37 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

Not as far as being the most powerfull, but being hard to program for.

We already have a Tri-Core Gekko processor at 1.24Ghz, aparently only capable of 1 thread/core.

I know clock speed isn't everything, but i expected more threads/core to make up for a slower clock speed.

Is it the 550mhz GPU? Does this take up some of the slack of the CPU. How is it able to do all of this while straming to up to two gamepad's at the same time?

It's blatntly able to handle current gen games. However more and more studios are complaining about the CPU's low clock speed, meaning spending extra time (and thus extra money) coding a current gen game to the system.

Many studios complained about the PS3 at the begining and it took them several years to work out quicker methods, sometimes sarcificing parts of the game to get it to function.

Can someone please set my mind at rest before I start saving up for next gen, because I'm either going fo a Nextbox or a Wii U.

I'm just skeptical that a 1.24Ghz processor 1GB of RAM for games and 550Mhz GPU can keep up, especially if extra peripherals like Augmeted Reality or Virtual Reality make a comeback due to the next gen xbox.

I don't want Nintendo's short sightedness or cocky nature still thinking this is the 80's to eventually end in a quick death for the Wii U. Because if current gen third party start to not bother when it comes to next generation games, then I can't really bother....Which is a shame because I'd really like to see Nintendo actually make good on the promise that the Wii U can handle next gen games.

Anyway need to put my mind at rest, hope you guys can help :)

#2 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

POPULAR

The only reason the Wii U comes off as hard to develop for, is because these games being ported to it are running on CPU focused engines. The Wii U is heavily focused on it's GPGPU. Just wait until games properly utilize the hardware.

Posted Image

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

It's power pc, which is one of the oldest architectures.
It's out of order which I don't know a lot about, but people claim doesn't need to be programmed for specially, but imo it'd need a decent amount of tweaking to use it properly.
it's multi-core, which is now many many years old.

I don't see it being a problem.
It's as difficult as the 360 was 6 or 7 years ago I'd say.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

Not even remotely close. Complete opposite. Which is the whole problem.... With ports

Its clocked so low because its pipelines are so short, its got a 4 stage pipeline (+3 for simd... poopy simd)

I dont think there has ever been a processor piped this short clocked this high.

Although honestly, i dont think it would have hurt to pipe it a LITTLE deeper, maybe 10-14 stages to get up to around 2 something ghz.

Edited by 3Dude, 12 December 2012 - 06:18 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Not as far as being the most powerfull, but being hard to program for.
We already have a Tri-Core Gekko processor at 1.24Ghz, aparently only capable of 1 thread/core.
I know clock speed isn't everything, but i expected more threads/core to make up for a slower clock speed.
Is it the 550mhz GPU? Does this take up some of the slack of the CPU. How is it able to do all of this while straming to up to two gamepad's at the same time?
It's blatntly able to handle current gen games. However more and more studios are complaining about the CPU's low clock speed, meaning spending extra time (and thus extra money) coding a current gen game to the system.
Many studios complained about the PS3 at the begining and it took them several years to work out quicker methods, sometimes sarcificing parts of the game to get it to function.
Can someone please set my mind at rest before I start saving up for next gen, because I'm either going fo a Nextbox or a Wii U.
I'm just skeptical that a 1.24Ghz processor 1GB of RAM for games and 550Mhz GPU can keep up, especially if extra peripherals like Augmeted Reality or Virtual Reality make a comeback due to the next gen xbox.
I don't want Nintendo's short sightedness or cocky nature still thinking this is the 80's to eventually end in a quick death for the Wii U. Because if current gen third party start to not bother when it comes to next generation games, then I can't really bother....Which is a shame because I'd really like to see Nintendo actually make good on the promise that the Wii U can handle next gen games.
Anyway need to put my mind at rest, hope you guys can help :)

Get the next Xbox... Because if you get the wii u you will complain and won't like it.

#6 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

well nintendo isnt selling it at a ridiculous loss so no, also the graphics jump wont be as big as last gen so there's not as much to worry about 1080p is the standard resolution now since higher resolutions arent as common. all of the next gen console will probably look closer in graphics than last gen

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#7 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

If developers pull thier fingers from thier behinds and actually try with the system it should be fine. Doubt it though, the game industry has just become a huge quick cash in now.

