Photo

Playing original Wii games on the Wii U second screen.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sparkerzzzz

sparkerzzzz

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

Is this possible?

#2 Vicke

Vicke

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Good question!

I have no idea. I guess it depends on if the games have to be optimized for it, or if it just acts like a screen.

#3 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

Not at this time. But it may be possible in the future with an update.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

No.
And it's impossible.
Wii mode is locked out from Wii U hardware and software.
Stop asking this.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

No.
And it's impossible.
Stop asking this.

This.

*locks thread with non-mod powers*

#6 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

No.
And it's impossible.
Stop asking this.

Why is it impossible to just choose the output for the video on the gamepad and the ir sensor on the gamepad as ir?

I think it is very possible through an update.

28gxdv8.png

#7 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

As a software engineer I can tell you it's not impossible by any stretch of the imagination, and the decision to not allow us to play Wii games on the GamePad likely comes from a financial and marketing perspective. I can't see any Nintendo engineers being actively against such functionality.. in my experience it's likely not an engineer's/developer's decision, but a decision from executives/higher ups.

Now, as for actually getting it done outside of Nintendo's official stamp... yes it's possible though it depends on if someone, or a group of people, dedicates enough time to hacking into the Wii U system and getting it to support homebrew apps. The system has been out less than a week, I'm sure the Wii U will inevitably get some support from the wii homebrew community. Once there's people who manage to hack into the Wii U, it's only a matter of time before the signal to the GamePad is reverse engineered. Figuring out if it's encrypted, and decrypting the signal and message, may take a while - and that goes without mentioning figuring out how the communication stream works and should be formatted. It's not just presentation layers (video and audio) being sent in a stream wirelessly, there's also the interaction layers (input/output) stream.

To put it a little simpler: hack the Wii U so they can mess with the low level code, figure out how they can load homebrew apps onto the Wii U, decipher the GamePad's signal(s), create a basic homebrew app that can communicate with the GamePad (send and receive data in both directions), and once all that's done they can do something useful such as make the homebrew app read a list of ROM off your SD card and let you load it up play the game directly on your GamePad.

This would be a lot of work for someone outside of Nintendo, and it's not something I envision Nintendo supporting in the near future. Let me rephrase actually - I don't see Nintendo offering the functionality to play Wii games directly on the GamePad anytime soon (if ever), but I can't see any reason Nintendo wouldn't make a Wii U Virtual Console that plays older console's games on the GamePad.
Posted Image

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

Why is it impossible to just choose the output for the video on the gamepad and the ir sensor on the gamepad as ir?

I think it is very possible through an update.

Because Nintendo choose to have financial security for the next 5/6 years by not allowing Wii hacks to allow piracy on the Wii U and it's software for the time of the console.

They locked out Wii mode from the wii u hardware, as I explained above.

Possible if Nintendo wanted to, sure. Don't count on it.

As a software engineer I can tell you it's not impossible by any stretch of the imagination, and the decision to not allow us to play Wii games on the GamePad likely comes from a financial and marketing perspective. I can't see any Nintendo engineers being actively against such functionality.. in my experience it's likely not an engineer's/developer's decision, but a decision from executives/higher ups.

Now, as for actually getting it done outside of Nintendo's official stamp... yes it's possible though it depends on if someone, or a group of people, dedicates enough time to hacking into the Wii U system and getting it to support homebrew apps. The system has been out less than a week, I'm sure the Wii U will inevitably get some support from the wii homebrew community. Once there's people who manage to hack into the Wii U, it's only a matter of time before the signal to the GamePad is reverse engineered. Figuring out if it's encrypted, and decrypting the signal and message, may take a while - and that goes without mentioning figuring out how the communication stream works and should be formatted. It's not just presentation layers (video and audio) being sent in a stream wirelessly, there's also the interaction layers (input/output) stream.

To put it a little simpler: hack the Wii U so they can mess with the low level code, figure out how they can load homebrew apps onto the Wii U, decipher the GamePad's signal(s), create a basic homebrew app that can communicate with the GamePad (send and receive data in both directions), and once all that's done they can do something useful such as make the homebrew app read a list of ROM off your SD card and let you load it up play the game directly on your GamePad.

This would be a lot of work for someone outside of Nintendo, and it's not something I envision Nintendo supporting in the near future. Let me rephrase actually - I don't see Nintendo offering the functionality to play Wii games directly on the GamePad anytime soon (if ever), but I can't see any reason Nintendo wouldn't make a Wii U Virtual Console that plays older console's games on the GamePad.

I thought she meant was it possible for her to play them that way legitimately right now, not was it possible for someone to reverse engineer a console and the console before that console to melt them together and allow piracy to achieve her goals in about 4 years.

It's possible, but it won't happen, because Nintendo are a company who don't want piracy to even have a chance at happening, and that's what allowing Wii software to access the new Wii U side of the console would do. Give hackers a chance.

