Photo

Wii U Hard drive

HDD

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Wii U Hard drive (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Hard drive?

1. Yes (17 votes [36.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.17%

2. No (6 votes [12.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

3. I can use an SD card/ External Hard drive./ SSD (24 votes [51.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hard drive's seems to be the best choice. One, it's very reliable. Two, you can transfer data between one hard drive, to another.
I think Nintendo should go for the hard drive this time around, if they use an SD card, I will be highly upset.

I think they should make two models, in both $300 and $350 form. (Or $350 and $400 form, whichever.)

The $300 form will have no Hard Drive (however, you can purchase one at a later time if you should want to) and will use external memory to save.
The $350 form will have a Hard Drive (The amount of gigs is TBD) and can also use external memory to save, and you can transfer data from the Hard Drive to the external memory card.

Just my two cents on it anyway.

The reason that Nintendo isn't using an internal hard drive is that they simply aren't reliable enough as well as the extra costs that an internal hard drive adds to a system. Hard drives add more moving parts than Nintendo is comfortable with increasing the likely hood that something breaks. This is primarily why Nintendo likes solid state memory. You will never see a Nintendo console with an internal hard drive. The wide variety of options open currently from SD cards to external hard drives is more than enough storage. For the average consumer 8GBs is more than enough for those who need more at least there will be options to supply that.

#42 XDLugia

XDLugia

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, F-Zero, Metroid

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:46 AM

I don't care THAT much, because now 'a' days you can get an external 1TB (1000GB) HDD for 60$ to plug via USB. It will of course use some space, but I guess it can be placed on the top... I mean, that loooooong console must be of use for something!

I R 1337

#43 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

There are both SD and USB ports for a reason. I'd imagine that the Wii U would have a small amount of memory (~8 GB) that, if wanted by the consumer, could be expanded via SD or USB 2.0. In my opinion, the USB 3.0 adoption rate is too low for Nintendo to spend the extra money on including it.

On a semi-related topic, why is Nintendo giving us FOUR USB ports when the only confirmed accessory that uses it is the New Controller? If they really are going to allow only one NC at a time, then why include four ports? Controlled, anyone?

#44 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

On a semi-related topic, why is Nintendo giving us FOUR USB ports when the only confirmed accessory that uses it is the New Controller? If they really are going to allow only one NC at a time, then why include four ports? Controlled, anyone?

...The heck you talking about? They never said the controller plugs into a USB. It works very similarly to the Wiimote iirc.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#45 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

What cog said, though I'd like to add that Nintendo is allowing 4 tablets, though they won't be selling them separately at first.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#46 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

Since Nintendo are not making memory cars anymore, they should make portable hard drives like the xbox 360. because i hate taken my wii places to play my files
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#47 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

Since Nintendo are not making memory cars anymore, they should make portable hard drives like the xbox 360. because i hate taken my wii places to play my files

I don't know about that, they would work with a different company that specializes in that to sell.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#48 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

Or they can just let you use any External Hard Drive period (Which is what they seem to be doing), and not milk it for 3-4 times its worth like Microsoft is doing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#49 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

as many of you have said already, the easiest solution is multiple models of wii u for sale at different prices. one including local drive, one not. however this conclusion is almost useless unless nintendo does it. the wii u is so far almost perfect, this absolutely needs to happen if nintendo is to own the next gen.

does anyone know any possible way we can get this information to nintendo? it is vital we attempt even if there is a low chance of the method working.
Posted Image

#50 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

as many of you have said already, the easiest solution is multiple models of wii u for sale at different prices. one including local drive, one not. however this conclusion is almost useless unless nintendo does it. the wii u is so far almost perfect, this absolutely needs to happen if nintendo is to own the next gen.

does anyone know any possible way we can get this information to nintendo? it is vital we attempt even if there is a low chance of the method working.

Actually, the easiest solution is the one they're using... Let them use any non-proprietary external hard-drive. Who cares if it comes with 30GB internal memory when you can just buy a 200 GB external for ~$50? (Which will get much cheaper by this time next year, so more like 400 GB for ~$50)

EDIT: Found a 1.5TB drive for $70. Memory is cheap.

Edited by Wertville, 13 November 2011 - 09:15 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#51 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

Actually, the easiest solution is the one they're using... Let them use any non-proprietary external hard-drive. Who cares if it comes with 30GB internal memory when you can just buy a 200 GB external for ~$50? (Which will get much cheaper by this time next year, so more like 400 GB for ~$50)

Well I guess that will work. I hope the HD you saw is a good one. I have heard that some hard drives get mess up in two months.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#52 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

no it would be cheaper to buy a wii u with a larger hard drive built in due to the economics of it. nintendo having them built in will be cheaper since nintendo will get a massive discount because they will buy in bulks ie ten million in one purchase. that makes it cheaper for them than for us to buy an external hard drive for wii u. having two models of wii u (one with, one without) would be the best way to go.
Posted Image

#53 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Or they can just let you use any External Hard Drive period (Which is what they seem to be doing), and not milk it for 3-4 times its worth like Microsoft is doing.

I really like the hard drive 360 has and want the same thing on the Wii U. is it gonna be anything like the 360 hard drive?
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#54 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:43 AM

I really like the hard drive 360 has and want the same thing on the Wii U. is it gonna be anything like the 360 hard drive?

From what I've heard, Nintendo is looking into a new technology known as Holographic Discs...and from what I've read on Wikipedia, the disc (when properly utilized) can hold up to 6 TB of data...and has a standard disc size of 100 gigabytes.

GameZombie44.png

#55 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:53 AM

From what I've heard, Nintendo is looking into a new technology known as Holographic Discs...and from what I've read on Wikipedia, the disc (when properly utilized) can hold up to 6 TB of data...and has a standard disc size of 100 gigabytes.

I have heard about this when I first enter the forum. However I do not think Nintendo will make use of it for the Wii u. The price would be too high and not many people would buy it.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F

#56 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

no it would be cheaper to buy a wii u with a larger hard drive built in due to the economics of it. nintendo having them built in will be cheaper since nintendo will get a massive discount because they will buy in bulks ie ten million in one purchase. that makes it cheaper for them than for us to buy an external hard drive for wii u. having two models of wii u (one with, one without) would be the best way to go.

Why would it be cheaper? As Wert said, Storage memory is extremely cheap nowdays. And just because it's cheaper for Nintendo doesn't mean that it's cheaper the consumer. Microsoft scams everyone with their hard drive crap, so what makes you think Nintendo wouldn't do the same?

You like the 360 hard drive? With it's overinflated price points? The hard drive thing is much better on PS3 then on XBOX 360. Seriously, you want to be nickled and dimed to death?

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#57 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:08 AM

I have heard about this when I first enter the forum. However I do not think Nintendo will make use of it for the Wii u. The price would be too high and not many people would buy it.

Well, the quoted prices were for 2007...and technology can come a long way in 5 years. Look at SD cards for example.

GameZombie44.png

#58 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

Why would it be cheaper? As Wert said, Storage memory is extremely cheap nowdays. And just because it's cheaper for Nintendo doesn't mean that it's cheaper the consumer. Microsoft scams everyone with their hard drive crap, so what makes you think Nintendo wouldn't do the same?

You like the 360 hard drive? With it's overinflated price points? The hard drive thing is much better on PS3 then on XBOX 360. Seriously, you want to be nickled and dimed to death?

what makes me think nintendo wont do the same?!?! did you just discover nintendo?! :P they never overprice anything!! thats how they make money, everyone buys their stuff because its always, not just a little bit, but a lot cheaper than the competition. i have full confidence that nintendo would take advantage of the fact that them buying hard drives is cheaper than us buying them (as long as they think of the idea)
Posted Image

#59 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

what makes me think nintendo wont do the same?!?! did you just discover nintendo?! :P they never overprice anything!! thats how they make money, everyone buys their stuff because its always, not just a little bit, but a lot cheaper than the competition. i have full confidence that nintendo would take advantage of the fact that them buying hard drives is cheaper than us buying them (as long as they think of the idea)

There's a size problem too; everything already has a place in the Wii U, so making multiple versions would mean multiple sizes too. Most people would probably buy the slimmer one anyway.

HDDs were $0.07/GB... Last year. The rumored 16GB- 32GB of High-quality Flash memory is more than enough until you need to buy a cheap 500 GB.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#60 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

Apparently you are forgetting the 3DS
On equal pricing with it's rival, doesn't have accessible on board memory, so what make's think Nintendo will do something different?
Wert also has a valid point.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!