Photo

Metroid Prime Online multi-player mode ideas.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Metroid Prime Online multi-player mode ideas. (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like an online multi-player mode in a future first person Metroid game?

1. Yes (18 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. No (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

3. Neutral (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Okay, so I'm pretty sure that a lot of us would very much like to see a new Metroid game in the Prime style (but not necessarily part of the Prime story line) on the Wii U rather early in the consoles life cycle. There has also been a very positive reaction to talk of the inclusion of online multi-player modes included in the game when the topic has been brought up. Now the big question is: what kind of online multi-player modes would fit in a Metroid game?

I've been brainstorming on the topic for a while; and I've came up with a few ideas that I would like to present to everyone here.

First, I would like to talk playable characters. My idea(s) center around two types of characters. First off is Bounty Hunters. Bounty Hunters would basically be equipped with Samus's armor and weapons, with unlimited ammo on beam weaponry and the ability to use missiles, Morphball, Morphball Bombs, Power Bombs, Screw Attack, etc. The second type of playable character would be a Galactic Federation Soldier (GFS for short). These guys would play a bit more like a traditional FPS character, with a bit of a Metroid Universe twist. They would have weaponry with the same effects as Samus's beam weapons (Power, Ice, Plasma, Wave, etc); but usually not quite as powerful, and with limited ammo. They can also find and grab weapons such as Missile Launchers in order to emulate/make up for the lack of some of the Bounty Hunter's other abilities. In the sake of fairness, Online matches would likely have to be limited to the options of Bounty Hunter only; GFS only; or, in team based battles, having one or two players serve the role of Bounty Hunter while everyone else takes the role of a GFS.

Second, lets talk about maps. I can see the maps for the multi-player mode being based on locations from the game, and possibly other Metroid games. They would have the same feel, consisting of many cavernous rooms littered with enemy creatures that will try to get in your way during the match.

Now, to get into actual gameplay modes. Of course you'll have your basic free-for-all, survival, and team based battle modes, which is pretty common in most modern day multi-player modes.  

Another mode I feel would work would be one inspired by Light-vs.-Dark mode in Kid Icarus: Uprising. If you've played Kid Icarus: Uprising, you likely have a good Idea where this is going. (If you don't please refer to this video: )
Basically just replace the fighters with GFSs and Pit and Dark Pit with Bounty Hunters (Samus and Dark Samus?), and insert more Metroid style gameplay and level design, and you have a good idea as to what I'm going for here.

Next up is an idea I like to call Bounty Hunting mode. Basically, you would be on a mission to destroy a monster(s), which could vary from having to kill several weak enemies to having to hunt down a boss creature. You could either compete to see who can fulfill the requirements first, or work together to take them down.

The last idea that I have thought of is something I would like to call "X-zone". Basically, when this option is activated, any creatures you encounter (with the exception of Metroids) could turn out to be an X parasite copy. Bounty Hunters would be able to absorb X harmlessly; but GFSs, on the other hand, wouldn't be so lucky. If they come in contact with an X, it will invade them, kill them, and then clone them. However, GFSs can defend themselves against X parasites, using a weapon that would appear when the "X-Zone" option is activated; which would basically be a beam that uses a blast of Metroid DNA to take out X. Extra ammo for this weapon could be found by defeating Metroids.

If a GFS player is X cloned, he will not be respawned until the X clone is defeated. In order to keep the player from being bored, they would follow the X, but of course having no control over it. In order to keep players from instantly knowing if a team mate has been X cloned (unless they were right there when it happened), features such as voice chat may have to be disabled when this mode is in effect, with either prewritten messages (think Monster Hunter: Tri), typed communication (odds are you'll be able to use a USB keyboard with the Wii U like you could with the Wii, or a virtual keyboard could show up on the controller like with Monster Hunter Tri), or a program that converts spoken words into on-screen text (though we all know how reliable that could be). My reasoning for this is that it would be far more obvious that your team member has been X'ed if he/she suddenly stopped replying in voice chat, than if the system can somehow provide text based responses when conversation is aimed at the player who has been X cloned.

