• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Skogheim

Mr.Skogheim

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

So far Wii U looks GREAT! Only issue is that the update is taking forever.
Be patient!

Mr.Skogheim

#2 susanmary428

susanmary428

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Mine took over an hour on high speed broadband. And get ready for another update when you insert the NintendoLand disc for the first time. That was another 15-20 minutes.
Playing Nintendo for 25 years...playing Nintendo for 50 more! @rainbow_spark

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4860-6744 / Nintendo Network ID: suzy_jose

#3 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Looking forward to the updates, haha.

#4 x-SourApple-x

x-SourApple-x

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

That big update only took me 1 hour.
http://www.youtube.com/oswingaming
https://twitter.com/OswinGaming

I have sold my Wii U, so if I deleted you from NN before I sold it, or haven't accepted your friend request since, this is why.

#5 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Seriously?!? mine took maybe 20 minutes tops, will bung nintendo land in and see how long that update takes.
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#6 x-SourApple-x

x-SourApple-x

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Seriously?!? mine took maybe 20 minutes tops, will bung nintendo land in and see how long that update takes.

I'm only on like 4MB internet though, so that's why.

I have sold my Wii U, so if I deleted you from NN before I sold it, or haven't accepted your friend request since, this is why.

#7 Nintendo

Nintendo

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm only on like 4MB internet though, so that's why.

Regarding your signature sour apple, can't you just accept the friend request without having to type in his name to accept?

#8 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Regarding your signature sour apple, can't you just accept the friend request without having to type in his name to accept?

Only through Miiverse apparently.

Edit: Oh right, what I was originally gonna say lol

Mine took over an hour on high speed broadband. And get ready for another update when you insert the NintendoLand disc for the first time. That was another 15-20 minutes.

How fast IS "highspeed broadband" anyways?

Edited by Ixchel, 30 November 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

I have a 30Mbits download connection and it took me over an hour download too. I think that the Wii's Wifi is somehow not strong enough to handle such high-speed and caps somewhere before the Megabyte per second speed.

If the WiiU update is a 1.1GB download, the WiiU downloads at 2.5Mbits per second (~313KB/s) (according to this site : http://download.stormloader.com/ 's calculations) no matter if your connection is 10 times the speed or not which I think is f*ing stupid. On my connection it takes 5 minutes to download a Gigabyte of data and I've tested it, my wifi is strong enough to send at that speed. It's the same with any Nintendo console. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!
WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

#10 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

I have a 30Mbits download connection and it took me over an hour download too. I think that the Wii's Wifi is somehow not strong enough to handle such high-speed and caps somewhere before the Megabyte per second speed.

30 Megabits = 3.75 Megabytes & the update for the Wii U firmware update was 5GB. Of course it is going to take some time. Then add in the effects of the wireless 802.11 protocol your using, their servers upload speeds, your distance from said server, and a few other gobbidy goop that can effect performance on Wi-Fi. (Not to mention the effects of when everyone is bogging down everything by being online at the same time).

Of course you're not going to get it downloaded at an amazing speed.

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

The BIG UPDATE was not so BIG for me it took 1 hour with 5 game updates lol, I live in UK, WE ROCK, end of lol jk

#12 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

30 Megabits = 3.75 Megabytes & the update for the Wii U firmware update was 5GB. Of course it is going to take some time. Then add in the effects of the wireless 802.11 protocol your using, their servers upload speeds, your distance from said server, and a few other gobbidy goop that can effect performance on Wi-Fi. (Not to mention the effects of when everyone is bogging down everything by being online at the same time).

Of course you're not going to get it downloaded at an amazing speed.

No, it was said to be about a gigabyte and, I''m like 2 meters away from my wifi router, so yeah. The signal is strong and, with a laptop, I tested and it gave my full connection. And, even if it was 5GB, it wouldn't take an hour unless Nintendo isn't able to deliver 30Mbits worth of download speed to me.
Take you higher

#13 x-SourApple-x

x-SourApple-x

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

No it's not that, it's because I keep getting so many people randomly adding me, I don't know who's who.

#14 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

No, it was said to be about a gigabyte and, I''m like 2 meters away from my wifi router, so yeah. The signal is strong and, with a laptop, I tested and it gave my full connection. And, even if it was 5GB, it wouldn't take an hour unless Nintendo isn't able to deliver 30Mbits worth of download speed to me.

