Photo

Rayman Legends confirmed to run at 1080p 60fps.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

http://www.eurogamer...ends-wii-u-demo

Great news! I thought it'd be awhile before we saw a game running in 1080p 60FPS, Rayman Legends is definitely going to be a good game.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Great news! I thought it'd be awhile before we saw a game running in 1080p 60FPS, Rayman Legends is definitely going to be a good game.

I don't think the Wii U will be a true 1080p machine. Right now, it appears most games are running 720 at 30 frames per second, like on the 360/PS3. True 1080p is 1080 at 60 frames per second.

So a properly coded Wii U game can probably run at 720 at 60 frames per second or 1080 at 30 frames per second. Some 360 and PS3 games can do this.

You need to be careful about being fooled when developers say a console game can run at 1080p, so you don't get fooled like I have before. Like I think that Call of Duty: Black Ops II Wii U was suppose to run at 1080p, but it ended up running at 720 30 frames per second. Usually they end up running at 720/1080 at 30 frames per second.

Do you still want a progressive (p) TV with these games as opposed to interlaced (i)? Maybe. I'm not a TV expert, so I'm not sure.

But with this game, it appears it actually IS running at 1080p 60 frames per second. It can probably do that because it's 2D.

tl;dr - I don't think most games can run at this. I don't think you'll see it. But this game may. Which is kind of unimpressive because it's 2D.

Thanks for the article though. The subject has allowed me to bring up some points I've been meaning to bring up. I'm just expanding on your post.

Edited by PotatoHog, 15 December 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#3 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I don't think the Wii U will be a true 1080p machine. Right now, it appears most games are running 720 at 30 frames per second, like on the 360/PS3. True 1080p is 1080 at 60 frames per second.

So a properly coded Wii U game can probably run at 720 at 60 frames per second or 1080 at 30 frames per second. Some 360 and PS3 games can do this.

You need to be careful about being fooled when developers say a console game can run at 1080p, so you don't get fooled like I have before. Like I think that Call of Duty: Black Ops II Wii U was suppose to run at 1080p, but it ended up running at 720 30 frames per second. Usually they end up running at 720/1080 at 30 frames per second.

Do you still want a progressive (p) TV with these games as opposed to interlaced (i)? Maybe. I'm not a TV expert, so I'm not sure.

But with this game, it appears it actually IS running at 1080p 60 frames per second. It can probably do that because it's 2D.

tl;dr - I don't think most games can run at this. I don't think you'll see it. But this game may. Which is kind of unimpressive because it's 2D.

Thanks for the article though. The subject has allowed me to bring up some points I've been meaning to bring up. I'm just expanding on your post.

Right now most of the games are ports from the 360/PS3 running on developer kits that weren't the final ones. It's up to the developers to do that "extra" push in order to make their games 1080p 60FPS, I never heard of Black Ops II running in 1080p 60FPS, it must of been a rumor in the VGC.

Here's a link:
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/13/activision-says-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-for-wii-u-not-natively-1080p/

2D easily could run 60 1080p FPS games, that's what I agree with you on. 60FPS has been the standard for gaming PCs for yeaaars, it's just not acceptable for 2012-2013 consoles not to have the majority of their games in 1080p 60 FPS. I guarantee you once developers become more familiar with the console's tech they'll be pushing out 1080p 60FPS games. Obviously shovelware developers shouldn't be included. I do think the Wii U will be a 1080p 60fps beast machine.

Edited by Zinix, 15 December 2012 - 06:10 PM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#4 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

90 percent of buyers can't tell the difference between 720-1080 or 30-60.

Still nice to hear though.

#5 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Right now most of the games are ports from the 360/PS3 running on developer kits that weren't the final ones. It's up to the developers to do that "extra" push in order to make their games 1080p 60FPS, I never heard of Black Ops II running in 1080p 60FPS, it must of been a rumor in the VGC.

