• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Crimson_Engage

Crimson_Engage

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

This boggles the mind. I see no logical reason to remove the Reset button or not have one at all. Every Nintendo Consoles (we aren't talking about Handhelds) has had a Reset button.

The other day my Wii U locked up while the Miiverse was loading. I pressed the power button on the gamepad to shut it and the system off and that didn't work. The Gamepad turned off but the console was still on as the display was still on the TV screen. The console was hard locked and I had to pull the power cord out to turn it off.

More bad decision making on Nintendo's part.

#2 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

I never really thought of this until now. Your reasoning for it though is invalid since reset buttons generally don't work on frozen consoles. I had the same issue a few times where I turn off the gamepad and the system does not, I always had to unplug power to get it to go off.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

The reset button was basically replaced by the power button.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 GOOBER

GOOBER

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

yep the power button is used as the reset.

#5 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Not even the xbox has a reset button soo I don't think The Wii U would need one but I could be wrong
  • CNR likes this

wjapt2.jpg

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

I don't need one as so far I am freeze free from day one, quite impressed with my little machine, love it :D

#7 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hi peeps,got my wii u about a week ago(early xmas prezzie from wife) and it seems to be running great,ive had one major freeze which was while playing zombie u,i had to turn everything off at the mains which i dont like doing but its only happened the once,both the console and pad froze on me and neither would turn off.

I dont think a reset button would make any difference as like someone mentioned it dosnt usually work when everythings frozen anyway.

#8 count_zero

count_zero

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

My Wii U decided to seize up once when I tried to check for an update. Fortunately I didn't brick the console when I cut off the power to reset it
Crimson_Engage: I agree with you. It would make sense that If you were to hold the power button (either on the gamepad or on the console) that you would be able to reset it. Pulling the power is a "last ditch" debug strategy--we shouldn't have to do that.
Hopefully there will be an update to fix this.

My Wii U decided to seize up once when I tried to check for an update. Fortunately I didn't brick the console when I cut off the power to reset it
Crimson_Engage: I agree with you. It would make sense that If you were to hold the power button (either on the gamepad or on the console) that you would be able to reset it. Pulling the power is a "last ditch" debug strategy--we shouldn't have to do that.
Hopefully there will be an update to fix this.

weird.. double post. we may need to reset the forum

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Ha ha....

Removing tbe reset button was nintendos solution of getting rid of a certain exploit.

Oh that nintendo.

Edited by 3Dude, 24 December 2012 - 07:06 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 OriginalEW

OriginalEW

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

I have games crash on me every once in a while (usually 3rd party games), but I haven't had to pull the plug since the second system update. Now I just press the console power button for 5-10 seconds and it shuts off.

#11 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:05 AM

The reset button doesn't even work consistently on the Wii. The three or so times my Wii U locked up not even the power button did snything.

It makes sense on older consoles where the power and reset buttons physically cut power, but not on newer ones that rely on ACPI or something.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#12 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

There is a reset button, Nintendo just pressed it and the reboot will be finished in 2016 with the NX. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!