Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

http://crystaltips.typepad.com/wonderland/2005/03/burn_the_house_.html
This is what i was recollecting. This was shortly after the final specs of the 360 were disclosed. Game devs were furious. (despite all the propaganda spread now, the 360 has a very very weak gaming cpu for its power draw and clock speed. Its just clocked high. One dev deliberately breaks nda, announcing he doesnt care, and complains about the fact xenon would only be able to run things like game control, and ai at 1/3rd to 1/10th the speed despite its clock speed.... Yet the graphics focused units were ridiculously more powerful. He (they all) Complained this would lead to stupid bloated budgets, complete reliance on publishers, And near absolute aversion to risk in the form of everybody making the exact same kind of game with inconsiquential differences.
Which is exactly what happened.
[...]

Oh wow... I had noticed how games were the same and most of em overrated but I didn't know that devs were furious about that! Great to know, thanks. BTW, what happened to the guy?

I really appreciate the effort you put into this post, thanks man :)
Posted Image

#22 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Oh wow... I had noticed how games were the same and most of em overrated but I didn't know that devs were furious about that! Great to know, thanks. BTW, what happened to the guy?

I really appreciate the effort you put into this post, thanks man :)

Chris Hecker?

Hes the guy behind Spore. Hes Indie now.

They are all Indie now. Almost all of the greats from before this generation are.

Hecker just released the beta of the excellent spy party. A Fantastic 2 player strategy game, very systemic, think more along the lines of poker, or chess, incredibly replayable.... And its asymmetric gameplay is a KILLER fit for the wii u, which Hecker has acknowledged.

Edited by 3Dude, 10 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#23 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Chris Hecker?
Hes the guy behind Spore. Hes Indie now.
They are all Indie now. Almost all of the greats from before this generation are.
Hecker just released the beta of the excellent spy party. A Fantastic 2 player strategy game, very systemic, think more along the lines of poker, or chess, incredibly replayable.... And its asymmetric gameplay is a KILLER fit for the wii u, which Hecker has acknowledged.

Wow, having pride to the point where he'd quit his job to become indie... It takes guts, and love for developping. I have respect for this guy, really. And that game looks interesting...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!