Photo

A new Super Mario Bros game... not New Super Mario Bros.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

By now, most of us have seen/heard about this quote:

“In a recent interview, Mr. Miyamoto confirmed that a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii U system will be shown at this year’s E3 Expo. This is based on the Mario experience that was demonstrated at last year’s E3 Expo. We’ll have more to announce about our plans for the E3 Expo at a later date.”

- Nintendo representative

I will acknowedge that it is very likely that the new Super Mario game is in fact a New Super Mario Bros. game. However. it's not set in stone for us. We must realize that the NSMB Mii game was in fact a tech-demo. This new game is "based on the Mario experience that was demonstrated at last year's E3" and that could be a number of things:

- ti could simply mean it uses the controller will be used in similar ways it was used in the demo
- it could mean your Mii is playable in the game
- It could imply the game will have HD visuals.
- It could also mean that people were literally playing levels from the game last E3 without knowing it yet.

I know I'm stretching here, but just bare with me. A new 2D side-scrolling game doesn't automatically mean it's going to be NSMB Mii/Wii U. It could be the now famous Super Mario 4 (the newest NSMB would be 3, if I'm not mistaken), which could have key differences from NSMB. Different art style, different setting, maybe some kind of new gameplay mechanics, etc. There is also the possibility that Super Mario 4 is the 3DS side scrolling game, or that it is the new 3D Wii U game that is still early in development.

I know my speculation may be silly, but I find it curious that they said a, "new Super Mario Bros. game" instead of, "a New Super Mario Bros. game". I mean, it was typed so I assume it was proof read and "new" was not capitalized on purpose.

Thoughts?

Edited by Fig, 17 April 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#2 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

I still wish it were a 3D Mario game as opposed to a 2D one.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#3 dmann

dmann

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

I still wish it were a 3D Mario game as opposed to a 2D one.

I'm hoping it will be a mix between the two, like the Super Mario 3d land for the the 3ds
Nintendo Network ID: dmann21
3DS Friend Code: 2750-1109-4924

#4 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

I really don't understand the need for a new 3D Mario. 2D Is much better IMO and the last 2D one was 2009. The last 3D one was 2011. The time between NSMB - NSMBWii was 3 years, so the time between NSMBWii - SMB Wii U will also be 3 years which is a good gap.

And in reply to the topic title: yes I also figured this out, but many people haven't I think. I hope it will have a new artstyle (though I can't think of a much better one..) but I could deal with the NSMB style too, just most preferably with a different title.

Maybe it's like this: the 3DS 2D platformer will be more experimental, like: 2D with 3D elements as opposed to SM3DL which was 3D with 2D elements. And the Wii U version will be a new NSMB.

I'm hoping it will be a mix between the two, like the Super Mario 3d land for the the 3ds

Lol didn't notice your reply, exactly what I was thinking.
No sig.

#5 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

It will be fun to play regardless.

#6 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Even if it is a "New Super Mario" game, I doubt we will have to wait long for a 3D one.
Posted Image

#7 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

Even if it is a "New Super Mario" game, I doubt we will have to wait long for a 3D one.

Agreed, because they have multiple Mario teams. SMG2 came out in 2010 and SMG1 in 2007 so a new 3D game would be 2013 at its earliest. But at the other side, SM3DL was made by the SMG2 team so it might take a bit longer. I'd say late 2014 at the latest.
No sig.

#8 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Could easily be Super Mario Bros 4. Everyone seems to assume that's a 3DS game, but with this being confirmed I think it's more likely to be Wii U.

Posted Image

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

I hear the reps weren't calling it "just an experience" at e3 2011, it was the only title they weren't stressing as "only an experience" when talking about it with visitors to the booth.

Also, http://thewiiu.com/t...rean-interview/ could be SMB4.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

It's NSMB Mii people. Its easy to port over and up Rez to 1080p. It will show off features of the controller and help sell the wii u at launch. It is a sequel to the highest selling Wii game that wasn't a pack in game (25 million I think?). It's a sound business strategy. Dunno why people are in denial, NSMBW was awesome.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#11 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

It's NSMB Mii people. Its easy to port over and up Rez to 1080p. It will show off features of the controller and help sell the wii u at launch. It is a sequel to the highest selling Wii game that wasn't a pack in game (25 million I think?). It's a sound business strategy. Dunno why people are in denial, NSMBW was awesome.

Because it's a Wii game... If they're going to make NSMBMii, it shouldn't just literally be NSMBWii with Miis and new levels. It needs to be entirely rebuilt for the Wii U. Just having Wii-quality games in 1080p isn't good enough IMO.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!