• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Wow I now believe the Wii U is weak. Gcn is more powerful.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#22 Matten

Matten

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii this site.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Somewhere Bill Gates is grinning and rubbing his hands together maniacally. This is just another example of an ignorant blogger on the internet. It's a shame we probably just gave his sad article an extra 100 hits or so when we all know the Wii U has multiple cores.

Nintendo is a company that polishes everything up before releasing it to the public so I have faith that if we have the option to use multiple pads then they will work properly. I have no reason to believe otherwise, regardless of what some fool on the internet says. It seems powerful enough to stream some games entirely through the pad so I'm sure it'll be just fine. I personally won't be owning two pads myself but I guess if someone else brings one over we could use two, but I don't imagine anyone bringing that big thing over if I already have regular controllers at my place lol.

#23 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

jeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssus H christ if some guy said wiiu has a issue when you plug it in it smells of poo from the fan would you believe them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD THEY STARTED PICKING ON THE CPU NOW MOVED ONTO THE GPU ASK YOUR SELFS FRIGGING WHY DUDES ITS ANTI NINTENDO PRPERGANDA

same as wiiu less power than a frigging tablet ETC ETC ETC wake up if this guy said put your hand in boiling water would you do it SOMETIMES I TREAD TO THINK WHAT OTHERS WILL SUCK UP...

stop drinking nintendo is doomed coolaid THERE IN FEAR OF WIIU THATS WHY THERE SAYING IT they have spent months telling us its weaker than x360 then it was a 1.5 then it was weaker again then it was 4 x then it was back to weaker then it was cpu is weak then its the gpu

the industry hates nintendo please understand this THERES BOOKS WRITEN ON THIS VERY SUBJECT

Edited by silverismoney, 29 June 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#24 wanx80

wanx80

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

We better be able to use pro controller for MOST games.

#25 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

We better be able to use pro controller for MOST games.

erm why would i go silly pony CONTROLLER when i have the two most enhanced controlers on this earth to use wii remote plus and wiiu gamepad sorry im not interested in obsolete silly sony boy 1996 controls unless im 2D gaming il be aiming in core games with a wii remote plus THANK U VERY MUCH has ZERO INTEREST IN A COUGH PRO

#26 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:23 AM

what he means single cpu... 1 core? lol Because if wii U have many cores and threads, that is not an issue..

I must admit I read the comment as meaning 1 primary core that is full featured and perhaps lesser cores around it. If the comment was simply referring to the fact that all the cpu resources are on one piece of silicon and not on 2 pieces for example that is a rather strange comment to be making.

I'm curious to know what people think about these rumours about the true specificaiton of the wii u. Do people believe they are false rumours that are intended to damage the reputation of the wii u or simply snippets of information about the wii u?

I must admit I'm trying to link the rumours together to get a full picture of the wii u but it sounds like many are just dismissing it.

When the rumours came out about the PS3, 360, wii etc as a general rule I would say you could get a fairly good impression of their specification. I remember the original xbox was claimed to have a 300mhz gpu for some time before it was dropped to 233mhz.

Are there any actual rumours for the wii u where someone has stated the console has a specific high performance part?

#27 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

Yes its a strange comment indeed, some people claim that he refers to the GPU instead.. but if someone says "single processor " the most logical translation is the CPU.. not the GPU... If wii U is 2 cores /4 threads.. is going to be very weak even compared with a 360..

As for the GPU.. Iwata said : wii U got modern GPU's, that translates as each controller have its own gpu... wrong? there is also some other leaks saying, that wii U got a strong gpu but a weak cpu... we will see.

Edited by Orion, 30 June 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#28 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

1) Yes. even a "dummy" terminal requires processing power.

2) No. The Wii U has symmetrical cores and that greatly aids in developing for the system. It's also cheaper for IBM to deliver yields this way. The Cell architecture is part of the reason it is difficult to coax truly great performance from the system. Well, that and the gimped 8th SPU which was needed to achieve the performance potential Sony planned for...

The Wii U is also powerful enough to emulate the Wii/GCN without performance issues. However, the Wii CPU is cheaper than reconstituted dirt these days, so it wouldn't be shocking to see it included as is to play Wii games and perform double duty for other purposes (ala PS2 using refined PS chip for backwards compat as well as I/O).

