#21 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

He's obviously not confusing Casual with a Nintendo gamer. He is thinking A non mature gamer. Like if you play Super Mario, Pikmin, and Kirby you are a casual gamer. If you play Metroid, Gears of War, Halo, etc you are a hardcore gamer. That's what he may be thinking, it has nothing to do with Nintendo.

Well I guess that where peoples opinions differ I do not consider a person who plays Mario / Pikmin and Kirby a Casual gamer for me their a normal gamer and it makes no sense what so ever to classify them as such a Casual Gamer is in my honest opinion A Gamer who games on a few minutes a day most commonly on his or her phones ,facebook games and occasional stuff like wii sports in the past. The only way I could see a Casual Gamer picking up pikmin is if they confused it for a farming sim since its a RTS I give you a console RTS but still not a casual ware.

As well from my reading of the article its clear to me my opinion of Casual Gamers is the one this article addressing the now renamed Mobile Phone market which is why I restate my thoughts from my first post that I don't want them back they IMO not sustainable group.

*note you can play Phone games and not be considered a Casual Gamer as well.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 04 September 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#22 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

...I thought the difference between casual and hardcore was time not preferences.

#23 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

...I thought the difference between casual and hardcore was time not preferences.

That's a good observation, Noon.

#24 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Depending on the definition you want to use than yes but that definition has little to do with the article at hand as well as that only the definition of it to try to cause peace but Industry for the most part sees it as preference in games as well as both meaning really mean the same as since if you game Casually you are more likely to part take in IOS /Android games and or quick Time blasters like in the past with Wii Sports note their is always exceptions but exceptions don't make a rule.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 04 September 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#25 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Zero Escape

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

I wish things were that simple, but even so...they hardly matter either way. Nintendo obviously has a genius market strategy that has gotten them this far. They have outlived many other hardware/software developers and its due to the power of their console, their marketing pitches and the audiences they attract. The Wii U is bringing on more 3rd party support to better incorporate the mature audiences.

Some people define those mature audiences as the hardcore gamers. Others believe a core gamer is someone who has submerged themselves in the gaming world for many years and have literally watched the companies grow alongside their childhood. So that begs the question, what really is a core gamer? Can it be both?

I personally have no care for any labels. All I know is that I love Nintendo. Always have, always will and I support their product line and software. Call it what you will =]
Free the pokemon!

"I cannot see the future yet... The world is still to be determined..."

#26 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

I wish things were that simple, but even so...they hardly matter either way. Nintendo obviously has a genius market strategy that has gotten them this far. They have outlived many other hardware/software developers and its due to the power of their console, their marketing pitches and the audiences they attract. The Wii U is bringing on more 3rd party support to better incorporate the mature audiences.

Some people define those mature audiences as the hardcore gamers. Others believe a core gamer is someone who has submerged themselves in the gaming world for many years and have literally watched the companies grow alongside their childhood. So that begs the question, what really is a core gamer? Can it be both?

I personally have no care for any labels. All I know is that I love Nintendo. Always have, always will and I support their product line and software. Call it what you will =]

Yes they can be both since they are not mutually exclusive even though my preference for Hardcore gamer is the latter.
But their isn't really a need to discuss in this Topic what is Hardcore gamer or Casual since given the contex clues of the articles in clear that they are referring to the IOS crowd type.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 04 September 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#27 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Depending on the definition you want to use than yes but that definition has little to do with the article at hand as well as that only the definition of it to try to cause peace but Industry for the most part sees it as preference in games as well as both meaning really mean the same as since if you game Casually you are more likely to part take in IOS /Android games and or quick Time blasters like in the past with Wii Sports note their is always exceptions but exceptions don't make a rule.

The time one invests in something can really determine preference. You would never see a "casual gamer" invest 8+ hours a week on gaming (spare hours that is, as even hardcore gamers have priorities). Why? That's what defines a casual gamer by technical definition. The reason this defines the casual market is because this covers a myriad of other things, and usually spawns into what kinds of games sell. Just Dance, for example, doesn't require a lengthy playtime, hence would appeal to what a "casual" gamer is. iOS games also fall into this field. (Though, if you play 8+ hours a week on iOS games.. they would be considered a hardcore gamer.. a hardcore iOS gamer, but a hardcore gamer nonetheless). I only say this because personal definitions of the word is being thrown around is all.

That being said, I agree that the article is generalizing iOS gamers as casual gamers. I already stated that the tablet like qualities for the Wii U is a definite mass appeal and I don't think it'll have trouble selling at all whatsoever. (I agree with the article completely in that aspect) And that I also hope Nintendo continues to appeal (and attempt to appeal) to the blue ocean mass. Whooop whoooop. Sorry for making you read that useless rant.

#28 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

I liked the article until they called the GameCube controller odd and compared it to a dualshocks controller... Shame On him!

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#29 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

The time one invests in something can really determine preference. You would never see a "casual gamer" invest 8+ hours a week on gaming (spare hours that is, as even hardcore gamers have priorities). Why? That's what defines a casual gamer by technical definition. The reason this defines the casual market is because this covers a myriad of other things, and usually spawns into what kinds of games sell. Just Dance, for example, doesn't require a lengthy playtime, hence would appeal to what a "casual" gamer is. iOS games also fall into this field. (Though, if you play 8+ hours a week on iOS games.. they would be considered a hardcore gamer.. a hardcore iOS gamer, but a hardcore gamer nonetheless). I only say this because personal definitions of the word is being thrown around is all.

That being said, I agree that the article is generalizing iOS gamers as casual gamers. I already stated that the tablet like qualities for the Wii U is a definite mass appeal and I don't think it'll have trouble selling at all whatsoever. (I agree with the article completely in that aspect) And that I also hope Nintendo continues to appeal (and attempt to appeal) to the blue ocean mass. Whooop whoooop. Sorry for making you read that useless rant.

I feel when dealing with the Casual Gamers that switched from wii sports and etc to the IOS market Nintendo will have a hard time recapturing them as unlike the wii which was this for the most part amazing thing never done before(remember I said for the the most part I know a person will mention the eye toy) to the wiiu market since they will see its main feature as the tablet controller which is nothing new to them as they will have a tablet already and or a phone and they are not really into the full price titles so the wiiu will give them little over their phones if not less.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 04 September 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#30 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

I feel when dealing with the Casual Gamers that switched from wii sports and etc to the IOS market Nintendo will have a hard time recapturing them as unlike the wii which was this for the most part amazing thing never done before(remember I said for the the most part I know a person will mention the eye toy) to the wiiu market since they will see its main feature as the tablet controller which is nothing new to them as they will have a tablet already and or a phone and they are not really into the full price titles so the wiiu will give them little over their phones if not less.

I'm not so sure about that.. People own smartphones, iPod touches and tablets.. all in which sound the same in theory yet sell so well. Same theoretical functionality, different marketing points. I feel that might work for Nintendo. And if that's not the case, then there's the idea that newer games that sold on the Wii will be made for the WiiU. People might carry over for that reason alone.

#31 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

I liked the article until they called the GameCube controller odd and compared it to a dualshocks controller... Shame On him!

Who cares? Let's worry about important things like kids starving in Africa.

#32 samus

samus

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Fandom:
    nintendo

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

i agree with dUstin

#33 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Who cares? Let's worry about important things like kids starving in Africa.

...but... wat :| That was random.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!