• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

"There is always a limit to our internal resources," Iwata told a group of investors last week in Japan. "The company now has to develop software for the Nintendo 3DS, has to prepare for the Wii U launch and has to finalize the hardware functionalities. With these circumstances in mind, if I said that an overwhelmingly rich [Wii U] software lineup would be prepared from day one, it would be too much of a promise to make."

Iwata went on to describe that despite the pressure and demand on his development teams, Nintendo would be able to "make several proposals" about games for the Wii U launch window. In Iwata's view, these games could go on to become blockbuster 'evergreen titles' like New Super Mario Bros. or Wii Fit, which went on to sell tens of millions over several years.

"We have learned the lesson that we have to make that kind of preparation for the Wii U, or the Wii U will not gain enough momentum to expand its sales," Iwata concluded. "We would like to share additional information at the E3 show in June this year."

These messages are similar to ones we've heard in the past, though this is the first time Iwata has directly laid out not only the obstacles Nintendo faces, but the fact that the company will nonetheless be armed with several concepts early on in Wii U's life. Iwata noted this is partly possible because his company has "expanded" development efforts in recent years - that its "ability has increased in comparison to that of five years ago."

Iwata noted that not only would Nintendo be showcasing its Wii U games at E3 2012, but third party publishers would have content as well. The executive mentioned this specifically to compare Wii U's level of external support to the 3DS, which struggled to maintain a steady flow of content shortly after its launch.

http://wii.ign.com/a...l#disqus_thread

#2 InsaneLaw

InsaneLaw

Blooper

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Fandom:
    All

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

It's pretty much stating the obvious, they're bringing a new console out and because of that they won't have many games ready at launch, of course they'll have some games but I'm sure that Iwata was talking about those people that pretty much expect everything.

#3 Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, CoD

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

The limits he's talking about are for first party software only. This is why they need 3rd party support. And from what we've heard so far, it seems pretty decent for the 3rd party software that's going to be available in the launch window.

I hardly think anybody out there is expecting a magnitude of 1st party software available at launch. They just can't repeat what they did with the 3DS launch where none of the 1st party software was a system seller and all/mostly all of the 3rd party launch software was shovelware.

#4 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

They'll make it through. I am sure of it. (Though I would be disappointed if they release a Wii Fit title at launch of the Wii U.)

So third party games being shown at E3... Interesting. (Kind of a given though.)

#5 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

They'll make it through. I am sure of it. (Though I would be disappointed if they release a Wii Fit title at launch of the Wii U.)

So third party games being shown at E3... Interesting. (Kind of a given though.)

I'm 90% sure there will be a Wii Fit title at launch. Possibly alongside Wii U play and Wii U sports. Hopefully we also get lots of big-time titles as well, even if they aren't made by Nintendo. Rayman Legends and Darksiders 2, anyone?

#6 Stewox

Stewox

Spiny

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

The limits he's talking about are for first party software only.

To strengthen it ... incase someone failed to read/understood it.

Edited by Stewox, 02 May 2012 - 01:48 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Rockalot

Rockalot

Blooper

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

So hire more people.

I mean I know it's not that simple but still, dont over work the brilliant minds you already have there.

E3 could not come sooner.

Posted Image

#8 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

That's actually good. You don't want to clog up the launch window with lots of games, especially first party ones because:

1. It lessens the sales potential for the title, as it has many competitors
2. Third party games need a chance to sell on the console
3. If Nintendo has an awesome first party launch, then the next year will be slow

Ppl who are asking for all these titles at launch are getting way to ahead of themselves. How many of you buy 5-6 games during a consoles launch?
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#9 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:19 AM

I can't imagine the pressure on Nintendo's EAD's and sub-divisions right now. They must be working their backsides off to get these software titles ready.

How many of you buy 5-6 games during a consoles launch?

If I had enough money I gladly would. I bought the 3DS with 4 launch games.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#10 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

They have many games planned and ready to launch, probably not the ones the wish to launch are ready yet. Considering that only the Zelda team have been working on any recent games and with other main series 3DS title being outsourced to outside devs, I'm pretty sure Ninty has a trick up their sleeves.

CVG has an extensive feature on the Wii U in debunking rumours and just making sense to skeptics. This page highlights that most of Nintendo's teams have not released a product in a while

http://www.computera...ge=5#top_banner

#11 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

They have many games planned and ready to launch, probably not the ones the wish to launch are ready yet. Considering that only the Zelda team have been working on any recent games and with other main series 3DS title being outsourced to outside devs, I'm pretty sure Ninty has a trick up their sleeves.

CVG has an extensive feature on the Wii U in debunking rumours and just making sense to skeptics. This page highlights that most of Nintendo's teams have not released a product in a while

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/343549/features/wii-u-the-truth-behind-the-rumours/?page=5#top_banner

Well yeah, Nintendo stopped supporting the Wii in 2010. So most intnal studios have been developing for the Wii U for two years, so the wii u should have an Awesome launch and first year.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#12 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Im going to buy 3 games at launch for sure. Maybe 4....If I have the money lol.

That's actually good. You don't want to clog up the launch window with lots of games, especially first party ones because:

1. It lessens the sales potential for the title, as it has many competitors
2. Third party games need a chance to sell on the console
3. If Nintendo has an awesome first party launch, then the next year will be slow

Ppl who are asking for all these titles at launch are getting way to ahead of themselves. How many of you buy 5-6 games during a consoles launch?

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!