Now this next part I'm not quite sure if the technology is here for yet, but I do think it would be rather cool, and add to the overall effect of the X if it can. What if the system could memorize part of your gameplay style; and imitate it to a degree when you get cloned by an X parasite. It would really force the player's team mates to pay close attention to see if anyone is doing anything to suggest that someone may really be an X trying to sabotage the rest of the team; and it would fit in along side of the X's ability to absorb the knowledge of their pray.

So, any (constructive) criticisms? Anything you'd like me to explain a bit further on? Ideas of your own? Do you think any of these would actually work in an online Metroid game?

Edited by Andy, 26 April 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Co-op Adventure.

Seriously.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

As long as they do not just stick it in as a filler ala Bioshock 2, then I would be very happy. :P
Posted Image

#4 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

I actually like your ideas Andy.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#5 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Nice shower ideas you got there. ;)
I like them all, especially the Light VS. Dark-esque idea.

Edited by Blakexd9, 26 April 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#6 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Great ideas. Multiplayer for a game like Metriod is kind of a must at this day in age.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#7 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Co-op Adventure.

Seriously.

Isn't Metroid supposed to be all about exploring all by yourself in a desolate world? Other M didn't have that, and I believe that's why a lot of people complained.

#8 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Co-op Adventure.

Seriously.

Exactly. It would be awesome.

*SPOILERS* The part I liked the most in Metroid Prime 3 was the part when you had to fight the pirates with a soldier squad helping you. THAT was awesome. It felt like a war... this is the kind of co-op I'd like to see.
Posted Image

#9 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Okay, this next idea isn't strictly related to online play, but I think it could be a cool addition. does anyone else remember how in Metroid Prime 3 you could mess around with buttons in Samus's ship, and one of them brought up something that looked like a targeting system onto the windshield? What if in the next Metroid game you could have actual air/space battles in Samus's ship/a Galactic Federation ship? For example: you could be flying to a planet with a Space Pirate Base on it, when suddenly a swarm of Space Pirate ships come after you. You then have to fight them off until you can find a spot to land and hide.
Metroid Prime 3 spoiler
Spoiler

Posted Image

#10 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

As I posted in the "Nintendo needs a Halo type game thread"

As for the poll...There should ONLY be a multiplayer if the Campaign doesnt suffer. Campaign > Online.

Metroid HD or Metroid Prime 4 (which ever it will be called) Could easily be made to be Nintendos version of Halo. You shoot aliens (Space Pirates) Metroid Prime 2 had a local multiplayer that was actually really fun. If Metroid HD had an online mode it would work like this.

Everyone is Samus (But can customize Armor)

Add a ranking system.

Earn Space Credits or whatever the money would be in Metroid. You can spend those Space Credits on an Armory to buy new Armor (Just for looks) (Like Halo: Reachs Armory)

Playlists like Team Hunters which would be the equivalent of Team Slayer on Halo. A 4Vs4 match to say 50 kills, A CTF type match called something like Capture the Power Nodes (Wasnt that in Metroid Prime Hunters?) Big Team Hunters which is an 8Vs8 game up to 100 kills or unless there is an objective mode like CTPN (Capture The Power Nodes) Lone Hunter which is your Free For All. 8 person FFA. Good maps not taken out of Campaign. You would have weapons all over the map like before. Start off with Samus's regular arm gun. The Imperialist from Hunters would be the sniper and so forth.

You get the idea. Oh yah an a 2 player Co-op Campaign.

Edited by Nin_Stream, 01 May 2012 - 10:35 PM.

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#11 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

OP reps for giving option: neutral

I am more afraid of the corrupted demographic transfer - with it the habbits and behavior as well as attitude and overall philosophy of the PS360 "modern warfail / modern crapfare" demographic could dilute and damage the great and strong health of nintendo community (Wii casuals(families..etc) are not fans nor relevant in this "community")

With multiplayer the demographic that comes with it only cares about such americanized-militaristic-mindless-shooting type's of games which are pretty annoying and hard to co-exist peacefully with the other types.

The good news is if the transfering community get's adapted to the way nintendo works, educated and the fact that microsoft started to piss off the x360 fans with it's kinect "strategy" ... might make an edge with the public perception.

This is when we come in - we must provide and spread the facts and nintendo legacy to open the eyes in these people, some people like crazy no-life kids might be too corrupted to influence remotely in a short period.

Thus i would rather not see stuff like Call of Duty on WiiU and shoddy ports ...

