Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

POPULAR

"It’s a powerful, versatile machine and fairly painless to code for."

"Certainly it’s different by design to the PS3 and 360 but pound for pound it compares very favorably."

"Mass Effect 3 will run at 720p, hardware upscaled to 1080p. It’s the same resolution as the original versions on PS3 and 360."

full Interview here:

http://www.vooks.net/5-minutes-with-tom-crago-from-straight-right-on-mass-effect-wii-u/
Posted Image

#2 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

It worries me so much that everyone compares it to current gen consoles.

So.
Very.
Discouraging.
No sig.

#3 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

So.
Very.
Discouraging.

That quote was more so comparing developing for the system versus the ps3 and 360
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#4 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'm not sure if I should take that quote as good or bad . They say its powerful but than say it will be in 720p (we already knew that though lol) but than says it compares to ps3 and 360 favorably which doesn't sound good to me even though its a word with a positive meaning .

#5 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm not sure if I should take that quote as good or bad . They say its powerful but than say it will be in 720p (we already knew that though lol) but than says it compares to ps3 and 360 favorably which doesn't sound good to me even though its a word with a positive meaning .

you know nintendo made the dev kit so that it would be easy to poart ps3 and xbox games over right?

wa3Nq7j.png

#6 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

it talks about how easy its to develop for the wii u comparing to the current gen HD not comparing power, about power it only says "its powerful"

Edited by Stormage09, 20 October 2012 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image

#7 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

you know nintendo made the dev kit so that it would be easy to poart ps3 and xbox games over right?

I know (well I guess I really can't say I know since I am not sure if that is true because they was never any confirmation on that matter and the fact that ME3 Dev talked about how developing for the wii u is different than the 360 and ps3 and Its sounds even though the system itself is easy to developer for Porting is not that simple .)

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 20 October 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#8 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Mass Effect 3 on PC didn't have real 1080p. Game looks worse than ME2. Textures, look blurry. So game was designed to work in 720p, there is NO GAIN if this game had native 1080p. So do not worry, Mass Effect 3 is not the best game that can show full potential of Wii U.

Here is video proof:

Here is the game that is designed for 1080p, and difference is huge between PC vs Console versions of the game:

Edited by dragomix, 20 October 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#9 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

^EA sucks at making PC games the only one that's good is Battlefield 3.

^^I MEAN GRAPHICALLY

#10 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

So.
Very.
Discouraging.

but then again , its the only next gen console being talked about when they have xbox 720 kits at hand. so thats a great sign! its not even comparable to current gen its just the only thing from competing companies to compare it to.

Signature_Fox.png

#11 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

So Upscaled to 1080p?

And I wonder if Straight Right managed to bump it to 60 fps?

And uh, yeah, DUH! It's powerful! Haha
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#12 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

they said it's different because of the architecture , and its power is completely different , but nintendo wanted it to be easy for devs to get a head start on the next gen with the wii u which is what they are doing and why wii u is regarded as the next gen 360 in terms of third party support.

its 720 upscaled to 1080 because thats what the other versions ran at. it says in the article. its just the way the game was meant to be run, they arent going to take the time to change it.

Edited by hardcoreUfan, 20 October 2012 - 03:06 PM.

Signature_Fox.png

#13 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

^EA sucks at making PC games the only one that's good is Battlefield 3.

^^I MEAN GRAPHICALLY

Look, if you want to make your game look good on a PC, than you need HD textures (Xbox 360 and PS3 are not capable for them), DX11 effects (i sad effects, not DX11, I NOW M$ can only use DX, so that comes out of the question for next gen consoles) etc. For all that you need to invest some more money into your game, EA doesn't want that! They want to invest minimal amount of cash, and get maximal amount of profits. So PC usually gets lazy ports, just like Wii U now.

