Photo

Why would a graphical leap be a bad move for MS and Sony?

Sony Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

It's fine to love Nintendo. but hating Sony is simply necessary.

I recommend keeping ur Sony hate concealed
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#22 Shadiwulf

Shadiwulf

Shy Guy

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

It's fine to love Nintendo. but hating Sony is simply necessary.

Tell that to these guys -_-

#23 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Eek, can we not trollishy bash other companies? Ew.

Any who, I think a graphic leap would be bad for Sony, simply because they can't afford it. Maybe something that matches Nintendo or a little greater, but really, they are being slaughtered at the moment (entire company, not just it's gaming subsidiary). Microsoft, on the other hand, why not?

#24 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

Eek, can we not trollishy bash other companies? Ew.

Any who, I think a graphic leap would be bad for Sony, simply because they can't afford it. Maybe something that matches Nintendo or a little greater, but really, they are being slaughtered at the moment (entire company, not just it's gaming subsidiary). Microsoft, on the other hand, why not?

I beg to differ, technologies have changed drastically since this gen started, we are now coming to a point where energy efficiency is vital to GPU manufacturers, these current GPUs on the market, have never been so power efficient, so much so that the GTX 670 and 660ti in their reference designs are half length PCBs.

Not only that but engines are becoming efficient too, were as before it would require many people to program certain things in a game, but now these new engines do a lot of the work for developers and can reduce the number of developers needed and the time spent.

So if we take these points, into consideration this next gen may not be as expensive as this gen was for developers and consumers. The fact of the matter is, technology is moving forward and by the time the next gen debuts it will be a massive leap from which ever perspective you look at it. Current GTX 660Ti costs around $299, now that's retail price, wholesale and direct relations with GPU manufacturers could infact cause that price to be significantly cheaper.

Both sony and Microsoft are more than capable of affording it. Laptops rival consoles interms of raw performance and that Windows 8 and RT tablets can run a full UE3 engine benchmark at native resolution (Windows 8 and RT tablet have to have a minimum resolution of 1366X768) thats higher than most console games and still runs at around 35-40fps. This is on a Windows RT tablet using Tegra 3, an arm based chip, not x86 or high end gaming graphics chips.

http://www.joystiq.c...and-windows-rt/

If they can afford make such tablets with tegra 3 processors (that don't require fans) than they (Sony and MS) are more than capable of making a console that will can render graphics similar to that of starwars 1313 at an affordable price point, because the technology is now cheap enough for them to do it. They won't be $299 unless it's a loss but they maybe $349 or $399, which of course many consumer (price concious consumers) spend on a tablet so I don't get why gamers wouldn't believe $349 for a console would be viable.

So I don't think it will be a bad move, it's just the normal evolution process of hardware that occurs over time.

This line is probably my 4th edit, another point I want to make is that I wish they do have console that have this graphical leap because in a year or two when the systems launch, if there isn't a major leap then to general consumers their ARM tablets will provide a gaming experience with similar visuals. We'll be at a stand still because mobile technology would have caught up with the mass market product. Gaming PCs will still advancly be superior but that's a more of a niche than console gaming.

Edited by Usman Mohammad, 12 September 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#25 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

A bunch of text was here.

I agree that technology is becoming a lot cheaper, now more than ever. But the issue at hand has nothing to do with this fact, but how Sony is getting hit really hard as of late. Sony is known for wanting to be the best, getting the best of the best (via PS3 and PSVita, made during this time). They even stating that they dismiss price if it means outstanding performance. I can't see Sony settling for this, as it would be out of the norm. When I stated that comment, I had this logic in mind. Sony can't afford this logic whatsoever. Microsoft on the other hand, can afford to do what Sony usually does (though would most likely go the route in which you are entailing).

Your comment is a nice reminder for everyone though on the upcoming price announcement. Do you think we should fear a high price? (Out of curiosity)

#26 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

I agree that technology is becoming a lot cheaper, now more than ever. But the issue at hand has nothing to do with this fact, but how Sony is getting hit really hard as of late. Sony is known for wanting to be the best, getting the best of the best (via PS3 and PSVita, made during this time). They even stating that they dismiss price if it means outstanding performance. I can't see Sony settling for this, as it would be out of the norm. When I stated that comment, I had this logic in mind. Sony can't afford this logic whatsoever. Microsoft on the other hand, can afford to do what Sony usually does (though would most likely go the route in which you are entailing).

Your comment is a nice reminder for everyone though on the upcoming price announcement. Do you think we should fear a high price? (Out of curiosity)

Nintendo's price will be affordable. There's no way they're going to make another 3DS type of initial pricing error this time around.
They're going to push these babies at a low price so they can sell a lot. between $250 and $299 are the rumors, and I believe that's about right.

P.S. Sony is far from broke. They may not be winning the console wars, but they're a huge company, ranging in all kinds of tech out side of videogames... They have $$$.
If they want, they'll put another insane amount of money into the PS4's tech, but again, that's fine. It's supposed to be this way (tech advancements), otherwise this industry would suck butt.

#27 Jp27

Jp27

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Sony is the only other company i like out of the big three
Posted Image
Dat awesome person

#28 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Nintendo's price will be affordable. There's no way they're going to make another 3DS type of initial pricing error this time around.
They're going to push these babies at a low price so they can sell a lot. between $250 and $299 are the rumors, and I believe that's about right.

P.S. Sony is far from broke. They may not be winning the console wars, but they're a huge company, ranging in all kinds of tech out side of videogames... They have $$$.
If they want, they'll put another insane amount of money into the PS4's tech, but again, that's fine. It's supposed to be this way (tech advancements), otherwise this industry would suck butt.

Actually, sue to the influx of sells from Samsung and LG in the TV, cell phone and home studio lines, Sony has been suffering. I've mentioned before that Sony has been having issues from more than just their gaming subsidiary, the whole company is suffering. Although, their camera line seems to be helping them pick up~ Maybe they can get back those 10,000 employees they fired... ; o ;

#29 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

We still don't know what GPU is. If it's still using a R700 GPU then I dont see why it can't be $299, these now retail around £100 mark but again it's old technology AMD can afford to sell it a significantly lower price because they know how to get the right amount of yeilds so it isn't a hard thing to do as it's old tech.

Bear in mind if it is an R700, it's outdated, like ridiculously outdated, the funny thing is that a 6870 has better performance and I believe it's well cheaper than £100 which is surprising, though thats mainly because 4870 used to be the high end card. So if it similar to a 4870 then we're talking around low end to midrange GPU, like a 7670 or 7650 ish in performance I believe.

Which isn't really that amazing compared to mid high end hardware right now (best price to performance, you get the post performance per money unit (ie 1 dollar gets you this many frames).

Pricing I am no way sure about. If the GPU hasn't changed then yh I can totally see it at $249 or $299.

That doesn't mean if the gpu changed the price would increase, Im just assuming from consumer retail prices and deducting how much it would be discounted.

Though it's a safe bet if the GPU was R700 it would be $250 or $299. because it can be the low, the costs of the parts. thats not to say a better GPU couldn't make it into the same price bracket.

So in short, no idea we'll just have to wait and see. Also what ever the japanese price is, divide it by 100 and you get the price in dollars. 25,000 yen was the Wii and 3DS, prices in US were $250, even though at 3DS time, $25,000 yen got you $300 dollars. Also it's the same price in Euros and for pounds you usually take the US price and times it by roughly 0.8 or 0.9

Edited by Usman Mohammad, 12 September 2012 - 02:10 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!