Photo

"The Wii U Controller Needs Analog Sticks and Triggers"

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: "The Wii U Controller Needs Analog Sticks and Triggers" (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the lack of proper analogue sticks and triggers bother you?

1. Yes, it should have it. (15 votes [34.88%])

Percentage of vote: 34.88%

2. No, but it would be nice to have. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

3. No, don't care. (14 votes [32.56%])

Percentage of vote: 32.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SaltyMeatballs

SaltyMeatballs

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

The rear triggers on the Wii U controller are simplified buttons, unlike the sensitive analog triggers you would use to gradually accelerate in any modern driving game on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Again, the 3DS shares similarly lacks analog triggers if you want to check it out. This seems like less of a big deal, but the loss of the standard analog controls altogether may dissuade gamers from playing multiplatform games on the Wii U. It's hard to imagine the various advantages of the controller outweighing basic loss of functionality that even the GameCube controller had a decade ago.

What do you think, do they have a point?

Personally I haven't used the circle pads like the 3DS yet so I don't know if it will be a problem or not. Triggers are only good for racing games which require precise throttle/breaking but it would be nice to have.

Edited by SaltyMeatballs, 14 June 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#2 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

It is going to be a personal choice. If will not affect the way I play video games in general. Even in racing games I don't see a major problem. There are different ways people play racing games. A lot of the people I know use some wheel with pedals setup.

#3 raney150

raney150

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:23 AM

I love the 3DS circle pad, but I think proper analog sticks are needed for a home console.
For the 3DS, it works perfectly fine, and would on a home console. It would just be so weird though. I'm hoping they switch to clickable analog sticks though. and the triggers seem fine to me.

#4 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

The 3DS circle pads are good on a handheld, but for the Wii U I'd rather see proper analogue sticks. Triggers would be nice to have, but I'm not too sad about the lack of them.

#5 SaltyMeatballs

SaltyMeatballs

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

I think the circle pads are just a design choice, to make the controller look flat. Hopefully Nintendo use analogue sticks, but I don't see them doing it.

#6 Tony Bradshaw

Tony Bradshaw

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

Not so fussed about triggers, but I really prefer the analog stick. :)

Posted Image
For all the latest Wii U News: http://wiiuupdates.com/

#7 themoth2112

themoth2112

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Music

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

Triggers are needed, lets say you are racing in fzero but u wanted to slow down just a little bit but not entirely?
U need triggers people!
Stupid people do stupid things
Smart people outsmart each other.

#8 SaltyMeatballs

SaltyMeatballs

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

F-zero. Slow down. ? I don't follow :)

#9 SpecialHam

SpecialHam

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Stuff and Battlefield/Cod

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

F-zero. Slow down. ? I don't follow :)

So you can have variable speeds.

#10 Deboog

Deboog

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

The 3DS circle pads are good on a handheld, but for the Wii U I'd rather see proper analogue sticks. Triggers would be nice to have, but I'm not too sad about the lack of them.

This. The circle pad is fine, but it very simply is not as good as analog. Nintendo will hopefully realize this, but I wouldn't count on it.

#11 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

This. The circle pad is fine, but it very simply is not as good as analog. Nintendo will hopefully realize this, but I wouldn't count on it.

Actually, I start to like circle pads much more than analog sticks. Don't really know why, though.

Posted Image

#12 KillerFreak

KillerFreak

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Is there a "SLIDE PAD FTW!!!!!!!" option?

#13 seakingz ★

seakingz ★

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Fandom:
    The legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

I would prefer normal control sticks above circle pads, but I don't mind the shoulder buttons. I prefer when they are buttons, takes less effort to press them down.

Posted Image

#14 Droenix

Droenix

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

Just bring back the Gamecube analog sticks, those worked pretty nicely! I've never had experience with the circle pads, so I can't comment on how they feel, but at least their not like the PSP analog sticks...
Posted Image

#15 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

Another IGN editor posted an article about the controller as well, couple of days before this one and he said to not confused the circle pad things with the ones on a 3DS as the Wii U ones are a lot more comfortable. Weird to have completely opposite views of the device from the same site.

Triggers aren't that important imo, I dont even remember playing a game ever that made good use of them tbh. I'm sure they are out there somewhere its just not what I play I guess.

#16 SonofMrPeanut

SonofMrPeanut

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:52 PM

From what I've heard from most hands-on reports, the "Circle Pads" are closer in feel to the analog on the Nunchuck. As long as this holds true when I play it, I won't have a problem with them. Honestly, I don't think the loss of the ability to click the sticks in is a dealbreaker or anything. How often is that even used? Whenever it is, they could find a way to map that to the touchscreen since it's only the replacement for a button press. Really, clickable thumbsticks are a way to save real estate if no other option exists. Sticks would lend themselves better to more versatile movement, but I don't believe their absence destroys the relevance of this controller.

However, I couldn't agree more with Sam about the triggers. If they're going to be on the controller at all, they need to be analog. The racing genre is the only one where this functionality comes to mind, but Mario Kart (their racing game) hasn't used that more traditional control scheme in all its years. However, that should almost certainly turn off developers of racing games eventually if not immediately, so someone in Japan really needs to put forward that issue if they haven't already while there's still time to make the change. If this controller really is going to be the "Swiss army knife" of controllers, it should have as many options at its disposal as possible/cost effective without neutering it.

Edited by SonofMrPeanut, 14 June 2011 - 11:57 PM.

"Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins." - Ricardo Montalban, Freakazoid!

Posted Image

#17 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

Disappointing about the triggers.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#18 Jubies

Jubies

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

My only problem with the triggers is that a new Luigi's Mansion wouldn't be great without it being able to tell how hard I'm holding it down. Not that they're going to make a Luigi's Mansion 3 anyway.... I think I would be the only person that would want it.

#19 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:29 AM

Firstly, I think the complaints about the circle-pads instead of thumbsticks is nit-picking, at worst, it's a minor irritation. The change of a control from analogue to digital is slightly more important, though again, not the end of the world. The touch-screen and gyros can easily help replace any missing analogue controls. Surely the obvious solution, in a racing game, would be to map the brakes and the accelerator to one of the analogue circle pads, steering could be taken care of by the gyros?

Having said that, one thing that seems to be missed by most journo's commenting on the Wii U is that it offers more controller options than any other console. Okay, only the Wii-tablet-thingy comes with the base unit, but the Wii U will support the Wiimote for motion social/party gaming, the Wiimote and nunchuck, the Classic controller/classic controller pro and the balance board, as well as the new controllers range of options; touch-screen, gyros, accellerometer, mic camera, etc. With the exception of the balance board, non of these are going to break the bank, so each players favourite control option is, at least in theory, available.

Edited by Mukkinese, 15 June 2011 - 04:15 AM.

#20 Jabob

Jabob

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:40 AM

Yeah I do prefer the GameCube style triggers and analogue stick. however, I don't mind the new circle pad, though still a bit unsure about the triggers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!