Here's a link:
http://mynintendonew...natively-1080p/

2D easily could run 60 1080p FPS games, that's what I agree with you on. 60FPS has been the standard for gaming PCs for yeaaars, it's just not acceptable for 2012-2013 consoles not to have the majority of their games in 1080p 60 FPS. I guarantee you once developers become more familiar with the console's tech they'll be pushing out 1080p 60FPS games. Obviously shovelware developers shouldn't be included. I do think the Wii U will be a 1080p 60fps beast machine.

Just keep in mind it tends to take 4x+ the GPU power and 2x+ the CPU power to run 1080 60 frames per second as it does the average right now for Wii U games, 720 30 frames per second.

#6 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

If it didn't serious questions would have to be asked, especially as the previous game in the series ran at 1080p at 60fps on ps3 and 360.

90 percent of buyers can't tell the difference between 720-1080 or 30-60.

Still nice to hear though.

Where did you pull those 'facts' from? If you want me to get into when one can see the difference between a higher resolution then 720p I can. Furthermore the vast majority of people see well above 60 fps and can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. You sound like the people who where saying "90% of people can't see the difference between dvd and blu-ray" but a few years ago.

Put simply you are wrong on both counts.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 15 December 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#7 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

To add to the discussion.. I'd rather have better graphics in 720/30 than hardware power used to make it 1080/60.
No sig.

#8 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

To add to the discussion.. I'd rather have better graphics in 720/30 than hardware power used to make it 1080/60.

hardware power? You would prefer it not be able to run at 1080p 60fps ceteris paribus? At this point in time there is no good reason for games to not be running at 1080p on home consoles (an old generation that is stagnating game development is not a good reason imho). This is especially the case for a game that can run at 1080p at 60 fps on hardware from a decade ago.

#9 CNR

CNR

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

Dont know much about this kind of stuff but if the game is good then whatever is fine. By the way i heard that the human eye cant even notice 60fps or something like that, can someone tell me if this is true?
Posted Image

#10 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

What? Black Ops 2 runs at 60 FPS on Wii U. I've seen it with my own eyes. It just doesn't always stay there.

Posted Image

#11 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

Dont know much about this kind of stuff but if the game is good then whatever is fine. By the way i heard that the human eye cant even notice 60fps or something like that, can someone tell me if this is true?

Untrue, the vast majority of people can see above 60fps. For example simply moving the mouse around a desktop running at 120fps is noticeably smoother then if it is at 60fps, and going back to 30fps when you have just been running at 120 fps fells like a slide show.

#12 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Where did you pull those 'facts' from? If you want me to get into when one can see the difference between a higher resolution then 720p I can. Furthermore the vast majority of people see well above 60 fps and can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. You sound like the people who where saying "90% of people can't see the difference between dvd and blu-ray" but a few years ago.

Put simply you are wrong on both counts.

Um, ok. I don't want to get in a flame war. Obviously I'm just generalizing. But most people wouldn't tell the difference, or don't have a 1080p television anyway. 720-1080 are very similar, while DVD to Blu Ray is going from standard def to HD. Aren't Blur Rays just 24 fps? Does that really bother you?

#13 CNR

CNR

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Untrue, the vast majority of people can see above 60fps. For example simply moving the mouse around a desktop running at 120fps is noticeably smoother then if it is at 60fps, and going back to 30fps when you have just been running at 120 fps fells like a slide show.

Thank you for the information! Also is there any PC games that take a huge amount of power and go at 120FPS?
Posted Image

#14 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thank you for the information! Also is there any PC games that take a huge amount of power and go at 120FPS?

As long as there is no frame cap any game can (which is whereby a dev actually limits the fps, generally as a result of a poor port). Currently all bar one pc game I have played recently allow me to run at 120fps, including games like Blops 2, Assasin's Creed 3, Battlefield 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, FTL, Far Cry 3, (mostly fps game atm on pc). The one that doesn't is Dark Souls which is just a console game made to run on pc (terrible port). I have since used mods to allow me to play it at 1080p and 60fps though (which is much better then 1024x720 at 30fs).