Edited by Nollog, 21 November 2012 - 07:26 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Will be possible after a future update, maybe, people stop posting about 100 of the same thread, we have a search bar for a reason you know.

#10 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Not at this time. But it may be possible in the future with an update.

No it can't be done and no it won't be possible in the future. Wii mode deactivates all Wii U accessories including the Gamepad.

#11 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I thought she meant was it possible for her to play them that way legitimately right now, not was it possible for someone to reverse engineer a console and the console before that console to melt them together and allow piracy to achieve her goals in about 4 years.

It's possible, but it won't happen, because Nintendo are a company who don't want piracy to even have a chance at happening, and that's what allowing Wii software to access the new Wii U side of the console would do. Give hackers a chance.

Playing Wii games (with a physical disc) on the GamePad, will likely not happen from Nintendo nor the homebrew community.The only way I see playing Wii games on the GamePad is if some developers do like I said above, which is to reverse engineer the Wii U and make a custom homebrew app that uses ROMs.

No it can't be done and no it won't be possible in the future. Wii mode deactivates all Wii U accessories including the Gamepad.

From a "theoretically possible" perspective, It's not that it can't be done, it's that Nintendo took the stance to not allow it/not do it.

But for a basic answer, right now you cannot play original Wii games on the GamePad and that will likely never change.

Edited by bornsupercharged, 21 November 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Playing Wii games (with a physical disc) on the GamePad, will likely not happen from Nintendo nor the homebrew community.The only way I see playing Wii games on the GamePad is if some developers do like I said above, which is to reverse engineer the Wii U and make a custom homebrew app that uses ROMs.

From a "theoretically possible" perspective, It's not that it can't be done, it's that Nintendo took the stance to not allow it/not do it.

But for a basic answer, right now you cannot play original Wii games on the GamePad and that will likely never change.

Whether its theoretically possible or not Nintendo will never allow it.

#13 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I think Iwata said that in a future update you will be able to play VC games on the gamepad.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#14 illogicology

illogicology

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I don't think playing Wii games on the Gamepad really makes sense. I mean, for most Wii games you're talking about co-ordinating the Gamepad and Wii Remote which is just really awkward. Sure it would be nice if it worked for games that support the classic controller but that's really not that many games. For Virtual Console stuff there's just no excuse though. I know the Wii U's own virtual console is coming soon, but it will be quite disappointing if Nintendo expects us to buy the NES Super Mario Bros. all over again just so we don't have to play it in their fenced off little Wii Mode.

#15 Sargon

Sargon

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

You don't know what is possible in the future. It is certainly possible for Nintendo to release a software update that changes how Wii mode functions altogether. The question is whether that is where they will dedicate their resources, but to simply say that it won't be possible in the future is rather short-sighted.

#16 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

There should be an official Wii U questions thread... Any who, please use the search option next time please!

#17 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

That didn't take long.. supposedly a group has already hacked the Wii U and got homebrew apps running.
http://www.pc-tablet...dy-jail-broken/
Posted Image

#18 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

Because Nintendo choose to have financial security for the next 5/6 years by not allowing Wii hacks to allow piracy on the Wii U and it's software for the time of the console.

They locked out Wii mode from the wii u hardware, as I explained above.

Possible if Nintendo wanted to, sure. Don't count on it.

Well right now it's locked as you say. But still the wii mode uses the hdmi output and the ir sensor through the wii u. I don't think just changing the output to the gamepad's screen and the gamepad's ir would allow for piracy?

Just to let you know, I know nothing about this. I just guess.

Edited by Hinkik, 22 November 2012 - 07:43 AM.

28gxdv8.png

#19 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

You don't know what is possible in the future. It is certainly possible for Nintendo to release a software update that changes how Wii mode functions altogether. The question is whether that is where they will dedicate their resources, but to simply say that it won't be possible in the future is rather short-sighted.

For the sake of repeating myself whether its possible or not it will not happen. Nintendo will not implement it.

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

That didn't take long.. supposedly a group has already hacked the Wii U and got homebrew apps running.
http://www.pc-tablet...dy-jail-broken/

That is wii homebrew.
which is why Nintendo locked out all wii u hardware from wii mode.
The wii was like swiss cheese, the only way to realistically protect themselves and still have backward compatibility would be to do it this way.

Well right now it's locked as you say. But still the wii mode uses the hdmi output and the ir sensor through the wii u. I don't think just changing the output to the gamepad's screen and the gamepad's ir would allow for piracy?

Just to let you know, I know nothing about this. I just guess.

Because giving access to ANYTHING of the new hardware allows for a potential route for piracy and homebrew hackers.
It's like a game of poker.
You can have 4 aces, but if you say "oh my god look at all my aces", will you still win as much as you would had you said nothing?
The example sounded better in my head.

Is possible to do of course, like how it's possible for sony to re-release crash bandicoot on PSV, but it shant happen for reasons of money.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!