BananaCheese

Darknut Dominator

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • NNID:Awesomesocks
  • Fandom:
    Zelda and Animal Crossing

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

I don't think so, because it is a next gen. console I don't think Nintendo would include gamecube compatibility. But if it did it would be a better console altogether (in my opinion). I might be wrong but it's unlikely. What do you think?

Nintendo_Logo-600x200.png 

Nintendo Network ID: Awesomesocks | Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032-1712-2862

PM me if you add me on any of the above.

#2 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

It wont be backwards compatible with gamecube games, or controllers. But there is a strong possibility of them being on Virtual Console.

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#3 Nintendustin

Nintendustin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

It wont be backwards compatible with gamecube games, or controllers. But there is a strong possibility of them being on Virtual Console.

...and that is good enough for me.

#4 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

I'm hoping they have an HD classics selection on the Ushop. Though it's unlikely at this point.

#5 Jp27

Jp27

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

they better have Gamecube games on the Ushop or watever Posted Image
Posted Image
Dat awesome person

#6 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Personally I'm just going to plug my Gamecube back in.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#7 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I don't know many systems who support backwards compatibility two generations before it (except the Advance/SP)... *finger crossing for Virtual Console*

#8 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

It doesn't have gamecube controller or memory ports and the optical drive doesn't support the gamecube mini discs but the actual hardware chipset is likely to support gamecube as it supports wii games. So its gamecube compatible but you will have to pay for them as downloads because you can't not load from discs or use normal gamecube controllers.

I'm not going to pay again for the games I have instead I'm going to just keep a wii. They are worth practically nothing secondhand now anyway.

#9 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:31 AM

It doesn't have gamecube controller or memory ports and the optical drive doesn't support the gamecube mini discs but the actual hardware chipset is likely to support gamecube as it supports wii games. So its gamecube compatible but you will have to pay for them as downloads because you can't not load from discs or use normal gamecube controllers.

I'm not going to pay again for the games I have instead I'm going to just keep a wii. They are worth practically nothing secondhand now anyway.

I don't think it's safe to assume just because it supports Wii games it will also automatically support GameCube games. If I recall correctly the Wii actually had GameCube hardware in it and that's why whenever you played GameCube games on it the Wii functionality was disabled. I'm happy to be proved wrong though. I suspect GameCube games would need to be played through emulation and that may or may not be possible.

#10 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

The main reason I believe GameCube compatibility was dropped is due to disk size. In order to play GameCube games, the Wii had to have a specialized disk drive capable of taking both the Wii's average sized disks, and the GameCube's minidisks. I think I read somewhere that the disk drive was actually was actually the most expensive part of the Wii. Since there isn't really all that much difference between GameCube and Wii hardware and disks (other than size), than the Wii U should theoretically be capable of reading the disks if it wasn't for their size.
Posted Image

#11 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

Really hoping for Gamecube games on eShop.
(Or HD-remasters in store)

Edited by LaserSWE, 16 September 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#12 DeviousOne

DeviousOne

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

It will not.
Posted Image

#13 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

I hope GC games wind up on the WiiU eShop. That would be amazing. I would probably buy more GC games than WiiU games. I also hope they upscale them to HD resolution, that would be really nice too.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#14 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I plan to trade my brother-in-laws gamecube for my old wii. That'll be a good deal for him & me. I have a few great games on game cube ie Zelda collectors edition, wind waker, etc that I'd like to keep for my collection.
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

The wii u will be able to run downloadable gamecube games very easily. Its just a matter of Nintendo changing the controls to suit the gamepad rather than gamecube controller. The only issue may be it won't upscale them just like it won't for wii games.

#16 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

I hope GC games wind up on the WiiU eShop. That would be amazing. I would probably buy more GC games than WiiU games. I also hope they upscale them to HD resolution, that would be really nice too.

Agreed. HD rendering would be great.. I wonder what the prices would look like if they did this though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!