Photo

Retro Studio: Wii U "great box to make games on." New game already in the works.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

#101 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Yes because Donkey Kong Country is a "casual game".

It's a platformer for children, can it get anymore casual? I don't think it can.

#102 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

What's funny is more kids play GTA and CoD and Cod is about as casual as it gets before a dance or party game.

As a kid we played Mega Man,DK,Ninja Gaiden,Battletoads and such..mainly platformers yes but man they were hard like DKTF offers a challenge. Play whatever game we had for months due to difficulty and only game you probably got for a long time. At least these harder platformers make you think a little and learn trial and error rather than scream at your mom while onlin be asking for chocolate milk or calling everyone a  _ag. Then we played Final Fantasy (when it was awesome) and Chrono Trigger.

So think it's rather funny at the morons who call something from Nintendo for kids when while yeah but gives even adults a good challenge as well. Heck look at kids in Japan that played Fire Emblem & SaGa.

I welcome the kids games if that's the case.

PgWUyWw.gif

Edited by Ryudo, 05 March 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#103 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

I was thinking that too..... lol

tumblr_mlaomvw1j81s93akfo1_400.gif

It's a platformer for children, can it get anymore casual? I don't think it can.

You don't call yourself a troll, but someone taught you well.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#104 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

How many times has a Developer said we are not making this or no plans to or hope to leading people to believe they are not but end up they are. Countless times. Nintendo has done the same no exception. Not saying they are but would not be surprised if they are.

It's been confirmed in an interview.

Retro is most likely working on an new IP, since they been hinting/suggestion they want to do something new. Another team can handle the Metroid franchise. Almost everyone that has worked on the trilogy has left Retro. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#105 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

I guess it depends on how you define "casual."  

I would define it as a game that you can play at your convenience and at your level of difficulty.  Even then, you can have a game that appeals to a "hardcore" audience-  Injustice as a very very easy level as well as a very difficult setting.  SM3DW- can be very challenging or for casuals.  Donkey Kong, even tho light hearted in content/subject matter is pretty difficult, and yes, I would say intense.  

#106 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

lol is this a joke?

I don't think you understand the point of Retro's DK games. They're supposed to be a throwback to the days when games were actually challenging.. Just because a game is suitable for all ages doesn't mean it is "casual".

As Ryudo said lots of kids play call of duty, is that casual in your eyes?

Oh no it won't be cuz it haz gunz and blud and splosions. It's so mature!

#107 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

lol is this a joke?

I don't think you understand the point of Retro's DK games. They're supposed to be a throwback to the days when games were actually challenging.. Just because a game is suitable for all ages doesn't mean it is "casual".

As Ryudo said lots of kids play call of duty, is that casual in your eyes?

Oh no it won't be cuz it haz gunz and blud and splosions. It's so mature!

Call of Duty and games of that ilk are equally as casual.

#108 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I know this is off-topic (literally), but I had to reply to this recent discussion of what makes a "casual" game. To be honest, all games are casual, at least in my opinion. Isn't that what games are meant for? Relaxing and having fun?

Sure, there are games like Smash Brothers or other fighting games where there are mass competitions and stuff, and of course you'd be right to say that those competitions are anything but casual, but they're just taking a game that was meant for relaxing and having fun and using it for competition. Then there's games like Halo: Combat Evolved singleplayer and Metroid Prime. Pretty decently difficult games. But Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are really difficult as well. The statement that DK is a "children's platformer" is both wrong and irrelevant. Children can play it, yes, but they can also play Bioshock Infinite. Likewise, adults can play their "hardcore" games just fine, but they can also play Donkey Kong and find just as much of a challenge as in a "mature" FPS.

So, I think it all boils down to difference in terminology, as do a lot of debates withing the gaming community. Rather than splitting games into "hardcore" and "casual" groups, we should divide them into "difficult" and "easy" games.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#109 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

I know this is off-topic (literally), but I had to reply to this recent discussion of what makes a "casual" game. To be honest, all games are casual, at least in my opinion. Isn't that what games are meant for? Relaxing and having fun?

Sure, there are games like Smash Brothers or other fighting games where there are mass competitions and stuff, and of course you'd be right to say that those competitions are anything but casual, but they're just taking a game that was meant for relaxing and having fun and using it for competition. Then there's games like Halo: Combat Evolved singleplayer and Metroid Prime. Pretty decently difficult games. But Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are really difficult as well. The statement that DK is a "children's platformer" is both wrong and irrelevant. Children can play it, yes, but they can also play Bioshock Infinite. Likewise, adults can play their "hardcore" games just fine, but they can also play Donkey Kong and find just as much of a challenge as in a "mature" FPS.

So, I think it all boils down to difference in terminology, as do a lot of debates withing the gaming community. Rather than splitting games into "hardcore" and "casual" groups, we should divide them into "difficult" and "easy" games.

Zelda is difficult, but I find it more fun and casual that, say, Rust. Rust is not casual by any stretch of the definition, and really leaves you stressed out afterwards.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#110 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

Yeah and then some games that use a lot of strategy where your brain hurts and need break from thinking so hard sorta like Chess.

I know some visual novels or AA series it's fun yes but at times you had to take a forced break.  Then games that while based on reaction time and skill. Can take repeated trial and error even where you get frustrated but push through and pays off. (more recent and popular example of the latter is maybe Dark Souls)

I also would not put flight sims as casual either. People who are serious about those things. Go all out and it's nuts but awesome.

All the gauges and variables and adjustments. I can't say for all that claim to be a flight sim (also the term sim in game titles is overused now) but I know some are almost the  same as flying a plane without the danger.

#111 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Yeah and then some games that use a lot of strategy where your brain hurts and need break from thinking so hard sorta like Chess.

I know some visual novels or AA series it's fun yes but at times you had to take a forced break.  Then games that while based on reaction time and skill. Can take repeated trial and error even where you get frustrated but push through and pays off. (more recent and popular example of the latter is maybe Dark Souls)

I also would not put flight sims as casual either. People who are serious about those things. Go all out and it's nuts but awesome.

All the gauges and variables and adjustments. I can't say for all that claim to be a flight sim (also the term sim in game titles is overused now) but I know some are almost the  same as flying a plane without the danger.

My stepdad is a pilot and a few times a year he has to go down to Seattle or Toronto and do flight simulator training, to ensure he's still a proficient pilot and see how he handles serious situations. Definitely not casual.

Edited by grahamf, 05 March 2014 - 02:08 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#112 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Whether or not a game provides challenge or not has little to no bearing on whether it is casual or not.

Nintendo gave a very specific definition for what they consider makes a game casual, and what they do to design a game as casual. And difficulty is not a factor.

Technically, dkcr and sm3dw world has faaaaar more challenge (everyone can pitch a bunch of demanding levels) Than say Zelda.

But those games are casual by design, while Zelda is not.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#113 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Zelda is difficult, but I find it more fun and casual that, say, Rust. Rust is not casual by any stretch of the definition, and really leaves you stressed out afterwards.

Wait, so... Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

Sorry, I'm dumb. xD

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#114 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

So, what doesn't classify as a casual game to you, Sail?

Go on, name some.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#115 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

All right, if it's that important to you, we can continue this argument. You started out saying that the Bioshock style Metroid art wouldn't happen because it's too feminazi. Knowing that "feminazi" is a term used by misogynists to describe some feminists, I wondered what you actually meant by using "feminazi" to describe the Samus in the Bioshock pic. Your answer was that you meant that a feminazi is an "extreme, manly, militant... Chick". I found it questionable to use a term like that to describe a female that's not feminine enough for your liking, and that people will probably think you're sexist for doing it. As I said, I never argued against your point that it's a good idea to have an attractive looking Samus.

It was obvious you wanted to create an argument where there was none, so i will oblige you.

You call someone a "misogynist" simply because some choose to use a terms that describes multiple traits, instead of using a long, drawn out sentence. And some feminists do in fact, fit the "feminazi" term. Maybe not all, but some definitely do. And even those that do fit the word aren't "hated" such as the terms you use imply. You are creating a straw man so you can burn it down. But that straw man is fictitious - only exists in your mind.

A misogynist is defined literally as a "man who hates women."

The only one guilty of labeling people is you.  Just because someone sees a woman trying to be manly and militant (not a woman who isn't feminine or attractive enough for ME... a woman acting like a man and trying to look manly-when it's not halloween... there is a huge difference. That is not sexist. Trying to remove femininity as a female trait, however, IS very sexist.), doesn't mean they hate women. LOL. Nice try though. Jump to conclusions much? I'll answer for you - definitely.

the term feminazi describes the picture to me. that was the subject. It was you who took it out of context, claiming the use of the term (especially in a context in which it definitely applies) makes someone a sexist woman hater is utterly ridiculous. It means that chick in the bioshock pic looks like a feminazi.

Next you'll boycott SNL because they used to air a comedy show that calls skinny guys "girly men." LOL

#116 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

All this manly women talk and everyone has forgotten...

#117 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

All this manly women talk and everyone has forgotten...

LOL

#118 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Wait, so... Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

Sorry, I'm dumb. xD

No idea. I was just responding to 3Dude

#119 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

No idea. I was just responding to 3Dude

Dont see how thats remotely possible.

I hadnt joined the casual discussion until well after you posted that.... Unless.... Are you a time traveler? Take me to the future so I can buy a copy of X!

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#120 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

It was obvious you wanted to create an argument where there was none, so i will oblige you.

You call someone a "misogynist" simply because some choose to use a terms that describes multiple traits, instead of using a long, drawn out sentence. And some feminists do in fact, fit the "feminazi" term. Maybe not all, but some definitely do. And even those that do fit the word aren't "hated" such as the terms you use imply. You are creating a straw man so you can burn it down. But that straw man is fictitious - only exists in your mind.

A misogynist is defined literally as a "man who hates women."

The only one guilty of labeling people is you.  Just because someone sees a woman trying to be manly and militant (not a woman who isn't feminine or attractive enough for ME... a woman acting like a man and trying to look manly-when it's not halloween... there is a huge difference. That is not sexist. Trying to remove femininity as a female trait, however, IS very sexist.), doesn't mean they hate women. LOL. Nice try though. Jump to conclusions much? I'll answer for you - definitely.

the term feminazi describes the picture to me. that was the subject. It was you who took it out of context, claiming the use of the term (especially in a context in which it definitely applies) makes someone a sexist woman hater is utterly ridiculous. It means that chick in the bioshock pic looks like a feminazi.

Next you'll boycott SNL because they used to air a comedy show that calls skinny guys "girly men." LOL

Eh...? This answer is just weird. The only thing I said directed to you was that you come across as sexist if you describe someone as a "feminazi" for looking manly. I never even said you actually are sexist. But believe it or not, if you use a term like that for a woman with certain traits, and you don't when it's a man having the same traits, you probably are sexist. If you really want to continue this pointless argument, go ahead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!