#21 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Its a little more complicated than that. A hybrid that could do 150 on the highway maybe. You should probably refrain from vehicle analogies. If we are going there, how about the Red Sled (1400WHP Neon SRT-4) vs the same ferrari. The ferrari has more cylinders and higher displacement, but lower HP/Liter of displacement. The ferrari has a higher top speed, but will never reach it in a quarter mile. It will even outpace the SRT off the line by a small margin, but once the SRT hits third gear, will catch up. At the end, both are 9 second cars, but one of them did it will 6 fewer cylinders and 6.3 fewer liters of displacement. Efficient airflow and compression generated by an exhaust driven turbine along with forged internal components allowed for a higher air/fuel ratio, creating larger and more violent EXPLOSIONS (nollog) that provided exceptional tangential force to the crank.

I partially agree, but where would RAM fit in to this conversation? And I think another thing to add to this is the real world performance of a Ferrari, i mean, on the test track they can say 240MPH that and 0-60 in 2 seconds that but while actually driving on a road you will never go over 80 mph most likely.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#22 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

RAM, 80-90% of it on PS4 used for games will probly go to textures, polygon info, ect. and to transfer to 1gig, lower res textures/drop little details, with almost no effect to gameplay. actualy necassary gameplay has trouble getting over 15mb. the wiiU is designed to make up for its low ram with memory archetecture allowing the system to get alot more out of 1 gig than both of the other 2 consuls.

#23 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

How did this became a specs debate??? O_o

#24 SNES

SNES

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

I partially agree, but where would RAM fit in to this conversation? And I think another thing to add to this is the real world performance of a Ferrari, i mean, on the test track they can say 240MPH that and 0-60 in 2 seconds that but while actually driving on a road you will never go over 80 mph most likely.

RAM is short term storage. It's used for three things:

1. Multitasking. Every program launched sits in RAM. The more programs up, the more RAM you need.

2. Load times. Storing part or all of a program in RAM allows for reductions in loading speeds. RAM is very fast compared to disc or drives.

3. Textures. The more RAM you have, the more textures you can load at once. You can also load higher resolution textures, albeit not as many of them.

If you look at the design of the PS4, this is exactly what the machine does. The sharing and social functions require multitasking. The emphasis on sleep modes and instant play requires load time reduction. And high resolution textures help with that "next gen" feel.

But the question most people wonder, is if the Wii U can compete with such tech. Clearly the PS4 is a stronger system, on paper. And because of this, people draw back to the last gen where Wii was outmatched by the HD twins. However the Wii U architecture isn't as lacking as people presume. The Wii simply couldn't do what the HD twins could, but the Wii U can do everything the PS4 and Durango can, just scaled back slightly. You won't see as many people on screen. The textures will be lower resolution in some games. The physics won't be as impressive. That kind of thing. But in terms of image quality, and if the system can run stuff like Deep Down? Yes, absolutely. It just won't be as impressive in a 1:1 comparison.

This generation is going to be like the Genesis and SNES, or the PS2/Xbox/GC gens, where the competing systems are all capable, with some compromises, and a few games on each that just wouldn't work on their competitors.

Edited by SNES, 24 February 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#25 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

How did this became a specs debate??? O_o

Pfff who the heck knows. I suspect that sega will once again support nintendo the most just because there games fare better on nintendo platforms.
In terms of specs people are still just using the hype glasses to analyze the ps4's capabilities when compared to wiiu and pc. Whenever there is a big event for a new console, people always overhype what a console or device is capable of and sony knows that. thats why they made sure to squeeze as much power out of ps4 as they could for the. launch. Nintendo is holding back as of now, but even pikmin 3 and wonderful 101 are great examples of what the wii u , at its early stage, is capable of. And honestly, pikmin is looking quite easily next gen to me( not much debate there).
Since we are on the topic of Sega, lets look at the genesis/megadrive. Compared to the snes it was a less powerful console but still recieved a lot of similar games and had great exclusives in its own right. The wii u will be the genesis in this situation, it will still get the majority of the same games as its competitors but slightly less quality with gamepad support to help. The wii u is in a safe place.

Signature_Fox.png

#26 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Nintendo should just do it already and buy Sega, they know they want to, and I think most of us can agree that it would be a good move...

Now there's a thought! I'd love to see Nintendo tighten up on Sega's habit of releasing sloppy Sonic games. I'd love to see Sega (exclusively) producing curveball titles for nintendo.

Sonic, The 2K titles, Virtua Fighter and others.

#27 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

RAM was quite my point, cores too. The RAM in PS4 is all about mass and brute force. The RAM in the Wii U is a delicately assembled web.

GDDR memory has looser timings than DDR memory. GDDR5 is actually DDR3 RAM with the frequency jacked up and the timings raised, which increases response times, but also raises speed at which individual loads are handed in/out of memory. DDR3 on the other hand has a lower clock speed, which slows down the delivery of large chunks of data, but the timings are much tighter, which makes swapping smaller amounts of data in and out of memory is much faster.

