• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#41 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

• This coming from a person who posted a video of 9/11 with two dudes laughing in the backround and thought it was funny doesn't exactly make me feel like I need to :ahem: 'grow up.'

To quote a youtube user by the name of TheAfroThunder1:

I laugh.
Some people are pathetic;
- If you saw the Hiroshima nuke with the "WTF Boom" audio in the background, you'd laugh your ass off.
- You wouldn't believe how many holocaust jokes I've heard.
- Don't act like you've never seen the "Kony Dubstep dance" video before.
But something to do with America. OH NO!!!

#42 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

A per-user toggle is impossible with IP.Board's current design, unfortunately. That would indeed be a better solution. :)

It isn't impossible. :( It's a pretty straight forward modification of the php files.

When I used IP, I had to manually edit the php all the time.
If you don't update often it's a great solution, but if you like to keep stuff up to date as you should, it's painful.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#43 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

It isn't impossible. :( It's a pretty straight forward modification of the php files.

When I used IP, I had to manually edit the php all the time.
If you don't update often it's a great solution, but if you like to keep stuff up to date as you should, it's painful.

Forums and other websites get cracked and broken into all the time. By far one of the most common reasons I see for such incidents is that the site owners were using an old version of their software in the interest of preventing anything from breaking. Given, IP.Board is much more secure than most forum platforms, but each update includes many useful bug fixes and sometimes a security fix as well, so I tend to prioritize the installation of updates.

The third generation of the IPS framework has a hooks system designed to avoid the pain of manual code edits, but creating a hook to override the default functionality of the swear filter would require a developer who is familiar with the platform (that is, if it is even possible to hook into the swear filter). There are also performance considerations to take into account as well, considering that IPB is designed to cache posts in fully rendered, raw HTML. If each user could choose whether to see a filtered or non-filtered version of a post, this would either require the system to be modified to cache two different copies of the post or posts would need to be parsed and filtered on-demand.

These are just a few considerations to keep in mind before I start hacking away at raw PHP.

#44 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

To quote a youtube user by the name of TheAfroThunder1:

So because a random Youtube user decided to trivialize an UNPROVOKED TERRORIST ATTACK that killed several thousand people, it makes it ok? The fact that he trivialized it as if we should forget it is sad in and of itself. The Hiroshima bomb isn't as comparable, as it was brought on by Japan's bombing Pearl Harbor, the Holocaust isn't a laughing matter either. It makes me sick either way, war is not something to be trivialized. It isn't truly right in ANY case. The deaths of several thousand, regardless of the situation or when it happened, is not something to trivialize or take lightly.

Edited by GameCollector, 02 June 2012 - 12:58 PM.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#45 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

Forums and other websites get cracked and broken into all the time. By far one of the most common reasons I see for such incidents is that the site owners were using an old version of their software in the interest of preventing anything from breaking. Given, IP.Board is much more secure than most forum platforms, but each update includes many useful bug fixes and sometimes a security fix as well, so I tend to prioritize the installation of updates.

The third generation of the IPS framework has a hooks system designed to avoid the pain of manual code edits, but creating a hook to override the default functionality of the swear filter would require a developer who is familiar with the platform (that is, if it is even possible to hook into the swear filter). There are also performance considerations to take into account as well, considering that IPB is designed to cache posts in fully rendered, raw HTML. If each user could choose whether to see a filtered or non-filtered version of a post, this would either require the system to be modified to cache two different copies of the post or posts would need to be parsed and filtered on-demand.

These are just a few considerations to keep in mind before I start hacking away at raw PHP.

Yeah but it's not impossible.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#46 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yeah but it's not impossible.

maybe you should help feldo do it.

If he was ever willing to.

#47 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

maybe you should help feldo do it.

If he was ever willing to.

It's not worth doing.
I just wanted people to know it's technically possible.
I wouldn't do it.
You'd have to edit the php, and then every time you updated you'd have the swear shown to everyone while you edit your edits back in.
It's not worth doing.

Edited by Nollog, 02 June 2012 - 03:04 PM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#48 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

I just removed nine posts arguing over 9/11 in a feedback thread regarding the swear filter. <_<

Please take it to a personal conversation, guys. I think this thread has served its purpose, so I'm gonna lock it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!