

I can't see them dropping out of consoles, TBH. Consoles are basically, if memory serves correct, the air in Sony's balloon. Said balloon is saggy and not very well filled, but it still has air. Something that I could see would be sony just becoming Entertainment only. No computers, no software, no cameras. Just Movies, Music, Video Games, and Videogame hardware.

I also see a possibility that Sony may not continue making consoles..... In the traditional sense. They would loose so much money if they even thought about a new console right now, especially with their $50 million "Marketing" campaign, that I could see them going a Gaikia/Onlive style. You have the hardware already, so you stream the games to your box.

Edited by Son of Ghetsis, 13 February 2012 - 02:49 PM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#3 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I kinda agree with N...

Sony needs to find a way to either have less costs or else more ways to earn income.

They might become a software only company... might.

#4 GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, RPGs, Nintendo, SE.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

OMG!! I'm sure I saw somewhere that 1 major gaming company isn't gonna make next gens console... D: It must be sony!!

Posted Image

#5 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

OMG!! I'm sure I saw somewhere that 1 major gaming company isn't gonna make next gens console... D: It must be sony!!

You mean this

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Gaikai-Sony-PlayStation-Microsoft-Nintendo,news-13858.html

I hope this is not true:(, I am a big Sony fan and even though I don't like the fanboys and Jack Trettion I love the consoles.

#6 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

You mean this

http://www.tomsguide...news-13858.html

I hope this is not true:(, I am a big Sony fan and even though I don't like the fanboys and Jack Trettion I love the consoles.

I was just thinking of this when I read the OP.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#7 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Psh... this can't be true.
Is it seriously the end?
Can't say I expected this....

Nah.... It's just.... no, I'm sure Sony will not quit.

Please quit you bahorse scat* I f****** hate you
Posted Image

#8 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Something that I could see would be sony just becoming Entertainment only. No computers, no software, no cameras. Just Movies, Music, Video Games, and Videogame hardware.

I believe they will only make Televisons and Consoles. Because they sell TVs very good. You see sony TVs almost everywhere.

#9 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

From what I can gather, the only profitable division of Sony is the Gaming division. Even Sony Pictures (Movies) is losing money. The movies they are spending on are not breaking even. IMO, Sony should just say "screw you" to TV's, Digital Camera's, and Music. Just focus on games and movies.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#10 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well this is kind of interesting. I'm glad that they are going to be making some difficult choices now instead of pretending problems don't exist and regretting it later. If they were to drop out of the console business, I think it might be a little sad seeing as would have gone from being extremely popular to nothing, but I would. However, as I have no actual attachment to Sony and I am somewhat of a Nintendo fanboy, I would still have to laugh a little bit at Sony's misfortune. But only a little bit. Unless people start making funny jokes about it.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#11 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

I believe they will only make Televisons and Consoles. Because they sell TVs very good. You see sony TVs almost everywhere.

^ This.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#12 mootap

mootap

Blooper

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

To be fair they have competition all around them.None buys a sony walkman anymore and instead opts for an ipod.People instead of the sony bravia choose a toshiba or samsung and now in console race they are being bet by Nintendo and Microsoft.
I think they relied way too heavy on the playstation brand and began acting cocky.Nintendo and Microsoft knew what they were doing but it just seemed the ps3 way just a collection of the best technology that was out right now.Plus that price point didn't help
Hopefully thier next gen will be more tradinional like the ps2
Posted Image

#13 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

There is an article in the internet that speaks, that one of this 2 players (MS, Sony) will depart from the console industry. And it will be announced in the upcomming E3. I posted the link somewhere in this forum... So its true? lets see.. Here it is http://www.xbitlabs....ess_Gaikai.html

I dont think sony will leave televisions.. Especially now that TV enters a new level.. Sony also takes money from patents and photographic sensors.. Sony builts Nikon sensors.

Edited by Orion, 14 February 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#14 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

I don't see it being likely that Sony will leave the gaming industry. PS3 is doing very well and there's still a chance for the Vita to be salvaged if they can get a good line-up of games for the rest of 2012. And with Kaz Hirai now being promoted to CEO, that shows that Sony still has confidence in their PlayStation division. I don't think we'll be seeing PS4 for a good few years yet though.

Posted Image

#15 GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, RPGs, Nintendo, SE.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

Well, it's not a big loss, right? If they don't make another console I mean. They don't have that many games that are only made for PS3 or anything... But, I dunno :P

Posted Image

#16 NovusRex

NovusRex

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Pokemon, Assassins Creed, Doom

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

I see it more likely that Sony will depart the gaming industry, than leaving other electronics. A new Playstation requires a large investment and thus money, which they don't appear to have at this moment. Other electronics are already established and require less investment, so it seems more likely to me that they stick with those relatively cheap products. The PS Vita might change things though, but if it flops it might be another reason to leave the gaming industry (for the upcoming generation).

Edited by NovusRex, 14 February 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#17 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Guys, maybe we're looking at this the wrong way, maybe they're not leaving gaming, but just the console race. They do have quite a few 1st party studio's, so it's not impossible.

And who knows, if they do go first party, maybe they'll come back to hardware eventually. If Hardcore Sega fans still have hope, then why not Sony, who would be in a better position than anyone like Sega.
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#18 Zok

Zok

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

I would bet they would cut out some of their work force, (e.g. FIRE people) before changing their product line dramatically.

#19 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:54 AM

I think they did already at 2009-2010, they shut down a couple of factories.. Remember? Ms did as well.. Also the today news, that developers already abandoning VITA and focusing in 3ds.. is bad enough... The feature of atari lynx or neo geo pocket..

My generation was a handheld generation in the early 90's, the new generation is a gadget generation, so they must focus in a more complex gadgets + handheld, to be able convince the new kids, buy them. I stopped buying handheld btw.. I grow up (but I kept them all for my collection). They must combine ebook tablets with the handheld consoles, now all universities and many schools teach in computers instead!!! Companies instead of combining this in one gadget, instead they sell us online services that drains money and its not worth it.. I would never buy for example a handheld without gardidge!! Also the ebook capabilities and notes, could be very useful even for my age!! Even project presentation + pc conectivity!!! (images, txt, etc).. They have to give us that, or else, they will always fail.

even Ipads are limited (with file transfer, storing, services) and extraordinary expensive.. I bet the 50% who got them are not satisfied entirely. (I dont speak about combining it with phone, thats not needed).

Edited by Orion, 16 February 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#20 EternalDeadman

EternalDeadman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo,and Sony

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

This seems very unlikely especially after reading this http://vita.ign.com/.../1218571p1.html

Edited by EternalDeadman, 17 February 2012 - 02:22 PM.

3DS Friendcode:0688-5291-6191
3DS Username:Knightwing
PSN: EternalDeadman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!