• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

I am excited for the Wii U but slightly disappointed, let me explain. My main gripe is with the Wii U ports, I really want to hook it up to my headphones however there is no digital audio output, no coxial and no optical. The controller does have audio out but I doubt that there's a dolby decoder to give virtual 5.1 surround sound. My second gripe is lack of Ethernet port, some people may believe Ethernet is an ancient horse, well it's pretty much changing for me and many others in the UK. I have wired up most of my devices for the best speeds since for some reason wireless is unreliable for 50+Mb (I am using wireless N 450Mb concurrent dual band). I know it's a small minute problem but I would like to see an Ethernet port on the back, it's easier to stream movies when both devices are wired. It's like most video streamers have an Ethernet port on them and they're tiny. I mean Nintendo could not find space in there but if Nintendo are supposedly taking online seriously then why not? Could Nintendo increase the physical size to accommodate 2.5" drives, though if they included one it would cause the console price to increase significantly due to hard drives still being expensive and SSDs not reliable and affordable enough for mass market. Any other possible changes on the peripherals (ports etc not plastic cases) that people would like to see? I just wanted to get away from the whole "this GPU is used instead of that one"

#2 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I would want a USb 3.0 port and it can be just one while the rest are usb 2.0. I want to make full use of my external harddrive.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

My main gripe is with the Wii U ports, I really want to hook it up to my headphones however there is no digital audio output, no coxial and no optical. The controller does have audio out but I doubt that there's a dolby decoder to give virtual 5.1 surround sound.

My second gripe is lack of Ethernet port, some people may believe Ethernet is an ancient horse, well it's pretty much changing for me and many others in the UK. I have wired up most of my devices for the best speeds since for some reason wireless is unreliable for 50+Mb (I am using wireless N 450Mb concurrent dual band). I know it's a small minute problem but I would like to see an Ethernet port on the back, it's easier to stream movies when both devices are wired. It's like most video streamers have an Ethernet port on them and they're tiny. I mean Nintendo could not find space in there but if Nintendo are supposedly taking online seriously then why not?

Could Nintendo increase the physical size to accommodate 2.5" drives, though if they included one it would cause the console price to increase significantly due to hard drives still being expensive and SSDs not reliable and affordable enough for mass market. Any other possible changes on the peripherals (ports etc not plastic cases) that people would like to see? I just wanted to get away from the whole "this GPU is used instead of that one"

Nothing is final yet.

HDMI can carry most, if not all types of sound I thought.
An audiophile is a niche market, Nintendo don't like to waste money.

Wireless is easier and prettier, and Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy is all about that.
It's a shame really, wireless is half-duplex, so there is a real complaint to be raised regarding streaming movies and playing games online, along with the uptake of 50-100+mb in Europe.
I doubt Nintendo will even have Wireless N in it, sadly.

They've said they don't want to carry difference SKU's, and I don't see them including a hard drive inside the case at all.

USB ports can do pretty much anything.
A USB3 port would be a waste of money imo, but it'd stop a lot of people mother doging about it when there's actually no real reason for it, USB2 is faster than the BD drive in a PS3 for example.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

They have to give us 1 usb3 port, I posted this topic in nintendo forums, some of them found it stupid as always.. But I gave them many reasons why...

Because with usb2 ports, nintendo is forcing customers to buy second quality hdds.. dedicated usb2 port hdds are craps... They brake very easy, low capacity and more expensive! The ideal idea.. is to buy a cage and place hdd inside.. The bad news are, we have to buy expensive enclosures, because very cheap ones create conflicts with internal hdds and low speeds that usb2 port got.. I hope nintendo will consider better hdd connectivity.. I agree. After all, in 5 years from now, usb2 ports are going to be artifacts in museums...

But its good all of us, to send our concerns to nintendo, its good to let them know... I do always.. do you? or you just posting here only... we have to go to the source boys and girls.. not only posting our disappointments here..

Edited by Orion, 18 April 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#5 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Just be aware the current Wii U you see in trailers, interviews and what not aren't the final design yet.
From now until E3 there can be changes.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

They have to give us 1 usb3 port, I posted this topic in nintendo forums, some of them found it stupid as always.. But I gave them many reasons why...

Because with usb2 ports, nintendo is forcing customers to buy second quality hdds.. dedicated usb2 port hdds are craps... They brake very easy, low capacity and more expensive! The ideal idea.. is to buy a cage and place hdd inside.. The bad news are, we have to buy expensive enclosures, because very cheap ones create conflicts with internal hdds and low speeds that usb2 port got.. I hope nintendo will consider better hdd connectivity.. I agree. After all, in 5 years from now, usb2 ports are going to be artifacts in museums...

But its good all of us, to send our concerns to nintendo, its good to let them know... I do always.. do you? or you just posting here only... we have to go to the source boys and girls.. not only posting our disappointments here..

Just because something is newer or faster, doesn't mean you have to use it, nor does it mean there would be any gain at all.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

It's best that Nintendo skips out on USB 3.0 support for now, both the HDD USB 3 chipsets and the actual controller chipsets can't actually handle full bandwidth yet, and can have a few issues.

#8 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

usb2 ports have more issues with fast HDDs... I never buy dedicated usb2 hdd.. So I will never buy a nintendo usb disk.. as this disks are second quality, crappy... low speed... waste of money and more expensive and lower capacity... So at least they have to give us a usb2 port without issues, to be able connect my internal hdd with wii U.. or else, what the point... there is no point.. having console without hdd or the option to install MY choice hdd...

I never buy external hdd's... The only thing they got is the beautiful looks (plastic outside)..

Edited by Orion, 18 April 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#9 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

Hopefully Ninty adds an ethernet port. I've got a very long ethernet cable waiting to be used.
Nothing better than wired internet connections. :)

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#10 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hopefully Ninty adds an ethernet port. I've got a very long ethernet cable waiting to be used.
Nothing better than wired internet connections. :)

I have to agree with this, since when I get a Wii U at launch I would be in college in my College apartment and the Wi-fi sin't all that great at times.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!