Edited by dragomix, 20 October 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#14 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Look, if you want to make your game look good on a PC, than you need HD textures (Xbox 360 and PS3 are not capable for them), DX11 effects (i sad effects, not DX11, I NOW M$ can only use DX, so that comes out of the question for next gen consoles) etc. For all that you need to invest some more money into your game, EA doesn't want that! They want to invest minimal amount of cash, and get maximal amount of profits. So PC usually gets lazy ports, just like Wii U now.

Yup

E6760 means DirectX 11 Capable effects and other AMAZING NEXT GEN features
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#15 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Yup

which wii u has lol

Signature_Fox.png

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

No they didnt. The only way to do that would be to make a system either stupid powerful, so it can plow through any code without any optimization effort, or to design a system similar in design to ps360, ie a high clocked flop monster good plowing through simd loops but sucking at everything else.

The wii u is plenty powerful, but if you try to run straight ps360 optimized code, you run into problems like the tekken anddynasty warriors devs ran into.

But what these guys are talking about, when they say it compares favourably to the ps360 is the programming environment, which craps all over ps360's horrible environment.

ps360 were complete garbage, in order processors, with crap branch prediction bled performance like a stuck pig. Developers complained about the 360 constantly all the way up until they got their hands onvthe wii.

The ps360 had an in order processor, so if it got hung up on an instruction and couldnt complete it, the entire cycle was wasted, the system just waited for the next cycle, and no other instructions are performed. On top of this, the combination of the system being deep pipelined and having a crap branch predictor meant the penalty for missing a branch was a ridiculous 500 cycle penalty. Yeah, everytime a prediction was missed, the system lost 1/6th of its power, and yeah, the penalties can stack.

The wii u, is out of order, if an instruction cant be finished that cycle, its put on tge back burner, and a bunch of other instructions are compketed, until the new cycle comes and the instruction can be finished. Also, if wii u's cpu has ibm's unique high density edram, which iwata said it did, its likely using that fantastic bandwidth to run p7's amazing branch predictor, which actually has a missed branch contingincy, and can actually eat one missed branch a cycle with no penalty, and should it miss again and incur a penalty, its a fraction of the ps360 ridiculpus penalty AND other instructions can be done in the meantime because its an out of order processor.

This is what they mean when they say it compares favourably to ps360. Its straightforward, it does what its supposed to, you dont have to send your code in on a unicycle, juggling, while doing backflips to avoid the processor crapping all over itself.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Yup

Do you know witch feature is most important that DX11 introduced? Direct compute, for GPGPU support (Wii U has GPGPU, witch one we dont know, but E6760 seams most likely). This API allows GPU to process some of the game code previously intended for CPU to run on GPU with much more efficiency. GPU takes tasks such as AI and physics.

All games that are coming to Wii U now are not made for GPGPU, they still use old code for old architecture. Mass Effect 3 is just one of those games.

Edited by dragomix, 20 October 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#18 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

the fanboys are powerful creatures, i saw some time time ago in the xbox thread on gaf a source claiming that the next xbox will have 8gb of ram, a GPU with 4,5 TFLOPS while the ps4 only 4 gb of ram and a less powerful gpu... and thats only because apparently nintendo was using a7000 series gpu and "forced them" to be more powerful hahaha, so much fun

Edited by Stormage09, 20 October 2012 - 09:29 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Do you know witch feature is most important that DX11 introduced? Direct compute, for GPGPU support (Wii U has GPGPU, witch one we dont know, but E6760 seams most likely). This API allows GPU to process some of the game code previously intended for CPU to run on GPU with much more efficiency. GPU takes tasks such as AI and physics.

All games that are coming to Wii U now are not made for GPGPU, they still use old code for old architecture. Mass Effect 3 is just one of those games.

Sounds believable. Although I'm not sure. Good job at making sense. :)

Posted Image

#20 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

More good news that the haters will 'conveniently' sweep under the rug.

Mass Effect 3 on PC didn't have real 1080p. Game looks worse than ME2. Textures, look blurry.

Good to know I wasn't the only one who noticed this.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!