How do you know the wii u has symmetrical cores? Where are you getting your information? The devkit spec had a 3 core cpu design that was stated as having 2megabytes cache for the primary core #1 but only 512meg each for the other 2 cores? Is that standard caching design for a symmetrical cpu? I would of thought if all 3 cores were identical one wouldn't have been given 4x as much cache as the other 2. I'm not convinced, that devkit spec seemed geniune to me and I believe the wii u wil have one stronger primary core cpu and 2 supporting weaker cores. It seems to me likely these may be similar in architecture to the original wii cpu.

To be honest this wouldn't be a bad arrangement anyway. If they went for the most powerful architecture they could get for a single core cpu and then had 2 lesser support cpus this might actually be far more effective than 3x the same weaker cpu.

As it stands for ease of development you can't beat a single core and probably for many wii u games this may be all that is required.

#29 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

How do you know the wii u has symmetrical cores? Where are you getting your information? The devkit spec had a 3 core cpu design that was stated as having 2megabytes cache for the primary core #1 but only 512meg each for the other 2 cores? Is that standard caching design for a symmetrical cpu? I would of thought if all 3 cores were identical one wouldn't have been given 4x as much cache as the other 2. I'm not convinced, that devkit spec seemed geniune to me and I believe the wii u wil have one stronger primary core cpu and 2 supporting weaker cores. It seems to me likely these may be similar in architecture to the original wii cpu.

To be honest this wouldn't be a bad arrangement anyway. If they went for the most powerful architecture they could get for a single core cpu and then had 2 lesser support cpus this might actually be far more effective than 3x the same weaker cpu.

As it stands for ease of development you can't beat a single core and probably for many wii u games this may be all that is required.

You refer to the rumor about the asymmetrical Power PC architecture and the R7xx GPU, correct?

Issues galore with that.

#30 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

erm why would i go silly pony CONTROLLER when i have the two most enhanced controlers on this earth to use wii remote plus and wiiu gamepad sorry im not interested in obsolete silly sony boy 1996 controls unless im 2D gaming il be aiming in core games with a wii remote plus THANK U VERY MUCH has ZERO INTEREST IN A COUGH PRO

wiimotes and nunchucks arnt goingbto get fps games to wii u the gamepad and pro controller i hope everyone dosnt think like u cause the wii u will be a shovelware magnet

#31 andodel

andodel

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Nintendo

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

While I'd like to disagree, I kind of agree on this one. What he's saying is alot of people are going to buy 2 Upad controllers and expect to use them. Something I've been saying for a long time is that not everyone needs a Upad. Devs could very easily put in local MP without utilizing any of the Upads special features. Yet, no one seems to understand this, and they all want Upads so it can be "fair". At the same time though, like this guy said, it won't be easy to have the console stream to 2 pads and the TV. When he says underpowered, he just means its not the powerhouse that would be required to easily stream to multiple pads and the TV. Trust me, the PS360 consoles could probably not even stream to one Upad, so the fact that the U can stream to 2 means its pretty powerful.

Edited by andodel, 30 June 2012 - 05:50 AM.

#32 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

The Wii U has a multi-proccesser.

#33 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Ok here is the some more of that interview. He is talking about a single graphics card. He apparently thinks it need more than one because of the gamepad. This guy deals with investors so no need to get worked up over it.

[a]list: With Nintendo, where do you think they came up short in the way they showed the Wii U?

