Photo

Will Games Boot Directly from External Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Terraquven

Terraquven

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

Has any more info been revealed on whether Wii U Games will boot directly from an External Hard Drive? Also is this a good hard drive to use for Wii U: Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

#2 Zonark

Zonark

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

I would assume so because its digitally signed to the console. Probably have to have internet on for sure

#3 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

I should hope so, I don't like playing off the disc, it wears the lazer out quicker, When I had a 360 all my games were installed.

#4 Terraquven

Terraquven

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

The reason I want to go digital is because in the past I had the habbit of playing a game, selling the game after beating it, regretting that I sold it because I want to play it again a year later and finally buying the game again! This will ensure that once I buy the game I keep it and then I will not be tempted to buy the game then sell it again. Also like the point UnchainedGoku brought up.

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

they will, much like sd cards and 3ds games.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

I should hope so, I don't like playing off the disc, it wears the lazer out quicker, When I had a 360 all my games were installed.

You're assuming that Wii U games bought on disc at retail will be installable on the internal storage or an external hard drive. That hasn't been stated or confirmed by Nintendo to my knowledge. I doubt they will be.

#7 deerang

deerang

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

It's likely that if there is an option to install to HD you will still need the disk to be in the machine. Already been revealed that you cannot just transfer your Wii games via SD card, you can only transfer once.

I'm guessing any HD you use will be formatted in a specific way to avoid piracy ( ie locked to your machine ).

But so far HD is the only real option when you can only add 32gb from SD cards.

#8 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Has any more info been revealed on whether Wii U Games will boot directly from an External Hard Drive? Also is this a good hard drive to use for Wii U: Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

I hope so, I swear that's the same one I got the guy at best buy said it should work I hope it does.

#9 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Well, you can read games off the sd card with the Wii, so I think they will dk that with the WiiU

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#10 Spleenzorio

Spleenzorio

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Can you use the same external drive between your Wii U and PC files?
Posted Image

Nintendo ID: Spleenzorio

#11 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

didn't i read somethere that the games discs were 25GB? the actual game size 22GB? ..that'd eat up some serious storage

#12 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

didn't i read somethere that the games discs were 25GB? the actual game size 22GB? ..that'd eat up some serious storage

Well if you we're to use an external hard drive several terabytes in size that wouldn't be a problem. A three Terrabyte hard drive could potentially hold over a hundred games. This is assuming you can download and store games on it.

#13 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

True...I'm thinking though, with the 32GB being the biggest HDD they do, will they allow ripping if the games to the HDD..never mind EXTHDDs. I know PS3 don't allow it.

Have Nintendo said you can download the full games? Or will they be mini games?

I'm just gunna shut up actually as I don't know much about Nintendo..lol

#14 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

True...I'm thinking though, with the 32GB being the biggest HDD they do, will they allow ripping if the games to the HDD..never mind EXTHDDs. I know PS3 don't allow it.

Be aware that the 32GB of storage memory is on a flash medium rather than a Hard Drive Disk.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#15 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

Firstly I was referring to digital downloads and yes Nintendo has said that retail games will be downloadable.

Secondly Microsoft do allow you to install retail disc games on the internal hard drive but the game disc still has to be in the drive so its not really that practical except for reducing load times.

#16 flowerlandfilms

flowerlandfilms

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hard Drive yes, SD Card no.

http://mynintendonew...ved-to-sd-card/

#17 Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I wish they would have bumped up their hard drive size to at least 100GB for launch day Wii Us. They might have done that for a homebrew prevention.

#18 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I think that hard drive will do fine, however i do not know if games will boot directly from it

wjapt2.jpg

#19 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Can you use the same external drive between your Wii U and PC files?

Probably not.

Posted Image

#20 Spleenzorio

Spleenzorio

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

Probably not.

LIAR! You can if you partition the drive. Only I didn't know that when I first asked.
Posted Image

Nintendo ID: Spleenzorio

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!