Photo

New PS4 rumors - No PS3 disc based backwards compatibility, anti-used games, etc

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Smash, FF, KH, Sonic

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Its just a lot more convenient.

And convenience sells. Heck, it's all the rage.

#22 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

That gpu is $400+ No way Sony will, or can release another $600 machine.

And a camera in the controller? Seems pointless without a screen.

I think these are bs rumors. The rest we've heard before.

400$? Wow, that would be overkill. I don't think they should release the entire console including a controller for over 400$, if they want to compete with Nintendo.
No sig.

#23 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

it's much worthy of it's own thread, it'll just get lost in discussion.

If everyone had this mentality about topics they want to post about then this place would be filled with millions of pointless, repetitive threads. Thankfully there are only a few threads on PS4/720 so far so this thread is not really an issue at the moment.

But before posting in the future, be mindful of people who may not want to discuss PS4/720 and dont want to be overwhelmed with lots threads about it. Personally, I wouldnt want to have to go to page 2 on general gaming every time i want to discuss something besides next gen consoles.

#24 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

This rumor is saying:

- Due to the completely different hardware being used compared to PS3 and how difficult it is to emulate PS3, it's not very likely the system will have disc based or digital download based backwards through PSN. Rather, they are saying backwards compatibility for PS3 games will be done through a cloud gaming service. Obviously, the cloud gaming service will have a subscription fee. The cloud gaming service will also most likely offer PS1 and PS2 titles although it is expected that PS1 and PS2 titles will most likely still be available for purchase on PSN.

- From the article:

<i>Once you've bought a disc, you'll need to register it to a single online PSN account, rumors suggest. After this, you can copy the game to your HDD (and download a digital version, if you sell or damage the disc). Locking games to an account is already used by Steam on PC. PS4 may not be always online - you might just need to connect to register a Blu-ray.

What will happen to your Blu-rays? It's possible you'll be able to trade them, but they'll be of limited use to second hand buyers - perhaps functioning as 'locked' demos. Imagine an extreme version of EA's Online Pass on PS3, where you'd need to pay a hefty fee to 'reactivate' a used game. This wouldn't kill the used game market entirely, and keep major retailers like US store Gamestop - which makes a huge percentage of its profits through used games (47% in 2011) - nominally onside; preventing a potentially dangerous 'protest' refusal to sell PS4s.</i>

- Sony could offer a subsidized version of the system where you have to sign a contract along with a Playstation Plus Subscription to get the system at a much lower price

- The system will have 16GB of internal flash memory that will be used specifically for system updates and the operating system

- The system will most likely not be able to run games at 4096 x 2160 resolution. 1080p will most likely remain the standard for games.

- The controller will have a camera on it

- The system may have a function where a game will stop(gives you a warning before it does) and an advertisement will be played. This is something Sony patented and is obviously experimenting with. It doesn't mean that Sony will actually implement the feature.

- The system will use a AMD quad-core CPU clocked at 3.2GHZ and it will have a GPU based on the Radeon 7970

- The basic model will have a 320GB hard drive

- Games are already being developed for the system and the system might come out next year</quote>

source:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/213-n&#111;nstop-gaming-general/64905072
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/383330/ps4-psm3-investigates-15-features-of-the-next-playstation-4/

Yikes.

No bc and anti-used game policies? That seems like a bad move, Sony. Retailers like Gamestop make a profit off used games, so I don't see them carrying the PS4 if this happens. Also ads during games? That's just low.

Hopefully these just turn out to be rumors.

They aren't the only ones. Xbox is doing that too.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#25 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

Wasn't this posted on Gaf forever ago? It seems rather familiar.

The lack of backwards compatibility would definitely make me hold off for a while even if I somehow had the funds (FIVE HUNDRED NI-) to buy whatever the system may be. I love BC for two reasons:

You can still buy older games without the mindset of, "But I could save for a new one instead..." This is actually a much bigger problem for me than it may sound. I missed quite a few GBA games because I never wanted the older games as a child; I wanted the new DS ones! I just started dabbling back into the GBA market and the amount of things I missed back then but can't get now because of raised prices is rather discouraging really, and to make it worse I have to pass them up now because of said inflated prices.

The second reason is a lot more simple and I'm sure many of you can relate: I don't need my old systems for more time than I need. My 3DS can play DS games completely fine, so I sold my DS. It was not needed and the cash was nice. This is also the reason I opted in for the 3DS XL over the Vita. If the Vita had BC with the PSP I have no doubts that I would have gotten it as the PSP library is quite large and I could sell mine to go towards the payment. But it couldn't. The XL simply makes the experience better - with a $120 off debate because I could sell my original 3DS to assist in funding it! (Whoo look at them system names clogging up that paragraph!)

As for the riddance of used games? That's just plain stupid, and in my mind I have no doubts that Sony or Microsoft would ever do that. They lose more than they gain really, as games aren't new forever, and not everyone has accepted digital purchases with open arms. This would lead to markets being over-saturated with a game, or under-stocked. It's a lose-lose.

Sorry for the post looking as sloppy as it does - I need to get to bed but wanted to finish this post off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!