Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:13 AM

I saw some demo from the Dolphin emulator for pc which uses standard Wii discs but the games look almost hd-isch. I now use a component hd cable on my hd tv but the textures and midels on such a tv really look rubbish. I played Zelda Skyward Sword on a standard tv and enjoyed it pretty much but halfway the tv died and my new tv shows the game rubbishly.

My question, do you think the wiiU will upscale the standard wii games better than the wii does? Dolphin does so why not Ninty's own device? Other than that I find it unconvincing since the games are not made for hd showcasing but dolphin made me uncertain.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#2 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

Nintendo has confirmed no wii upscaling

Posted Image

#3 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

Thanks fo the reply. Thats really a shame :(

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#4 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

That's not upscaling. That is changing the native render resolution which you can with Dolphin.

Upscaling is just changing the res of the game/video into something higher but you still have the same amount of detail.

28gxdv8.png

#5 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

That's not upscaling. That is changing the native render resolution which you can with Dolphin.

Upscaling is just changing the res of the game/video into something higher but you still have the same amount of detail.

Okay...so I mean what discribe in the first sentence. How is it possible that a software emulator can change the native render resolution of a device? If this can be done via software then I sure as hell want it in the WiiU. Would be an excellent fan service.

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Okay...so I mean what discribe in the first sentence. How is it possible that a software emulator can change the native render resolution of a device? If this can be done via software then I sure as hell want it in the WiiU. Would be an excellent fan service.

There is obviously a technical reason why it won't be enabled on the Wii U. In my experience from up scaling on the PS3 and Xbox 360 it's overrated anyway and doesn't make a significant different as the rest of the graphical aspects like textures, detail etc remains the same.

#7 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

There is obviously a technical reason why it won't be enabled on the Wii U. In my experience from up scaling on the PS3 and Xbox 360 it's overrated anyway and doesn't make a significant different as the rest of the graphical aspects like textures, detail etc remains the same.

That's cause again. Upscaling doesn't change the render res. It just make one pixel into four. (An example when 4x the res).

The technical reason is easy, emulation.

Just to emulate a Wii takes a lot of power. To change the render res will make a huge performance impact.

28gxdv8.png

#8 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

The wii u will much improve wii graphics because they will be available from the hdmi port and therefore be a digital signal which most televisions can upscale themselves much better. The standard wii only outputs analogue component which means a modern flat screen television has to digitise the wii display before then upscaling it to show on its panel which is an inferior process.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

The wii u will much improve wii graphics because they will be available from the hdmi port and therefore be a digital signal which most televisions can upscale themselves much better. The standard wii only outputs analogue component which means a modern flat screen television has to digitise the wii display before then upscaling it to show on its panel which is an inferior process.

It will improve image quality.

It wont do a damn thing for the graphics.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

the tech reason is pirasy they will keep wii function seperate and in the future Wii games in HD with added controller support will be on wiiu for download we all know this will happen

#11 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

better rendering, guarantee no lag, perhaps a bit of technical visual improvements.
but an actual redesign of a game to make it look better on the wiiu is not going to happen
:laugh:

#12 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

the wiiu has edram enough to re buffer the wii game to 1080p or at least 720p so the native resolution can be tricked into HD

i think its so they can do re releases on wiiu shop ,like they did re release of gamecube games on disc with wii controls,,then the HD can be remastard to HD better AND THEY MAKE MONEY

added AA would have been nice HERE IS MY TAKE ON WIIU HARDWARE THE CPU WORKS AS A Wii CPU but the gpu doesnt so hollywood and the 1t sram are still there ONLY FOR WII MODE i cvan see this happen

OR there is a custom gpu that has tev etc abilitys and can run wii code as well as custom shaders in wiiu mode outside of shader/stream processors

#13 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

It will improve image quality.

It wont do a damn thing for the graphics.

Well upscaling from a digital source can have reduced aliasing and create better interpolation of pixels with smoother colour shading effect from bright to dark etc but it won't magically add new polygons or textures to the graphics. Its still worth having. You can simulate the same process by connecting a dvd player with both component out and hdmi out to a reasonable quality flat panel tv that has good upscaling circuitry. You just compare dvd output between the 2 for something like cartoons which are more similar to console graphic output or alternatively compare an xbox 360's or ps3 output at 480p by component and hdmi.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

the wiiu has edram enough to re buffer the wii game to 1080p or at least 720p so the native resolution can be tricked into HD

i think its so they can do re releases on wiiu shop ,like they did re release of gamecube games on disc with wii controls,,then the HD can be remastard to HD better AND THEY MAKE MONEY

added AA would have been nice HERE IS MY TAKE ON WIIU HARDWARE THE CPU WORKS AS A Wii CPU but the gpu doesnt so hollywood and the 1t sram are still there ONLY FOR WII MODE i cvan see this happen

OR there is a custom gpu that has tev etc abilitys and can run wii code as well as custom shaders in wiiu mode outside of shader/stream processors

Hopefully all that wont be necessary. The cpu will still be power based, which means power isa, so it should be able to be made compatable with most wii titles fairly easily, this is the big hurdle, and a programmable shader environment shouldnt have too much trouble mimicking any fixed function gpu, (the shaders are, after all, programmable) particularly when its so much more powerful and nintendo actually has all the original api's.

Probably the only reason gc titles are a no go is Nintendos not putting in a more expensive disc loader to load both sizes.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 silverismoney

silverismoney

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hopefully all that wont be necessary. The cpu will still be power based, which means power isa, so it should be able to be made compatable with most wii titles fairly easily, this is the big hurdle, and a programmable shader environment shouldnt have too much trouble mimicking any fixed function gpu, (the shaders are, after all, programmable) particularly when its so much more powerful and nintendo actually has all the original api's.

Probably the only reason gc titles are a no go is Nintendos not putting in a more expensive disc loader to load both sizes.

the cpu will be compatable THATS WHAT I JUST SAID !!!! the tri core is powerpc INFACT its a direct evolution of broadway IT IS ACCEPT IT the hollywood die with 1t sram may still be there reggie said after E3 2011 in a interview the wii chip set is still there WHY DID HE SAY THAT

#16 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Its likely the wii u will feature the complete original wii gpu chipset which is why there is no native upscaling, the gpu output will go straight to the hdmi port. If the wii graphics were actually done on the new gpu its more than likely could have been upscaled but wii compatibility would be massively reduced. The wii u is unlikely to be powerful enough to fully emulate the wii.

I think its been confirmed that the wii u will run gamecube games that you pay for and download. If it turns out these also aren't upscaled then this will really confirm the existance of the original wii gpu being present.

Its highly likely someone will x-ray the wii u chipsets when it comes out revealling much of the specification of the console. Its likely we will see the wii gpu embedded into the main gpu silicon as a secondary sub gpu in the same way that the arm mali gpu is integrated into the pica200 gpu silicon of the 3DS.

#17 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

^this
seems reasonable, i did not know that about the 3ds.
:laugh:

#18 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

New Super Mario Bros Wii and Brawl looks beautiful when played on Dolphin.

#19 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

Dolphin also requires a pretty powerful PC to get it to run at proper framerates.

#20 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Yeeeeah....

So, about those rules concerning the discussion of Grey Zone Material, you know, that section waaaay down at the bottom that goes something like this:

"Discussion of piracy and ways to obtain, create, or play ROM's/ISO's is strictly forbidden."

It doesn't count right. Because it's not in bold, right? So we all cooly safe, right?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!