Um, ok. I don't want to get in a flame war. Obviously I'm just generalizing. But most people wouldn't tell the difference, or don't have a 1080p television anyway. 720-1080 are very similar, while DVD to Blu Ray is going from standard def to HD. Aren't Blur Rays just 24 fps? Does that really bother you?

Not having the equipment of course is a limitation but at this stage but 1080p tvs are cheap so I imagine if they are not commonplace now they will be very soon. However I thought you where saying what one is actually capable of seeing. Furthermore a 1080p image made by a game with msaa is sharper then any blu-ray. Just wondering have you played a game at 1080p at 60 fps on pc? I can tell you not even 1080p is enough and I am looking into 1400p monitors atm (and even then the resolution is still not higher then one is able to see given normal viewing distances on a pc).

Also another consideration when talking about this is the power of the machine, if it already has no graphic intensive games running at 1080p what hope is there for high resolution textures etc in the future.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 16 December 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#15 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Not having the equipment of course is a limitation but at this stage but 1080p tvs are cheap so I imagine if they are not commonplace now they will be very soon. However I thought you where saying what one is actually capable of seeing. Furthermore a 1080p image made by a game with msaa is sharper then any blu-ray. Just wondering have you played a game at 1080p at 60 fps on pc? I can tell you not even 1080p is enough and I am looking into 1400p monitors atm (and even then the resolution is still not higher then one is able to see given normal viewing distances on a pc).

Also another consideration when talking about this is the power of the machine, if it already has no graphic intensive games running at 1080p what hope is there for high resolution textures etc in the future.

I've played a few graphically intensive games on the the PC. I agree that the console should be able to run 1080p at 60fps out of the gate, because that demonstrates the raw power of the console. My initial thoughts were more along the lines of "It's a 2D side scroller, so I would hope that it would run at those speeds." I'm more concerned about how 3D games will handle themselves.

Edited by Goose, 16 December 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#16 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

What? Black Ops 2 runs at 60 FPS on Wii U. I've seen it with my own eyes. It just doesn't always stay there.

Oops. I just checked and lensoftruth tested it as running at 48fps on the Wii U.

#17 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I've played a few graphically intensive games on the the PC. I agree that the console should be able to run 1080p at 60fps out of the gate, because that demonstrates the raw power of the console. My initial thoughts were more along the lines of "It's a 2D side scroller, so I would hope that it would run at those speeds." I'm more concerned about how 3D games will handle themselves.

We shall have to wait and see but I think cod will remain at sub 720p (or did the wiiU version actually have a higher resolution then on the 360 and ps3?) and at 60fps (although blops 2 has frame rate drops). I think most wiiU games will continue being at 30fps at 720p and maybe some at 1080p (but I imagine it will be mostly 720p).

#18 slammers

slammers

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Wii U will not have many games during it's life span that will run at 1080p at 60fps. The ones that do will have simpler/stylized graphics or will be 2d like Rayman. NSMB should have been 1080p as it was Nintendos "flagship" game for release. Unfortunately Ninty dropped the ball like always. Still I'm fine with 720p at 30fps on a big tv. I play PC games at 60fps plus at 1080p but I don't think it is necessary when your sitting across the room from the tv. I do wish the controller had a slightly higher resolution though as I have been using it often in bed. It sucks that my budget 150 smart phone is sharper than it.

edit: thought I should add that my reasoning for the wii u not having games at 1080p/60fps is because the gfx processor in it is not up for it. Even my 660ti struggles to hold 60fps on games like BF3 and Crysis 3 when maxed out.

Edited by slammers, 16 December 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#19 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Oops. I just checked and lensoftruth tested it as running at 48fps on the Wii U.

I've played both the PS3 and Wii U versions of the game. They run identical unless you are playing with someone else on the GamePad.

Posted Image

#20 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

I've played both the PS3 and Wii U versions of the game. They run identical unless you are playing with someone else on the GamePad.

I can only speak for multiplayer but I personally had more fps drops in the WiiU release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!