• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

This is probably my favorite quote of the year. I figured it deserves it's own thread, especially since it brings up a lot of good points.

http://www.zeldainfo...-and-netflix-on

This is the year where there were two things that stood out for me. One was: The ultraviolence has to stop. We have to stop loving it. I just don't believe in the effects argument at all, but I do believe that we are fetishizing violence, and now in some cases actually combining it with an adolescent approach to sexuality. I just think it's in bad taste. Ultimately I think it will cause us trouble.

I left Eidos in 2004 because I looked around at E3 and saw the new Hitman game where you get to kill with a meat hook, and 25 to Life, the game about kids killing cops, and Crash & Burn the racing game where the idea is to create the fieriest, most amazing explosions, not to win the race... I looked around my own booth and realized I just had one of those 'which thing is not like the other' moments. I thought it was bad then, and now I think it's just beyond bad.

We've gone too far. The slow-motion blood spurts, the impalement by deadly assassins, the knives, shoulders, elbows to the throat. You know, Deus Ex had its moments of violence, but they were designed - whether they succeeded or not I can't say - but they were designed to make you uncomfortable, and I don't see that happening now. I think we're just appealing to an adolescent mindset and calling it mature. It's time to stop.

#2 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

It doesn't need to stop they are just making too many.

Edited by Sportsgamer, 15 June 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#3 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

...Isn't this rather ironic coming from the man who created the original Deus Ex?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

I agree that the industry has lately taken the route of glorifying violence to a level that is reminiscent of fetishism. While I don't think that there's anything wrong with having some games that are over the top when it comes to violence; the rate at which the industry has been moving toward these types of games is just plain astounding. I also find myself reminded of an article I recently read on Kotaku. Over the course of Sony and Microsoft's E3 2012 conferences, there was over 200 on screen deaths. I also don't remember seeing a single game at their conferences that was aimed at the "core" gamer that didn't include a gun in some way, shape, or form. This really does kind of blow my mind a bit.

...Isn't this rather ironic coming from the man who created the original Deus Ex?

Posted Image

He actually brought that up in the last paragraph. :P
Posted Image

#5 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

There is nothing wrong with over the top gore. I love games like Bulletstorm, No More Heroes, Lollipop Chainsaw Mad World, Amnesia, or Resident Evil. I think it has the potential to deliver on characterization and story or even be humorous in the case of any Platinum Games or Suda 51 creations. As long as we are not using it as a crux for bad gameplay, or lack of creativity I personally have no problem with the kind of gore we have been seeing. Should it be there in some games? Nope. Should it be there in every game? Absolutely not.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#6 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image

[font='Helvetica Neue', ', HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif} ']You know, Deus Ex had its moments of violence, but they were designed - whether they succeeded or not I can't say - but they were designed to make you uncomfortable, and I don't see that happening now. I think we're just appealing to an adolescent mindset and calling it mature.[/font]

#7 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

What I find more troubling is the growth in the amount of children playing violent, Mature rated video games. Games such as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and Mortal Kombat are widely being played by children under the age of 18. It is no doubt distorting their view on life in general.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#8 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

In 15 years from now when all the 8 year olds that are playing games like he described are grown up and crime goes thru the roof because they all think its just a game everyone will realize that this man was right...

#9 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

I don't think kids will think it's just a game. In fact, I used to think the idea of it affecting children was really stupid. But over the years violence has just been more glorified, so there is the chance of them giving into it because it's "cool".
But then again, violence has always been glorified for little boys... Cowboys vs Indians, etc.
I don't know how I stand on it. :/

Either way, parents need to stop letting their kids play M rated games. I understand if the kid is 15 or so and you "trust them" and decide to fudge the rules, that's normal and acceptable. But tweens and younger shouldn't be playing M rated games.

...Not that that's really the point of this thread haha. The ultraviolence... While it's not usually my taste, I won't say they should stop. But I think they should stop using it as the automatic draw to the game. The market is getting oversaturated and it's not "mature".
Posted Image

#10 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

I see most people here didn't play GTA SA at 9 years old like I did... :P

I really don't see the problem as long as the child knows how to deal with it. The problem is when we have almost nothing but mature/violent games. Not because of the effect it has on the kiddies, but simply because it's... well, boring. I need my Mario and my Kirby in between my GTA and my Halo, or else there's no variety, you see?

Edited by Deadly Virus, 16 June 2012 - 03:31 AM.

Posted Image

#11 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

Yes personally, I'm not allowed to play M games so I think that a lot of games just have unescessary amounts of blood and gore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!