Photo

Should Nintendo Be Interested in Making Phones?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

The PS Vita already has the option of using a 3G network.
I don't see why they couldn't make plans (like a phone) and add calling and texting to future handhelds.

Hopefully, people will do all of their calling, messaging, etc. through programs like Skype and Facebook in the future anyways.
(The PS Vita can run those programs.)

Also, it seems like a longshot at the moment but if all of those features could be put into one program with live updates to your device, any mobile device with internet access could be using a universal messaging and calling system.

Edited by Daniel, 21 April 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#22 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

The PS Vita already has the option of using a 3G network.
I don't see why they couldn't make plans (like a phone) and add calling and texting to future handhelds.

Hopefully, people will do all of their calling, messaging, etc. through programs like Skype and Facebook in the future anyways.
(The PS Vita can run those programs.)

Also, it seems like a longshot at the moment but if all of those features could be put into one program with live updates to your device, any mobile device with internet access could be using a universal messaging and calling system.

No. :)

Edited by Blasty, 21 April 2012 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

No. :)

I was reluctant to post that.
Just something similar, if you know what I mean.
An example that people know about.

#24 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

No not at all.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#25 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

^This.

#26 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Uh...no. They're already very successful at what they do, making games. Why would they want to screw that up to go into the phone market?

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#27 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hm... these thoughts make a lot of sense to me. Especially compelling seems to be the demographic argument (that people of the target age to appreciate an "N-Phone" probably won't want to/be able to pony up the cash to own/maintain one), as well as the worries about size/performance issues at the moment.

Ultimately, however, I suppose it always comes down to Nollog's point that Ninty's "business DNA" is wired toward making games (an end which the hardware serves, not visa versa), and that they would never really be GOOD at providing an iPhone-like experience... still, it will be a sad day for me when I have to download Mario as an app on my iPod.

#28 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

No, when the console market finally crashes as it inevitably will do, they can make games on other platforms, or make hardware with games pre-installed like game&watch, but obviously more capable.

why would the console market crash?
Posted Image

#29 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Nintendo has no experience in making phones.

Microsoft didn't have experience making consoles before the XBox came out.

Now look at them.

#30 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

why would the console market crash?

Because an asteroid is hurtling toward Earth.
Or because tablet's will have GPU's which will perform on par with dedicated hardware.
Or Godzilla will step on Nintendo HQ.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#31 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Or because tablet's will have GPU's which will perform on par with dedicated hardware.

lol i dont think you've thought about this very much. sure tablets will eventually be able to outperform TODAY's consoles. but will they be able to outperform tomorows? of course not, because at least nintendo will keep innovating, and when they innovate again, they will do stuff that tablets cant compete with. actually forget that, the wii u already surpasses any tablet that will be around even in the future, why? cos tablets aren't compatible with wii motes, which means u cant play 1:1 motion games with a tablet, no matter how powerful the tablet is. honestly im surprised to see u saying power is everything here on a nintendo based forum. a powerful tablet is not going to destroy the console market
Posted Image

#32 DigitalGreenTea

DigitalGreenTea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Fox

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

http://www.giantbomb...for-years/3592/

Posted Image

Nintendo patent this back in 2001. =)
Seeing as Smartphone games being just simple games, I think it would ruin the "Nintendo Magic" from Nintendo's games.

Posted Image

DGT - The Nintendo Enthusiast

#33 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

lol i dont think you've thought about this very much. sure tablets will eventually be able to outperform TODAY's consoles. but will they be able to outperform tomorows? of course not, because at least nintendo will keep innovating, and when they innovate again, they will do stuff that tablets cant compete with. actually forget that, the wii u already surpasses any tablet that will be around even in the future, why? cos tablets aren't compatible with wii motes, which means u cant play 1:1 motion games with a tablet, no matter how powerful the tablet is. honestly im surprised to see u saying power is everything here on a nintendo based forum. a powerful tablet is not going to destroy the console market

My original point is everything ends.
Do you still eat your mammoth steak raw? No, you cook it, and need a time machine to find mammoths to kill for their steaks.

also, http://www.gamasutra..._under_way_.php
http://www.slideshar...what-comes-next
The slideshow/presentation is worth a watch/listen if you've got 25-30 minutes.

Edited by Nollog, 23 April 2012 - 01:12 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#34 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I don't mind them making hardware, but apps? Hell no.

It'd end up just like the last time Apple tried to enter the console market.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#35 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

My original point is everything ends.
Do you still eat your mammoth steak raw? No, you cook it, and need a time machine to find mammoths to kill for their steaks.

also, http://www.gamasutra..._under_way_.php
http://www.slideshar...what-comes-next
The slideshow/presentation is worth a watch/listen if you've got 25-30 minutes.

thx i will take a look when i have time. i agree consoles may well eventually end, but i dont think its inevitable. i also dont see how tablets would bring about that end as i have stated before why they cant. im open minded that they might end some other way though
Posted Image

#36 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

i agree consoles may well eventually end, but i dont think its inevitable.

Does not compute.
Posted Image

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#37 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Bite your tongue.
Posted Image

#38 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Bite your tongue.

Posted Image
Tablet's are the Disruptive Technology.
Look at the sheer fact UE3 is running on tablets, it's only a matter of time before UE4 is too, and all associated games.
We'll get there sometime in the near future.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#39 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Microsoft didn't have experience making consoles before the XBox came out.

Now look at them.

Well, I suppose that is a valid point, and of course if Nintendo did have some good idea for a phone they could go ahead and do it. I just don't really see why they would.

Also, Microsoft didn't really have any experience with phones (that I am aware of), then they released the Windows 7 phone and look how well that turned out. Actually, I don't have a clue how it turned out. I haven't heard anything about it since it was released.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

The portables are capable of being phones.
The Vita has a messaging, party chat, Skype (I think it's possible.), and several social networking features, so I see this being possible without a problem pretty soon.
Don't hold me accountable for my words, but I believe so.
I can appreciate a pure gaming portable though, as many prefer that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!