Edited by Stewox, 02 May 2012 - 03:29 AM.

Posted Image

#12 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Good ideas but I'd like to see more than just bounty hunters and the gfc throw in the space pirates army not to mention the other existing races and ones they could invent this would also allow a much broader base for armor and weponry. Also the the option to switch views (if done right) from first person to a third or thirdish (mass effect 3) would be nice, After all whats the point to makeing armor changes and swaping to a diffrent race if your the only one who can't see it.

Also I'd like to see them do a seperate multi player only game, somewhat like mag but in the metroid universe. gfc, space pirates, other alien races, Huge battles on the galatic scale for control of planets and sol systems epic.

#13 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

LET'S HAVE AN RTS MULTIPLAYER MODE! IT'S PERFECT FOR WII U!

Edited by Waller Cross, 02 May 2012 - 08:39 AM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#14 PipoPito

PipoPito

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Metroid, Pokemon, Ape Escape

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

You know i think the next metroid should use uprising's gameplay style (Land).
Old Usernames: Pipopito, Great Mighty Poo , Pit.

#15 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

"americanized-militaristic-mindless"?  I don't think that's a very descriptive title as far as the behavior sets you are objecting to... it sounds like some political rhetoric is getting mixed up in your otherwise very careful analyses... also, it's kind of offensive to me as an American.

If you mean that the kind of gamers that like games such as CoD are accustomed to rapid killstreaks, twitchy or knee-jerk play mechanics, and simple structures of play, then I could understand what you are saying... but I'm still not sure about which of those elements you find objectionable.  Are you saying that you would prefer the Metroid multiplayer to differ from one of these (or similar areas) in terms of mechanics?

Or maybe do you mean the social ettiquette of players on many of these types of games?  The swearing, trash-talking, whining, threatening, belittling, and berating of new or inexperienced players?  I could also understand that objection... do you want a kinder, more polite and more inclusive "crowd" for social gaming?

I agree that the best use of multiplayer for a Metroid game would be for co-op... I would really like that... though I also get the point about Prime being so successful due to its sense of loneliness and isolation.  A versus mode would have to include some of these great ideas about complex maps with world enemies, or interesting objectives and puzzle-solving elements included.

I really don't understand the term "mindless" as it is commonly being used on these forums, and I don't think that it has proved a very helpful term.  Many gaming enthusiasts from across the world have been rather devoted to games that feature simple, repetitive processes which demand little higher-order thinking.  I find "militaristic" similarly unhelpful, as I doubt that it is being used technically.  If we're simply talking about a fascination with the military and/or military operations, then I don't see the problem.  Cultures across the world and throughout history have been fascinated with (and even glorified) the military, and many great games (not talking about CoD here) have used this fascination as a foundation.  If you find CoD itself to be irreverent toward life, misleading in its politics, or dangerous in its sanitization of violence, then I might see a productive dialogue (and I might agree with you).

#16 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Exactly. It would be awesome.

*SPOILERS* The part I liked the most in Metroid Prime 3 was the part when you had to fight the pirates with a soldier squad helping you. THAT was awesome. It felt like a war... this is the kind of co-op I'd like to see.

Yeah so awesome! I don't mind an action based Metroid. It could be their Halo.

As for the topic: MPH Multiplay was awsome.
No sig.

#17 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Okay, this next idea isn't strictly related to online play, but I think it could be a cool addition. does anyone else remember how in Metroid Prime 3 you could mess around with buttons in Samus's ship, and one of them brought up something that looked like a targeting system onto the windshield? What if in the next Metroid game you could have actual air/space battles in Samus's ship/a Galactic Federation ship? For example: you could be flying to a planet with a Space Pirate Base on it, when suddenly a swarm of Space Pirate ships come after you. You then have to fight them off until you can find a spot to land and hide.
Metroid Prime 3 spoiler

Spoiler

Damn what a good idea! it would be so immersive!
Posted Image

#18 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Is everyone really forgetting about Hunters? The multiplayer was damn good, and so was the story (though nothing near the console versions). Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever and for sure the best Metroid game ever (there! I said it). What if they could make a game as good as Prime with all the typical Metroid features (exploring, items n' stuff) but add a completely different multiplayer mode that's like.. Halo or something. But with more options and more expanded controls.
No sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!