• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfman7

Wolfman7

Goomba

• Banned
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I hear that the first update can take up to 5+ hours and can take up to 4GB? Is that true or just people exaggerating. Some people day the update is done instantly and some say it takes 5-45 minutes.

#2 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Trust me, it's just heavy exaggeration. Day one, the update only took me about 45 minutes.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#3 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

took me about 45mins i dont think it was 4gb though i didnt really pay attention just let it get on with it.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#4 ChrisTerror

ChrisTerror

Blooper

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • NNID:ChrisTerror

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

mine was around an hour..... . Do not under any circumstances turn off or let anything happen to the console during the update process.

Edited by ChrisTerror, 31 December 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#5 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

It depends on your internet speed. It took me about an hour and a half to download and install it.

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I hear that the first update can take up to 5+ hours and can take up to 4GB? Is that true or just people exaggerating. Some people day the update is done instantly and some say it takes 5-45 minutes.

It's approximately 1.2GB in size and took me around an hour to download and install.

It's approximately 1.2GB in size and took me around an hour to download and install. It does depend on the speed of your Internet and how busy their servers are. I did read some reports of it taking several hours for some people.

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Took me at least 4 hours.
I'm hearing very similar stories in Ireland.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 A W Reezy

A W Reezy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, NBA2K

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'm in Kentucky, USA and it took me about 45 Minutes to an Hour to complete the update. I found something else to play with during that time... It wasn't that bad.

#9 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Pfft sounds like people are blaming the Wii U for their slow internet connection.

I don't even have fibre optic, just basic broadband and the Wii U update (including TVii) took me 1 hour at the very most.

#10 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

my crappy Unreliable 3mbps windstream internet got it done in 1 hour and 45 minutes (that download and install) the only reason it would take much longer is if Nintendo server themselves are crowded .

#11 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm pretty sure mine only took about half an hour, mabe less? My download speed for most things is 7mb/sec usually though so that probably helped.
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#12 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Ugh I wasn't timing mine, I was watching a movie on my PS3 while it was updating.

LordPickleton.png

#13 jdub stl

jdub stl

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

thats exagerating mine took about an hr to update and install. That seems to be the average

#14 Dean - Bauer

Dean - Bauer

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

It wasn't that bad, mine took about an hour at peak time.
WiiU= Dean-Bauer
PS3= Judgesnipesalot
XBOX 360= dean bauer

#15 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I did mine literally like 30 mins after launch here in aus. Took about 45 mins

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#16 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Pfft sounds like people are blaming the Wii U for their slow internet connection.
I don't even have fibre optic, just basic broadband and the Wii U update (including TVii) took me 1 hour at the very most.

Regardless of Internet speeds Nintendo's servers are very poor compared to those of Sony and Microsoft. It's way too ridiculous for a 1.2GB update to even take an hour especially on a fast fibre optic connection. I've downloade those kind of file sizes far faster from Sony, Microsoft and Apple.

#17 Nightbane30

Nightbane30

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • NNID:Nightbane30
  • Fandom:
    KINGDOM HEARTS!!!!!! RPG LOVER, ANIME

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

To be honest, mine took at most half an hour to download and install. Mine went really fast.
Posted Image

I am me! Nobody else!
I also have an account on 3DSForums.com and my username is the same there.

#18 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

mine took about 45mins to download and install,just DONT turn the wii u off untill its COMPLETELY finished and make sure the pad is either FULLY charged or PLUGED IN before you start

#19 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Regardless of Internet speeds Nintendo's servers are very poor compared to those of Sony and Microsoft. It's way too ridiculous for a 1.2GB update to even take an hour especially on a fast fibre optic connection. I've downloade those kind of file sizes far faster from Sony, Microsoft and Apple.

Very poor?

My PS3 and Xbox 360 both take around 60-80 minutes to download 1GB. I was pleasantly surprised my Wii U didn't take long at all for the supposed "5GB day one update which takes all day"

I can honestly say that I have not experienced any lag with Wii U yet considering online is free and seems smoother than the subscription based Xbox Live.

#20 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Very poor?
My PS3 and Xbox 360 both take around 60-80 minutes to download 1GB. I was pleasantly surprised my Wii U didn't take long at all for the supposed "5GB day one update which takes all day"
I can honestly say that I have not experienced any lag with Wii U yet considering online is free and seems smoother than the subscription based Xbox Live.

Then there is something wrong with your Internet and not your consoles. To download 1GB on my PS3 or Xbox takes about 10-15 minutes which is approximately four to five times faster then the Wii U on the same connection.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!