• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Just a general question: Do you post the same way you'd speak normally with another person?

I'll provide an example. I know some people who communicate very differently online than they do in person. On forums, these people attempt to sound more intelligent by using more difficult words and very carefully constructing their posts before posting. In person, however, these same people speak like the average layman, with a more limited vocabulary and much less 'commitment' towards the quality of their statements.

I suppose there is always a motive to these sorts of things. I never asked them why they change their speech online, but I imagine they do it for some amount of 'e-respect.' By sounding more intelligent, they better fit in with people they admire online, and are looked up to by other juniors who read their posts.

So what about you? I realize some people might want to lie, but please do be honest as reading a lie would a waste of time for those curious. Is your 'speech' online the same as your speech in person or is it synthetic (whether it be a product of wanting recognition or some other personal motive)?

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

I'm the exact same.

Sometimes the type of people that surround you require you to adjust the way you talk to them, but I do that irl too.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

I write the same way I talk. Unless some guy is being annoying, I just ignore them instead of yell at them.lol

Edited by Chinomanila, 23 March 2012 - 05:48 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

POPULAR

Do you post the same way you'd speak normally with another person?

Well, I live in Mexico, so the answer would be no :P

Edited by Waller, 23 March 2012 - 05:54 PM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#5 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

My 'Internet Personally' is exactly the same as my real personality. I see no reason to change myself for the world wide web.

Edited by Joshua, 23 March 2012 - 09:57 PM.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#6 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Generally the way I post is not the way I talk. I don't really talk much outside of work. One issue I have is that sometimes I have a hard time expressing my thoughts verbally because I can't think of the proper words. I like talking in a setting like an online forum as it gives me lots of time to think of how I really want to say something. Another thing I like to do online is say things like totally awesome and make up fake suffixes. Those are things that I can't really do in a workplace.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#7 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

No, I tend to say a lot of smart-a$$ comments to people, but for the most part yes.

LordPickleton.png

#8 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lucky Star, Animal Crossing, Darkwave.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

Mainly yes, I speak in the same way as I type :b.

http://www.20b.org/

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

You know you want to! 'Tis leaked Nintendo information!

#9 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Interesting.

I've seen a lot of people talk a mean game online, but I tend to question whether they'd be the same in person. That isn't to say I've met people like that on this website, but there are other forums with plenty of members posting things I highly doubt they'd say outside of the internet.

And I haven't answered my own question here. In person, I'm far more informal. Far more tangential. Nothing hyperactive, but I can tell you my speech online is very different from the way I'd normally speak.

#10 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

When I talk online, it gives me more of a chance to think before I say anything. That way I can put more quality into what I say rather than not. But I tend to be far more aggressive online, where I am much more passive in real life.

In real life, I don't talk much but I can also be a little impulsive. I'd have to say that the online me is given more of a chance to speak and actually expand upon myself.

#11 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Well, in real life I don't really like meeting new people, I'm a bit shy. But it just depends on how they appear to me. Online I know I talk way to much, and here I say pointless things. But in real life I only talk to people I know, and I don't say all of these weird things I do on the Internet. I do act more intelligent around others, depending on the situation. If I'm having a face to face conversation with an adult I know, I act very different then I do at home or school. During conversations, I tend not to explain things or speak up. This is a reason why I get in trouble sometimes. I may not speak up why I did something, which leads me into trouble.

I do not like making eye contact with someone during a conversation. I will stare at a wall, doorknob, or something else while I converse with someone. But I do have a good conversation with them. When people speak Spanish to me and they know English I answer in English. If they could barely speak English I will speak Spanish to them.

And That's Me!

Edited by Sportsgamer, 14 April 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#12 Mii

Mii

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Fandom:
    Minecraft

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Of course I do. I adjust my way of speaking to the people around me, and since people express themselves very differently in English then in Dutch I'll always attempt to express myself like a normal person who speaks English would do.

I hope you get what I mean. XD

#13 aaron

aaron

noraA

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Fandom:
    You

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

I talk a bit differently, mainly if I don't like them, or they got on my nerves, but for the most part, I speak the same.

by chance

#14 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm actually a horse.

Basically I'm the same way in the RW as I am on here. Though I'm more outgoing and energetic and whatnot than what you can tell from on here.

#15 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I try to be the same I'm more confident online though. I have interaction problems in real life, so I'm actually truer to myself online.

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

I doubt anyone would say they're different offline anyway.

My friends always tell me I'm the same drunk too, except I use the facilities a lot more...

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm the exact same, except the occasional meme.

Don't like not being "me".
I hate dressing up for Halloween and carnival/traditional thing we have here. This is since I'm small. Never dressed up. Hated it because I didn't like hiding/not being myself.
Still dislike it for almost the same reason :/

#18 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

-Delete-

Edited by Sportsgamer, 14 April 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#19 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Don't like not being "me".
I hate dressing up for Halloween and carnival/traditional thing we have here. This is since I'm small. Never dressed up. Hated it because I didn't like hiding/not being myself.
Still dislike it for almost the same reason :/

I guess you don't like roleplaying either?

I treat this place like another workplace - I act more professionally, more formally than I would normally. Why I do that, I don't completely understand myself, but it doesn't really bother me.

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

I guess you don't like roleplaying either?

I treat this place like another workplace - I act more professionally, more formally than I would normally. Why I do that, I don't completely understand myself, but it doesn't really bother me.

Because it's serious business talking about the Wii U.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!