#8 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

well nintendo isnt selling it at a ridiculous loss so no, also the graphics jump wont be as big as last gen so there's not as much to worry about 1080p is the standard resolution now since higher resolutions arent as common. all of the next gen console will probably look closer in graphics than last gen

Err have you seen what next gen is likely to look like using unreal engine 4 etc. The jump is ever bit as big (if not bigger).

#9 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

The GPGPU should be able to pull some weight off of the CPU by handling some physics and mechanics, and the rest of the payload should be a breeze for the CPU!

The GPGPU should be able to pull some weight off of the CPU by handling some physics and mechanics, and the rest of the payload should be a breeze for the CPU!
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#10 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

Err have you seen what next gen is likely to look like using unreal engine 4 etc. The jump is ever bit as big (if not bigger).

we wont be running unreal 4 for a while its going to need a lot of tweaking

all consoles will have a way different unreal 4 engine than what we've seen, the closest will probably be the new xbox but most games like cross-platform titles will not use unreal 4 and wont be very different from Wii U graphics

Edited by Structures, 12 December 2012 - 07:08 PM.

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

we wont be running unreal 4 for a while its going to need a lot of tweaking
all consoles will have a way different unreal 4 engine than what we've seen, the closest will probably be the new xbox but most games like cross-platform titles will not use unreal 4 and wont be very different from Wii U graphics

Crytech pretty much confirmed this. 'next gen consoles are going in a different direction than hardware power'.

This reveal is going to be epic.

Whatever, ill wet my jeans as soon as i see anything last gaurdian.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

Games in 4K resolution! :D

#13 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

I've never seen a 4K in my life. I don't think it will be as huge as HD is now in the coming few years.
No sig.

#14 SILV3RSCORPION

SILV3RSCORPION

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Fandom:
    Borderlands , Metroid Prime

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Games in 4K resolution! :D

Yeah if you can afford 25-30k for the tv......
Posted Image
NNID - SILV3RSC0RPI0N

#15 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

the only certainty is, that till to date, wii U is supposed to loose most of AAA games... not to say almost all of them...

Its good to have battlefield 4, but other than that, it misses all the rest. Tomb raider, watchdogs, star wars 1313, dead space, bioshock, crysis 3, sniper 2, splinter cell, metro last night... etc

And thats a not good thing... Most of them I will buy them for my pc... but these games are a must... If nintendo deliberately does not announcing them, then they burry a hole in the ground for them... if they truly won't come to wii U, its just bad.

here is one of the biggest trolls against nintendo on youtube :

look at the list... I worn you, he has one of the most disgusting voices out there... he sings while he trolls wii u and its a bit disturbing.. I wonder why nintendo doesn't attack him.. hahaha

ps: he also made a club named " nintendo hatred club" something like that...

Edited by Orion, 13 December 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#16 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

I've not heard it's difficult to develop for outside of just being new and developers needing time to get use to it. The PS3 issue was about a complicated infrastructure leading to developer under using it's superior power.

The Xbox720 is at least a year off and is unlikely to be able to show off it's power from day one like most other consoles.

Ultimately it comes down to the games. I buy Nintendo (only) because I want Zelda, Mario etc, not because of the 3rd party titles or power.

Edited by KarlMarx1818, 13 December 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#17 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Framerate will be halfed for two Gamepads, on each Gamepad, so there won't be much more strain on the system than one. Assuming the Gamepads don't have their own processors.

1GB is still twice as much as the PS3/360.

Edited by PotatoHog, 13 December 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#18 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

4 times the amount on the Playstation 3. It's ram is locked at 250 for games and 250 for the OS

#19 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

4 times the amount on the Playstation 3. It's ram is locked at 250 for games and 250 for the OS

I hate to nitpick, but that's actually not correct. A copy of everything that gets saved in Video RAM tends to get saved in system RAM. So if you use all 256MB Video RAM, you need 256MB system RAM. Also, I have heard that the 360/PS3 use 32MB system RAM or RAM for OS.

Edited by PotatoHog, 13 December 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Framerate will be halfed for two Gamepads, on each Gamepad, so there won't be much more strain on the system than one. Assuming the Gamepads don't have their own processors.

The pads do have processors, arm iirc but not for image rendering, that would make the update time achieved by the gamepad a complete and absolute impossibility because of the need to acheive processor coherency over wi fi.

All image rendering is done in the system, for however many viewpoints, then the rasterized image is compressed and streamed to the pad.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!