The Wii U memory is set up in stages, and as you get closer to the GPU logic, the memory applied gets faster.

As for the car analogy, imagine both cars on a 1/4 mile drag strip and read again. Like I said the Ferrari has a higher top speed, but it will never get there in such a small amount of distance. The point is that both are very fast, both will get you there, but in very different ways. In the analogy the SRT relies on mid range peak torque and a very delicately assemble turbine system, whereas the ferrari relies on more displacement resulting in power that peaks at the low end and levels out quickly.

#28 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

sega use have their own games consoles before drop out of the games console war, Sega mastersystem September 1987, Sega magadrive November 30, 1990, Sega saturn July 8, 1995 and Sega Dreamcast October 14, 1999

Edited by Smertrius, 15 March 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#29 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I would love to see some Sega`s franchises being reborn on Wii U and 3DS.

Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Daytona, Virtua Cop, Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter, Clockwork Knight, Jet Set Radio, Ecco the Dolphin (with Wii U`s power? Wow!), Dragon Force, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, House of the Dead, Nights, Sega Rally... and the list goes on and on. And most of their franchises have been dead for years.

Sega are sitting on a gold mine! They have franchises that could really boost Wii U and 3DS sales for a whole generation.

#30 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

I'm sure Sega will make lots of games for the Wii U. I'm hoping for Madworld 2 and a sequel to House of the Dead Overkill.

#31 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

An House of the Dead might happen. A madworld 2 will be really difficult. Not that the game sold bad, but it`s a difficult sale.

#32 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

A madworld 2 will be really difficult. Not that the game sold bad, but it`s a difficult sale.

Remembering how poorly Madworld sold on Wii has me worried for Bayonetta 2 :unsure:

#33 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

Remembering how poorly Madworld sold on Wii has me worried for Bayonetta 2 :unsure:

Well Bayonetta 2 has no choice,  However a lot of people are actually buying the Wii U just to play this game. Let's see if Platinum release a gameplay trailer any time soon. Hopefully during a Nintendo Direct in April (please may there be a Nintendo Direct this April coinciding with the spring update!)

#34 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

Well Bayonetta 2 has no choice,  However a lot of people are actually buying the Wii U just to play this game. Let's see if Platinum release a gameplay trailer any time soon. Hopefully during a Nintendo Direct in April (please may there be a Nintendo Direct this April coinciding with the spring update!)

The original Bayonetta sold poorly and judging from the all the hatemail and backlash PG when Bayonetta 2 was announced to be a Wii U exclusive, i don't think a lot of people will be lining up to buy a Wii U just to play one game.

If Bayonetta appears in the next Smash Bros. it could give the series a bit more recognition, which would help sales.

Edited by VGCrasher, 16 March 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#35 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

The original Bayonetta sold poorly and judging from the all the hatemail and backlash PG when Bayonetta 2 was announced to be a Wii U exclusive, i don't think a lot of people will be lining up to buy a Wii U just to play one game.

If Bayonetta appears in the next Smash Bros. it could give the series a bit more recognition, which would help sales.

Hmm true, for me the first game was rubbish and I have no intention of buying it, but I thought the fan-base was intelligent enough to understand that without Nintendo the sequel would have never existed and would but behind their pettiness and actually say "hey well I can buy this, and I can buy whatever else I can with this console to make it worth while". But I guess I was wrong :(

#36 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

I love how just about every topic in this forum turns into a specs debate....

#37 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Shhhhh I think Smertrius, DéliopT, VGCrasher and I have managed to turn it around. Let's try and not disturb the spec debate team.

#38 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

Since leaving the consoles market Sega has always been a few major third-party supporter of Nintendo consoles and handhelds(hell the first non-Sega console to have a Sonic game was the Gamecube) from having Sonic crossover with Mario to having a few ips exclusive to Nintendo platforms(Billy Hatcher, Madworld, The Conduit), they even build a 3 Sonic games from the ground up for the Wii and made a crapload Sonic games on the GBA and DS, with the graphical difference between the Wii U and PS4 being small could we see even more support from Sega next-gen?

As it has been pointed out before. The PS4's graphical difference from the Wii U isn't as drastic as the graphical differences we had in the 7th generation.

Signature_DK.png

#39 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

As it has been pointed out before. The PS4's graphical difference from the Wii U isn't as drastic as the graphical differences we had in the 7th generation.

With Sega and Nintendo being so close and with the graphical difference between the Wii U/720/PS4 being small, i can't see the Wii U missing out on Sega's mutiplats this gen.

Edited by VGCrasher, 16 March 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#40 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

No, they are two different games. bayonetta has way more appeal than a game like Madworld. Bayonetta 1 did very well, if i`m not mistaken.

Shhhhh I think Smertrius, DéliopT, VGCrasher and I have managed to turn it around. Let's try and not disturb the spec debate team.

:D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!