Dean Takahashi: They have a major issue with the capability of the Wii U console where it has a single processor but it has to drive multiple displays. A single graphics chip inside the console has to drive the big screen, the main game screen, but it also has to provide the imagery for the tablet controller, the game pad. And yet the system itself isn’t that powerful. Nintendo only showed games with one game pad controller and the TV. Most games out there, if you’re in a social setting, you want two controllers. Nintendo didn’t show any games that do that. They admitted in a Q&A that the games are going to run slower if you have two game pads and playing on a main display. That’s a fairly big issue for them. They made a good case that you can play with one controller and multiple Wii controllers, what they call asymmetric gaming where one person is looking at the small tablet screen and trying to deploy zombies while the people playing with the controllers were all on the main screen. You come up with very creative, different kinds of games where it’s one against four, or one person going online. They tried to justify and turn into an advantage this major weakness of the Wii U, but I think a lot of people saw this as a weakness. The games themselves were creative. They tried to do something like Wii Sports with NintendoLand, which has mini-games in it that explore the capabilities of the tablet and the touch screen. But there wasn’t an obvious blockbuster within those games. They may have had a good one in ZombieU, but in the demos it didn’t necessarily play that well. Nintendo came up as a pretty big disappointment at E3.

#34 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

[a]list: With Nintendo, where do you think they came up short in the way they showed the Wii U?
Dean Takahashi: They have a major issue with the capability of the Wii U console where it has a single processor but it has to drive multiple displays. A single graphics chip inside the console has to drive the big screen, the main game screen, but it also has to provide the imagery for the tablet controller, the game pad. And yet the system itself isn’t that powerful. Nintendo only showed games with one game pad controller and the TV. Most games out there, if you’re in a social setting, you want two controllers. Nintendo didn’t show any games that do that. They admitted in a Q&A that the games are going to run slower if you have two game pads and playing on a main display. That’s a fairly big issue for them. They made a good case that you can play with one controller and multiple Wii controllers, what they call asymmetric gaming where one person is looking at the small tablet screen and trying to deploy zombies while the people playing with the controllers were all on the main screen. You come up with very creative, different kinds of games where it’s one against four, or one person going online. They tried to justify and turn into an advantage this major weakness of the Wii U, but I think a lot of people saw this as a weakness. The games themselves were creative. They tried to do something like Wii Sports with NintendoLand, which has mini-games in it that explore the capabilities of the tablet and the touch screen. But there wasn’t an obvious blockbuster within those games. They may have had a good one in ZombieU, but in the demos it didn’t necessarily play that well. Nintendo came up as a pretty big disappointment at E3.

The ATI chip has built in ATI tech for driving multiple displays. Kind of irresponsible for this guy to downplay it to investors of all people.

Also, he notes that the machine isn't that powerful. He is unfortunately incorrect and he also has no idea what's in the system. Irresponsibility strikes again.

He is right that two gamepads take up more resources (duh) and will cause a performance hit. Your game console driving 3 screens? Yeah, that's not a shock. You will be able to use two gamepads. But in the most graphically demanding and impressively visual games, you may not even use the gamepad screen for much beyond menu item selection. that would be normal, OK, and a perfectly acceptable use of the gamepad while showcasing the systems graphics chops.

If having only one tablet controller working is a weakness, then what would he call systems that have ZERO? Again, asinine logic here.

Yet, Nintendo has revamped the console to utilize two gamepads.

Nintendo needed a killer app at E3. they did not deliver. I think they sensed that their AAA titles wouldn't be in show form and the major third party games wouldn't be either. so they went the tried and true Zombie route. Zombies sell and a zombie game is an easy showcase. So Ubisoft trashed Killer Freaks and cobbled together a zombie game from its remains. It's no wonder the game was merely very good looking at E3.

In the end, this individual is jumping the gun and doing so from the wrong end. he has zero facts to offer, zero insight as to the systems potential, and a skewed view on what pros and cons are.

It's his career, so he can do what he wants and deal with the consequences.

Interestingly, some known studios who last year were merely happy with the system have become very excited right before E3, lauding the systems power, graphical capabilities, processor, etc.

Ignore the anti-nintendo sentiment. especially when it comes from someone who has zero info other than what he googled one day over coffee, then got paid to write about it.

It was the same way with the Gamecube, which was a tour de force graphically. So many were calling it the kiddy console, noting the GPU having less transistors, and predicting less powerful graphics. When it came out, it not only stomped the PS2 power wise, it at least held its own against Microsofts fabled Xbox. Media sway is a dirty game. Don't play it.

