• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Has anybody else noticed their disc drive to be a little on the loud side? It seems anytime a disc is inserted it is spinning regardless if you're playing a game or not. Let me be clear, it is not making any strange loud noises, clicking, snap-crackle-popping, but you'd think the disc would spin up when first inserted then sit idle until you actually start up a game. I have a feeling this is normal, but thought I'd check. Do you think this is something that could be resolved by a software fix? Something in the software that would tell the disc drive to remain in "hibernation" until a command is sent to the system to play a game off the disc and then spin up the drive.

#2 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

A noisy disc drive means that your console may spontaneously combust at any given moment

#3 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

How do you know it's the disc drive and not the fan?
Has it increased in sound from when you first bought it?

#4 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

:P :P

A noisy disc drive means that your console may spontaneously combust at any given moment

mitch you and smart uh... ass-isting

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Sound proof it :P

#6 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Has anybody else noticed their disc drive to be a little on the loud side? It seems anytime a disc is inserted it is spinning regardless if you're playing a game or not. Let me be clear, it is not making any strange loud noises, clicking, snap-crackle-popping, but you'd think the disc would spin up when first inserted then sit idle until you actually start up a game. I have a feeling this is normal, but thought I'd check. Do you think this is something that could be resolved by a software fix? Something in the software that would tell the disc drive to remain in "hibernation" until a command is sent to the system to play a game off the disc and then spin up the drive.

I agree - the disc loading can be pretty loud at times...I don't notice it all the times, but with the long load times on games..especially Zombi U for instance..its very noticeable

How do you know it's the disc drive and not the fan?
Has it increased in sound from when you first bought it?

It would be pretty hard to confuse those two, I know what he means.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#7 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

My xbox does this...It normally happens when the disk isn't clean or is damaged but it also occurs with discs that have alot of data on them ....for example in my situation it was BF3

wjapt2.jpg

#8 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

It's definitely not the fan. The sound is only there when there is a disc in the system (whether playing the game or not) - unless the power is off, of course. As I said, it doesn't sound completely abnormal. I'm just surprised the drive spins the disc at all times when inserted in the console w/power on.

#9 TylerV

TylerV

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

That happened to my old Wii. It stopped working ~2-3 months later.

#10 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

So nobody else here has a consistent "whirring" sound while a disc is inserted? I find it hard to believe I'm the only one. Maybe I'll need to make a youtube video so my description is clear.

#11 Ravyu

Ravyu

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Batman, Link and NINTENDO

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

how loud is the noise, cos that is normal with Drives, especially on smaller ones.
A rare 12 Year Old that thinks Nintendo is godly.
PC Specs- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hUYw

#12 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Here's the Youtube video I made. Two apologies: 1) Sorry for the vertical framing and 2) sorry for the dim lighting conditions.

#13 Inland

Inland

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

Wow, you're right. Discs never stop spinning unless the console is powered off. Same went for regular Wii discs as well.
When a foreign media such as a blu ray movie is inserted, the disc drive stops spinning once the console deems it unrecognized.

I'm sure Nintendo will address this with a firmware update ASAP. There is no need for the disc to be spinning until infinity like this.

For now I guess I would advise everyone to eject all discs when not in use to save from unnecessary wear and tear on the drive.

Since apparently we as consumers are the Beta testers, please contact Nintendo about this issue. They of course can't resolve a problem that they aren't aware of without our feedback.

Edited by Inland, 25 November 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#14 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

My disc drive isn't that noisy while playing games at the moment. It's practically silent in the middle of gameplay. The only times I hear sound coming from it are when the console boots up, ejecting a disc and inserting a disc. Obviously depending on the game you're playing, the disc drive might make a little noise ( case in point: ZombiU), I remember hearing the disc drive silently while playing Skylanders Giants ( a 1080p game with huge open levels, while constantly saving data to a figure, so it makes sense that the disc drive is a little noisy while playing that game). I always eject my discs when not in use.

Edited by Firejonie, 25 November 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#15 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

To be fair, the video I shot was with my iPhone not just a few inches away from the console with nothing else making any noise in my apartment at the time the video was shot. It was in the early evening so there really wasn't any real ambient noise to speak of and windows were closed so there was no outside street noise, etc. If I've got a disc in the drive and windows are open, people are talking, turn the stereo up to a moderate level and so on, you can't hear it. But if the environment is relatively quiet and I'm using the stereo at a lower level while a disc is in, you can hear it. Like I said, it's not like it's blaring loud, but it's there.

#16 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

does it randomly start making a hissing noise? my wii u just did that

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#17 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

I thought that was a normal thing that happens. Heck, the wii has done the same thing for years.

Usually, I only put a disc in when I want to play a game, and then eject it once I'm done playing.

Edited by SDDMN, 28 November 2012 - 06:43 PM.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#18 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

does it randomly start making a hissing noise? my wii u just did that

Not as far as I can tell. I don't think the noise I was describing is related to your issue.

I thought that was a normal thing that happens. Heck, the wii has done the same thing for years.

Usually, I only put a disc in when I want to play a game, and then eject it once I'm done playing.

You're probably right about the Wii. I suppose I could pop a disc into my Wii and see what happens with it as well. I just didn't think about it. To be honest, it's been quite a while since I actually felt compelled to play something on the Wii. The last time I turned it on was to do the system migration and there was no disc in the drive. Prior to that, I'm sure it had been at least a couple months since I used the Wii.

#19 duck360

duck360

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metal Gear Solid, Big Boss!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

I never noticed anything like this. I'll check next time I play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!