XD
Yes it would take hours. 30 Megabits is equal to 3.75 Megabytes. Megabits per second is not Megabytes per second. In the normal terms of by the power of two. 8 Bits is equal to 1 Byte. If your connection is 3.75 MB and a download is the size of 5gb your looking at a rough estimate of 2½ to 3 hours time. Being close to a wireless router and/or modem/hotspot does not change the outcome of your overall limitation of your connections cap. Nor does it change the overall limitation of a wireless signal rate. If you have a connection with a 3MB's max, your paying for via your ISP, those two factors are not going to change the outcome of that. (It still would take this long even if you are connecting to a bloody awesome server with you able to max out to your ISP's cap).

#15 Spinal

Spinal

Blooper

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I got a 200mb line, and it took me an hour to dl the patch aswell.
Posted Image

#16 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

XD
Yes it would take hours. 30 Megabits is equal to 3.75 Megabytes. Megabits per second is not Megabytes per second. In the normal terms of by the power of two. 8 Bits is equal to 1 Byte. If your connection is 3.75 MB and a download is the size of 5gb your looking at a rough estimate of 2½ to 3 hours time. Being close to a wireless router and/or modem/hotspot does not change the outcome of your overall limitation of your connections cap. Nor does it change the overall limitation of a wireless signal rate. If you have a connection with a 3MB's max, your paying for via your ISP, those two factors are not going to change the outcome of that. (It still would take this long even if you are connecting to a bloody awesome server with you able to max out to your ISP's cap).

You might not know but I have a degree in Computer Science. I know that 30Mbits is 3.75MB/s and you are writing for absolutely nothing at this point because I already know that. What I don't know is what speed the WiiU is actually downloading at. I downloaded NSMBU in ~20-30min (1.73GB download). At 30Mbits/3.75MB/s, it should have taken a little less than 10 minutes. I know that there are other things to take into account :
- Route to server
- Server load
- Server output capacity
- Internet connection
- Network connection type (wired or wireless)
- etc.

My WiiU is downloading on a 802.11n 150mbps wireless connection. It's not the full 300mbps, but for what I do here with the wireless, it's more than enough (i.e. DS Lite, 3DS and WiiU only. The rest (2 desktops) is wired).
Take you higher

#17 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

You might not know but I have a degree in Computer Science. I know that 30Mbits is 3.75MB/s and you are writing for absolutely nothing at this point because I already know that. What I don't know is what speed the WiiU is actually downloading at. I downloaded NSMBU in ~20-30min (1.73GB download). At 30Mbits/3.75MB/s, it should have taken a little less than 10 minutes. I know that there are other things to take into account :
- Route to server
- Server load
- Server output capacity
- Internet connection
- Network connection type (wired or wireless)
- etc.

My WiiU is downloading on a 802.11n 150mbps wireless connection. It's not the full 300mbps, but for what I do here with the wireless, it's more than enough (i.e. DS Lite, 3DS and WiiU only. The rest (2 desktops) is wired).

Yes, we both have degrees. So we are both smart people. Because we have degrees. So we are both smart people.

#18 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Yes, we both have degrees. So we are both smart people. Because we have degrees. So we are both smart people.

-_-
Why saying the same thing twice? (this is going Off-Topic now...)
Take you higher

#19 wiiufoo

wiiufoo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I wish i would of known this before, if you hit cancel on update, it downloads in background.

I wish i would of known this before, if you hit cancel on update, it downloads in background.

#20 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

You might not know but I have a degree in Computer Science.

-_-
Why saying the same thing twice? (this is going Off-Topic now...)

Maybe because he is trying to mock you on what you said. (Shrugs)
I can understand why in some ways as online a cop out for a lot of people is to go, "Oh well I have a degree in so and so". (Online it can be quiet doubtful).

I know that 30Mbits is 3.75MB/s and you are writing for absolutely nothing at this point because I already know that. What I don't know is what speed the WiiU is actually downloading at. I downloaded NSMBU in ~20-30min (1.73GB download). At 30Mbits/3.75MB/s, it should have taken a little less than 10 minutes. I know that there are other things to take into account :

Well of course 1.73GB is going to be lower, but we were talking about 5GB, not how long it would take you to download a smaller size game. Not to mention we were going of the mathematics of it all. :rolleyes:

If your on a 30 megabits connection your not downloading at the wireless N protocols speeds. It just has the ability to have said speeds if your connection is capable of the such.....

Either your not wording things correctly or you're not one-hundred percent sure of what your talking about. Because you go on saying you have this type of connection and jump to making it sound as if you believe you're connecting at a much larger download rate than your ISP is providing you....
Edit: For example, I could have a 3MB download speed and set say Steam as, "Cable/Fiber 10M" to not see the same speeds. (Not the best example, but good enough. At least from me at these hours xD).

Edited by UnholyVision, 03 December 2012 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!