The Wii U is a powerful, next generation console that is easy to make great and graphically impressive games on. It far exceeds the current consoles in specs and is worthy of the "next generation" tag. we should all enjoy it when it comes out.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 02 July 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#35 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

The Wii U will be multi-core. It has been confirmed. Therefore, the guys argument is invalid.
Posted Image

#36 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

The Wii U will be multi-core. It has been confirmed. Therefore, the guys argument is invalid.

But where does he mention core count?

Posted Image

#37 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

The ATI chip has built in ATI tech for driving multiple displays. Kind of irresponsible for this guy to downplay it to investors of all people.

Also, he notes that the machine isn't that powerful. He is unfortunately incorrect and he also has no idea what's in the system. Irresponsibility strikes again.

He is right that two gamepads take up more resources (duh) and will cause a performance hit. Your game console driving 3 screens? Yeah, that's not a shock. You will be able to use two gamepads. But in the most graphically demanding and impressively visual games, you may not even use the gamepad screen for much beyond menu item selection. that would be normal, OK, and a perfectly acceptable use of the gamepad while showcasing the systems graphics chops.

If having only one tablet controller working is a weakness, then what would he call systems that have ZERO? Again, asinine logic here.

Yet, Nintendo has revamped the console to utilize two gamepads.

Nintendo needed a killer app at E3. they did not deliver. I think they sensed that their AAA titles wouldn't be in show form and the major third party games wouldn't be either. so they went the tried and true Zombie route. Zombies sell and a zombie game is an easy showcase. So Ubisoft trashed Killer Freaks and cobbled together a zombie game from its remains. It's no wonder the game was merely very good looking at E3.

In the end, this individual is jumping the gun and doing so from the wrong end. he has zero facts to offer, zero insight as to the systems potential, and a skewed view on what pros and cons are.

It's his career, so he can do what he wants and deal with the consequences.

Interestingly, some known studios who last year were merely happy with the system have become very excited right before E3, lauding the systems power, graphical capabilities, processor, etc.

Ignore the anti-nintendo sentiment. especially when it comes from someone who has zero info other than what he googled one day over coffee, then got paid to write about it.

It was the same way with the Gamecube, which was a tour de force graphically. So many were calling it the kiddy console, noting the GPU having less transistors, and predicting less powerful graphics. When it came out, it not only stomped the PS2 power wise, it at least held its own against Microsofts fabled Xbox. Media sway is a dirty game. Don't play it.

The Wii U is a powerful, next generation console that is easy to make great and graphically impressive games on. It far exceeds the current consoles in specs and is worthy of the "next generation" tag. we should all enjoy it when it comes out.

That's what I was saying. It doesn't matter to me what this guy says or any other investor. I really don't care what developers are saying about it. I'm buying it. If other people don't then good for them. It's a new system with a new way to play. I'm excited that this hobby of mine will be extended for another decade. People can freak out with every new news about the Wii U but it doesn't bother me. I have a mind of my own and I use it. It don't matter what my friends are playing or what they want. I can make new friends who enjoy it and play it with them or as I always like play the games alone.

A multi-core processor is still a single processor but the guy was talking about the graphics card in the Wii U which he thinks should be two of them either in the system or one in the system and one on the gamepads. As an example an i7 Intel processor is a single processor with multiply cores. Sometimes things don't make sense but it's the truth.

#38 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

deleted because titles are errotic... and i did not read everything everyone said

kai, now i read everything

recap heer
he might of meant gpu or cpu, gpu would be less reasonable than cpu (as the gamepad seems to have one)
this guy hits on 3 things
-there is only one processor - no clear info here, cpu?, gpu?, cores?, space cores c;?
-the system gets issues from controller(s) - a invisible compatability problem was to blame, and he backed it with the bad e3 showoff's (who could'nt), but theres ultimately no info why the wiiu will suffer this way
-zombiu (and everything else) was bad - it was, but this is only because it was a quickly made up game that in any event should'nt of even been showed so early, it should look much better coming out.
he ultimately concludes the wiiu will suffer based on small, biased, made up facts
and hes a stinky willy because of this

the original:

Edited by uh20, 02 July 2012 - 10:35 PM.

:laugh:

#39 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

and hes a stinky willy because of this

Edited by CUD, 03 July 2012 - 07:48 AM.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#40 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

all aboard the video meme train
:laugh: