GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

*************WARNING**************** this is all speculation and me just playing devils advocate due to all the negative news as of late with Wii U specs.

its way too many years late to find articles or maybe im just lazy.... but there were rumors of a differnt Wii launching back in 2006. Nintendo was touting the Wii specs back in 2005 and the Original Wii was suppose to be more powerful than the Xbox 360. then because of a philosophy change nintendo went with tha gamecube 1.5 which was the Wii we got with motion controls. Nintendo is known for with partnering with IBM on making CPU's just like the CPU in the gamecube. what if nintendo having invested so much money in making those ORIGINAL mulitcore CPU for Wii tht they choose to stick with them for Wii U. that would show why they didnt upgrade the CPU and only a modern GPU. because based on the CPU from 2005 it would have been serviceable.

thoughts????

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Did you want a reply?

#3 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

thoughts?

#4 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

The architecture for the current Wii U CPU didn't exist then. though no doubt, some of the lessons learned from having to squeeze every last drop of performance from a chip were carried into the new design.

And the Wii was always going to be what it was. The Gamecube tanked, despite its mighty hardware and Nintendo had to find a way to climb back into the game.

At the time, they couldn't risk losing money on hardware like sony and MS did (due to poor market position and the lack of funds that a hot console provides), so they couldn't compete on a pure power basis. What they did was find a novel way to return to form while catering to a new market. And they succeeded beyond anyone's expectations.

That's what allowed them to do what they have now. They want the best of both worlds. Power (though likely not as much as the PS4, next Xbox, but not far removed either) and innovative control. and they have it. they are of course selling at a loss since the system is pretty packed with goods.

The CPU is not weak, horrible, or slow. It is in fact more capable than current console CPUs. by itself.

the clock speed is less than the current systems. But that's where the complaints come in from lazy developers looking for a quick buck. they try to quickly port their heavily optimized game to Wii U and it turns out more time and money is needed to rewrite the code to make use of superior architecture. The code written to perform a few tasks for many cycles must be rewritten to perform many tasks during fewer cycles.

When the word "slower" is used, its a misnomer. It can actually do more in the same amount of time. But pure clock speed is referenced. However, if your code relies on cycles and not written well for the architecture it's running on, you are going to have issues. No doubt 4A games saw the hassle and couldn't justify the expenditure to make a worthwhile port of their game to a new console Made by Nintendo after the Wii. Probably taking the wait and see approach. And if you aren't backed by a rich parent company or something, who can blame you. IF sales aren't spectacular on the old systems and the port to new architecture is costly, then that's a financial risk that is hard to stomach. you always have to prepare for the worst. No doubt an increase of clock speed on the Wii U CPU would have resolved this for them, since they wouldn't have to change much. But it is what it is. And it doesn't actually reflect on the "horribleness" of the CPU. It is simply horrible for their situation. Until they decide to wake up and realize that time and effort often goes rewarded. I can see them wanting in on the action in a year.

The Tekken Tag developer was misquoted. and he simply meant that clock speed was less. So they had to rewrite some things to... you know... actually work properly with new architecture.

Beyond that, the studios that are taking the time to at least tweak their code are being rewarded handsomely.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 20 November 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#5 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

1. The Wii's CPU is a bit poor-performing. If the clock speed is simiar, performance will be lousy. So I hope your theory isn't correct. :)

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the Wii's CPU is multi-core.

#6 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

1. The Wii's CPU is a bit poor-performing. If the clock speed is simiar, performance will be lousy. So I hope your theory isn't correct. :)

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the Wii's CPU is multi-core.

no Wii CPU isnt... but the original Wii that nintendo was touting to developerss was more powerful than 360. its specs were much higher. im going to do some looking and see if i can find a link for them.

http://www.engadget....n-specs-leaked/

ok here is one link i found. you have to search under revolution the code name

http://arstechnica.c...2005/09/5344-2/

another one

#7 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Hmm. Interesting.. what if the Wii was actually more powerful than the Xbox 360?

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#8 Bunkei

Bunkei

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Also, couldn't the argument be made that in a sense, the Wii U will benefit greatly when Sony and Microsoft launch their consoles? Most likely, they will share very similar architecture shared through IBM, taking less time to make multiplatform titles. Again, I'm no software developer, just using common sense ...

#9 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Also, couldn't the argument be made that in a sense, the Wii U will benefit greatly when Sony and Microsoft launch their consoles? Most likely, they will share very similar architecture shared through IBM, taking less time to make multiplatform titles. Again, I'm no software developer, just using common sense ...

Those consoles are going x86 and x86/ARM.

It's going to be interesting.

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

This is a bit of a wierd one, I'd have loved to have seen how the original Wii would have turned out if it was stronger than the 360 and PS3, people would still talk crap about it though, Nintendo are the fathers of gaming and considering that some people are just damn rude.

#11 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

This is a bit of a wierd one, I'd have loved to have seen how the original Wii would have turned out if it was stronger than the 360 and PS3, people would still talk crap about it though, Nintendo are the fathers of gaming and considering that some people are just damn rude.

Would have been nice to see

#12 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

All the immature complaining on this site is making me sick. All people here do is buy into bad reviews. The GPU bull is by far the most annoying. The speed of my Wii U is just fine! Just because one stat may be low doesn't mean that everyone should start casting stones. This is the bit wars of the 90s all over again Really who the hell can trust sources like IGN and The Verge. If you hate Wii U than this shouldnt be your site.

Signature_DK.png

#13 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Sorry, I think I misunderstood some of the OP's original points.

#14 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Sorry, I think I misunderstood some of the OP's original points.

Its okay PH. I'm just stressed out with all the negativity.

not from you though

Signature_DK.png

#15 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

I wouldn't call it negativity though, we're just being critical and truthful.

#16 TomBollandLTD

TomBollandLTD

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokémon Mario Link

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

not from you though

Yeah, this actually seems like the most grown up discussion of specs and such on the entire website to be honest. We're talking about the negatives, but talking about how these "negatives" could be positives in the future/if devs weren't lazy :P
3DS Friend Code: 0087-2466-1970
NNID : TomBollandLTD

need. more. online. games.

#17 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

I wouldn't call it negativity though, we're just being critical and truthful.

I was being truthful too when I said the Wii U aint as slow as people are saying because I have had no problems with speed so far.

Signature_DK.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!